Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I've just upgraded Mint to 20 and Evolution is now 3.36.3-0ubuntu1

However, I was using /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-backup to perform an
automatic backup of my e-mail (plus, filter rules, account settings.
etc., not just the e-mails themselves) twice a week (more regularly
than my whole home folder) ... and it seems to have gone.

What's the replacement please, how do I get it back or is it just a
case of waiting for catch-up?

Re: Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

On Tue, 2020-07-28 at 05:36 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
> I've just upgraded Mint to 20 and Evolution is now 3.36.3-0ubuntu1
>
> However, I was using /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-backup

Hi,

libevolution (3.36.3-0ubuntu1) [universe]
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/libevolution

contains evolution-backup:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/amd64/libevolution/filelist
/usr/libexec/evolution/evolution-backup

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

On Tue, 2020-07-28 at 05:36 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
> I've just upgraded Mint to 20 and Evolution is now 3.36.3-0ubuntu1
>
> However, I was using /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-backup to perform an
> automatic backup of my e-mail (plus, filter rules, account settings.
> etc., not just the e-mails themselves) twice a week (more regularly
> than my whole home folder) ... and it seems to have gone.
>
> What's the replacement please, how do I get it back or is it just a
> case of waiting for catch-up?

Other answers have explained this, however I want to point out (not for
the first time on the list) that the "backup" option in Evolution is a
misnomer, i.e. its name is misleading. It's not intended for regular
backups of your mail and in fact is a very poor substitute for a proper
backup system. It's intended to be used when you want to move your mail
to a new machine, and even then is mostly useful for people with POP
accounts (for IMAP it's not really necessary), it copies everything
(not just what has changed since the last time) but doesn't copy
contact information, etc.

You should have a real (automated) backup system in place that saves
your home directory, and that will be more reliable, more complete, and
more efficient.

Re: Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thank you all for the input.

Libevolution is present at version 3.36.3-0ubuntu1 but evolution-backup
is not present in /usr/lib/evolution. I have tried removal and
reinstall of that package.

I can also confirm that running backup via the menu works.

My main automatic client backup takes a bit of time, hence I use
evolution-backup as a means of, "in between," backup that I can run
more frequently. It's used as an addition, rather than a replacement.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:25:11 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
>evolution-backup is not present in /usr/lib/evolution
                                         ^^^
                                    /usr/libexec/evolution/evolution-backup
                                            ^^^^

The new path is /usr/libexec/*. For more information see
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-July/msg00140.html .

Regards,
Ralf

On Tue, 2020-07-28 at 17:25 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
> Libevolution is present at version 3.36.3-0ubuntu1 but evolution-backup
> is not present in /usr/lib/evolution. I have tried removal and
> reinstall of that package.

The location of the "evolution-backup" executable file depends on your
distribution's package. It doesn't have to be under "usr/lib/evolution"
but could also be under "/usr/libexec/evolution" or whatever location
the packagers of your distribution prefer.
So this sounds like a question to the packagers of your distribution.
You could also search your system (e.g. via "locate") for that file.

Removing and reinstalling a package won't change any file locations.

Re: Evolution-backup gone after Mint upgrade to 20

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Well, that was strange.

evolution-backup was previously at - /usr/lib/evolution - which was
what is in my backup script and was working fine before the update to
Mint 20.

After checking, I found it at /usr/libexec/evolution

I went to test it and attempted to start the test by shutting down
evolution with... evolution --quit
... but it told me that evolution wasn't installed, even though it was
up and running at the time.

So... after installing evolution, I'm going to send this e-mail to the
list, then shut down the evolution that's running, attempt to start it
again, and see what I get.