Evolution can't access contacts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evolution can't access contacts

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi,

after updating evolution, evolution-bogofilter, evolution-data-server
and evolution-spamassassin from 3.32.0-1 to 3.32.1-1 on Arch Linux
evolution can't access the contacts (addresses) anymore.

Downgrading to 3.32.0-1 and providing both versions of /usr/lib/libicu*
63 and 64, the contacts are available again.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62317

Regards,
Ralf




_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution can't access contacts

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 03:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> Downgrading to 3.32.0-1 and providing both versions of
> /usr/lib/libicu*
> 63 and 64, the contacts are available again.

        Hi,
according to [1] evolution-data-server (eds) doesn't build against
ICU 64. Trying to run it against it will lead to runtime errors and
crashes/aborts, I believe. You should see them in some system logs, or
when you run the background processes, or evolution itself, from a
terminal. In other words, I believe the problem is not with the 3.32.1
release, but in ICU 64, which changed API, while eds is not prepared
for it. I need to investigate it to know more. I'll continue on
the [1]. Your option would be to downgrade ICU to 63 and update
evolution* packages to their latest version.
        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/102


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution can't access contacts

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 09:14 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 03:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Downgrading to 3.32.0-1 and providing both versions of
> > /usr/lib/libicu* 63 and 64, the contacts are available again.
>
> according to [1] evolution-data-server (eds) doesn't build against
> ICU 64.

Thank you Milan,

I posted a link to the bug I reported

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62317 [evolution] can't access contacts

and to a bug reported by another Arch Linux user.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62295 Calendar sync freeze on Evo...

Regards,
Ralf


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution can't access contacts

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 09:51 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 09:14 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 03:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Downgrading to 3.32.0-1 and providing both versions of
> > > /usr/lib/libicu* 63 and 64, the contacts are available again.
> >
> > according to [1] evolution-data-server (eds) doesn't build against
> > ICU 64.
>
> Thank you Milan,
>
> I posted a link to the bug I reported
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62317 [evolution] can't access contacts
>
> and to a bug reported by another Arch Linux user.
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62295 Calendar sync freeze on Evo...

Not sure if posting bugs for one specific distro is useful on this
list. If this is an Evo bug, it should go on the Evo GIT page.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution can't access contacts

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:46:01 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 09:51 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
>wrote:
>> On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 09:14 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:  
>> > On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 03:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:  
>> > > Downgrading to 3.32.0-1 and providing both versions of
>> > > /usr/lib/libicu* 63 and 64, the contacts are available again.  
>> >
>> > according to [1] evolution-data-server (eds) doesn't build against
>> > ICU 64.  
>>
>> Thank you Milan,
>>
>> I posted a link to the bug I reported
>>
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62317 [evolution] can't access
>> contacts
>>
>> and to a bug reported by another Arch Linux user.
>>
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62295 Calendar sync freeze on
>> Evo...  
>
>Not sure if posting bugs for one specific distro is useful on this
>list. If this is an Evo bug, it should go on the Evo GIT page.

Hi Patrick,

after sending the reply I noticed that my phrasing wasn't well chosen,
but I thought that sending a correction was unnecessary.

What I wanted to point out is, that I posted the link to Milan's
reply
[ https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2019-April/msg00068.html ]
as an addition to the Arch Linux bug tracker reports, since it provides
Milan's explanation and a link to the related evolution-data-server
issue
[ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/102 ].

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution can't access contacts

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:14:41 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
>Your option would be to downgrade ICU to 63 and update
>evolution* packages to their latest version.

No, downgrading isn't an option, the dependency tree for ICU is way to
long, so I keep up with 64 from official Arch repositories, but provide
the 63 libraries, too.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls /usr/lib/libicu*
/usr/lib/libicudata.so       /usr/lib/libicui18n.so       /usr/lib/libicuio.so       /usr/lib/libicutest.so       /usr/lib/libicutu.so       /usr/lib/libicuuc.so
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.63    /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.63    /usr/lib/libicuio.so.63    /usr/lib/libicutest.so.63    /usr/lib/libicutu.so.63    /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.63
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.63.1  /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.63.1  /usr/lib/libicuio.so.63.1  /usr/lib/libicutest.so.63.1  /usr/lib/libicutu.so.63.1  /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.63.1
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.64    /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.64    /usr/lib/libicuio.so.64    /usr/lib/libicutest.so.64    /usr/lib/libicutu.so.64    /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.64.1  /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.64.1  /usr/lib/libicuio.so.64.1  /usr/lib/libicutest.so.64.1  /usr/lib/libicutu.so.64.1  /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64.1

I could change the *so links...

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -l /usr/lib/libicu*so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicudata.so -> libicudata.so.64.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicui18n.so -> libicui18n.so.64.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicuio.so -> libicuio.so.64.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicutest.so -> libicutest.so.64.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicutu.so -> libicutu.so.64.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr  4 22:26 /usr/lib/libicuuc.so -> libicuuc.so.64.1

to 63 and build the evolution 3.32.1 related packages (or just eds?)
against 63, but instead I'll stay with 3.32.0 and be patient.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list