Evolution Macro Plugin

sometime ago I posted a message to prevent sending emails to recipient from an account. eg: don't send professional email from personal account.
I tried changing the sender account feature in the settings but I can't make it work and if I understand well it will change the sender account "silently". I would prefer having a popup requesting confirmation and allowing to change the account.

I think I'm reaching the end of this approach. I looked at macro script but I haven't found. Are there any macro script I havent found ?

I looked at plugins code but I havent programmed in C for decades. Any ides on how and what to do ?

thanks
stephane

Re: Evolution Macro Plugin

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 11:57 +0200, Stephane Passignat via evolution-
list wrote:
> I think I'm reaching the end of this approach. I looked at macro
> script but I haven't found. Are there any macro script I havent found
> ?

        Hi,
I'm not sure what you call "macro script" or "macro plugin", but maybe
it's not that important.

> I looked at plugins code but I havent programmed in C for decades.
> Any ides on how and what to do ?

The main programming language in Evolution is C. There can be made
GObject bindings (then it can be used by other languages like python
and all those, which understand GObject introspection), but it's
generated for evolution-data-serer only, not for Evolution.

You may want to engage someone knowing C, and especially glib, because
it's used heavily there. Such person could start with the example
module [1] and change it to its like-ings. He/she would be mostly
interested in the m-msg-composer-extension.c part (can delete (almost)
all the rest), and it can change it to connect to the "presend" action
of the EMsgComposer, where can be implemented the question about asking
whether the sender is correctly set (the signal handler returns whether
the message can be send). It's different from your suggested "ask on
composer open", but I think it is not a problem, and, more importantly,
it can use already implemented approach (the "presend" signal).

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Extensions#Example_Module

Re: Evolution Macro Plugin

Ángel González
On 2020-06-10 at 11:57 +0200, Stephane Passignat wrote:

> Hi,
>

> sometime ago I posted a message to prevent sending emails to recipient
> from an account. eg: don't send professional email from personal
> account.
> I tried changing the sender account feature in the settings but I
> can't make it work and if I understand well it will change the sender
> account "silently". I would prefer having a popup requesting
> confirmation and allowing to change the account.
>

> I think I'm reaching the end of this approach. I looked at macro
> script but I haven't found. Are there any macro script I havent
> found ?

Which kind of account are you using?

You could configure evolution to "send by sendmail" but then point it to
a wrapper that performs such checks and abort if not met (in which case
you would go back to the composer and change the sending address).

However, that requires you to convert a "sendmail sending" into your
outgoing mail, so it won't work for a EWS account, you might have issues
setting up OAUTH in that sendmail interface, etc.

Best regards

Re: Evolution Macro Plugin

thank you. I'll look at this sample.

by macro script I mean an integrated programming language, I can used to customize Evolution behaviour "in a kind of simple way". Don't feel offended but something like vba for outlook.

bye
stephane

On Thu, 2020-06-11 at 10:09 +0200, Stephane Passignat wrote:
> thank you. I'll look at this sample.

        Hi,
feel free to let me know if unsure. Maybe I can add a simplified
example module to the Wiki page, which would do just what you want. In
case others would find it useful. Who knows.

> by macro script I mean an integrated programming language, I can used
> to customize Evolution behaviour "in a kind of simple way". Don't
> feel offended but something like vba for outlook.

I see. It might be something like aforementioned python or JavaScript
or anything, what can decipher the GObject introspection (if Evolution
would produce anything like that).