Evolution & onion-adress

12

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 10:11 +0200, Jerome Lille wrote:
> > I think the Evolution proxy handling is faulty.
>
> Forgot to mention, I'm running Evolution 3.36.4 on Fedora 32

        Hi,
I briefly checked the code and it looks correct, a proxy resolver is
propagated down to the SoupSession. That it worked once for you and the
other time not might be due to the old connection being used in the
background, the one with correct/system proxy setting. That it stops
working after restart kind of second that.

Would you mind to file a bug report here [1], please? I do not know
where exactly the problem can be, the evolution-data-server is a good
starting point.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

Jerome Lille
On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 10:56 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> Would you mind to file a bug report here [1], please? I do not know
> where exactly the problem can be, the evolution-data-server is a good
> starting point.
>
> Thanks and bye,
> Milan
>
> [1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new

I tried to, but the webpage says that "Please note that due to spam,
new user registrations are disabled. " and I don't have any of the
supported accounts.

/Jerome

On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 15:03 +0200, Jerome Lille wrote:
> I tried to, but the webpage says that "Please note that due to spam,
> new user registrations are disabled. " and I don't have any of the
> supported accounts.

        Hi,
right, you might create an account there and use it to log into the
GNOME GitLab, which is kind of suboptimal. I filled an issue for you:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/237

        Thanks and bye,

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

Jerome Lille
On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 08:53 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 15:03 +0200, Jerome Lille wrote:
> > I tried to, but the webpage says that "Please note that due to
> > spam,
> > new user registrations are disabled. " and I don't have any of the
> > supported accounts.
>
> Hi,
> right, you might create an account there and use it to log into the
> GNOME GitLab, which is kind of suboptimal. I filled an issue for you:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/237

Thanks. I explored this a bit further with the help of Wireshark. I
filtered on requests to the DNS server when I was setting up a new
collection account in Evolution. The proxy setting was that Evolution
Default Proxy Settings was at manual and pointing towards the local tor
proxy. During the discovery phase of the account setup there was zero
requests to the DNS server. But after it was done and I had pressed the
Finish button then I can see in Wireshark that there are DNS requests
for the onion address of my Nextcloud server. That is obviously a bug.
A DNS server can never resolve an onion address.

/Jerome

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 08:53 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> I filled an issue for you:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/237

        Hi,
just a little follow up, thus you know I didn't forget of it. I wrote
it also to the bug report:

----

I verified this and all looks fine, the proxy is used and the changes
in the settings are propagated as soon as a new connection is made to
the server (like on Refresh of the book/calendar or when a credentials
prompt is confirmed).

I guess the problem here is the GNetworkMonitor, not being able to
reach the server behind the proxy. That's filled as
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/1320 . A workaround to
that bug is to go to the Evolution Edit->Preferences->Network
Preferences->Method to detect online state: Always Online.

----

Well, maybe it's not only about the GNetworkMonitor, as you claimed an
issue with the DNS in the other mail in this subthread. I hope the
"Always Online" will help at least partially.

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

Jerome Lille
On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 18:23 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 08:53 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > I filled an issue for you:
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/237
>
> Hi,
> just a little follow up, thus you know I didn't forget of it. I wrote
> it also to the bug report:
>
> ----
>
> I verified this and all looks fine, the proxy is used and the changes
> in the settings are propagated as soon as a new connection is made to
> the server (like on Refresh of the book/calendar or when a
> credentials
> prompt is confirmed).
>
> I guess the problem here is the GNetworkMonitor, not being able to
> reach the server behind the proxy. That's filled as
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/1320 . A workaround to
> that bug is to go to the Evolution Edit->Preferences->Network
> Preferences->Method to detect online state: Always Online.
>
> ----
>
> Well, maybe it's not only about the GNetworkMonitor, as you claimed
> an
> issue with the DNS in the other mail in this subthread. I hope the
> "Always Online" will help at least partially.

Thanks for the follow up. I did try setting the Always Online and it
does help. Although each time I start Evolution it says it can't
connect to my Nextcloud, after one or two reconnect attempts it will
make the connection. This happens even if I just close Evolution and
restart it right away.

What is the likelihood of this getting properly fixed as the bug report
is over two years old? Perhaps it could have higher priority by
pointing out that the software violates RFC7686.

On Sat, 2020-08-08 at 14:13 +0200, Jerome Lille wrote:
> Thanks for the follow up. I did try setting the Always Online and it
> does help. Although each time I start Evolution it says it can't
> connect to my Nextcloud, after one or two reconnect attempts it will
> make the connection. This happens even if I just close Evolution and
> restart it right away.

        Hi,
that might be reported by the background processes (calendar or
addressbook factory, or even by the source registry). Did you restart
also the background processes after setting that the machine is always
online? Is the Nextcloud server accessible straight after login?

I suppose when you `evolution --force-shutdown` (which does restart the
background processes as well), the message will go away. If not, I'd
need to see more information, like the CalDAV log [1].

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#CalDAV

Re: Evolution & onion-adress

Jerome Lille
On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 18:23 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> I guess the problem here is the GNetworkMonitor, not being able to
> reach the server behind the proxy. That's filled as
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/1320 .

What are the chances that this will be fixed any time soon?

On Mon, 2020-11-23 at 09:52 +0100, Jerome Lille wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 18:23 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/1320 .
>
> What are the chances that this will be fixed any time soon?

That would be a question for glib developers instead.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

12