Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

12

Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 64bit
2 IMAP email accounts, and extensive archives on computer in the "On this Computer" folder.
AMD quad core chip
8GB RAM
250GB SSD

Problem:
Evolution closes when double clicking an email to open it, and being unable to see images included in the email.
The email can be opened and read with the "Edit as New Message" command. Images will not be visible. When Evolution closes it does not crash and does not create a crash report.

Background:
Problem started after a few months of Evolution responding erratically, primarily by occasionally freezing the computer, requiring a hard reboot. Present problem started after replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM (3GB) in suspicion that they were the culprit.

In attempt to fix it, Evolution was un-installed and re-installed from the Ubuntu software manager. Same symptoms. Un-installing and re-installing kept all email, contact and calendar files and accounts, so those were not un-installed with the program.

Next attempt was to delete the two email accounts, un-install Evolution and all its associated files and directories including the archives.
Re-install Evolution and set up one of the email accounts. Same symptoms. Evolution closes when double clicking an email.

Do you have any solutions before I completely reformat the harddrive with a re-install Ubuntu 18.04?

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Pete Biggs

> Problem started after a few months of Evolution responding
> erratically, primarily by occasionally freezing the computer,
> requiring a hard reboot. Present problem started after replacing the
> motherboard, CPU, and RAM (3GB) in suspicion that they were the
> culprit.

If they were then you would be seeing errors in the system logs
relating to hardware, and applications other than Evolution would be
affected as well.

> Next attempt was to delete the two email accounts, un-install
> Evolution and all its associated files and directories including the
> archives.
> Re-install Evolution and set up one of the email accounts. Same
> symptoms. Evolution closes when double clicking an email.

Uninstalling and re-installing doesn't really help much on Linux - it
will just re-fresh the executables and there are better ways to check
the integrity of installed files.  If you have corrupted system files,
then you have more problems than just Evolution.

The best test to see if it is a system/install problem or a user config
problem is to create a new Linux user so that you have a clean install
of all config files (for all packages) and setup Evolution in that
account.

> Do you have any solutions before I completely reformat the harddrive
> with a re-install Ubuntu 18.04?

Have you run Evolution from the command line?  Are there any error
messages printed?  Are there any related messages in the system logs?

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

system error log is:

"The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
(Details: serial 9680 error_code 11 request_code 53 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)"

On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 14:28 -0700, Bert Struik wrote:
> Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 64bit
>
> Evolution closes when double clicking an email to open it, and being
> unable to see images included in the email.

That sounds like an application crash.

> In attempt to fix it, Evolution was un-installed and re-installed
> from the Ubuntu software manager. Same symptoms. Un-installing and
> re-installing kept all email, contact and calendar files and
> accounts, so those were not un-installed with the program.

That's intended behavior.
Uninstalling an application should not lead to loss of user data.

> Do you have any solutions before I completely reformat the harddrive
> with a re-install Ubuntu 18.04?

Get a backtrace which includes debug symbols. This requires you to
install debug packages first. How that's done is up to your distro.
From a quick search, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace might be relevant.

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Pete.

Ran the evolution executable from command line and re-created the symptom with the following report.

(evolution:7107): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:37:52.392: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client

(evolution:7107): Gdk-WARNING **: 15:37:58.410: Native Windows wider or taller than 32767 pixels are not supported

(evolution:7107): Gdk-ERROR **: 15:37:58.441: The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 15216 error_code 11 request_code 53 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I do not know how to run the program "with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment variable"
___
Bert

> Problem started after a few months of Evolution responding
> erratically, primarily by occasionally freezing the computer,
> requiring a hard reboot. Present problem started after replacing the
> motherboard, CPU, and RAM (3GB) in suspicion that they were the
> culprit.

If they were then you would be seeing errors in the system logs
relating to hardware, and applications other than Evolution would be
affected as well.

> Next attempt was to delete the two email accounts, un-install
> Evolution and all its associated files and directories including the
> archives.
> Re-install Evolution and set up one of the email accounts. Same
> symptoms. Evolution closes when double clicking an email.

Uninstalling and re-installing doesn't really help much on Linux - it
will just re-fresh the executables and there are better ways to check
the integrity of installed files.  If you have corrupted system files,
then you have more problems than just Evolution.

The best test to see if it is a system/install problem or a user config
problem is to create a new Linux user so that you have a clean install
of all config files (for all packages) and setup Evolution in that
account.

> Do you have any solutions before I completely reformat the harddrive
> with a re-install Ubuntu 18.04?

Have you run Evolution from the command line?  Are there any error
messages printed?  Are there any related messages in the system logs?

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
 Paul

RE advice on re-installing
thank you
I have done full fresh installations of Ubuntu before (reformatting hard drive) to successfully fix a problem, because, onerous as it is, it is actually quicker than learning how to deal with every linux /Ubuntu quirk.

RE advise to use gsettings reset.
Did that and the problem remains.
Used the gsetting get commands, and they returned window width=910 and height=717.

thank you very much for the suggestions.
_____
Bert

Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™
www.blackberry.com

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Pete Biggs

Please don't top post.
(And please don't CC me on replies to the list, it means I get a non-
list version of the mail which makes things more difficult - just reply
to the list only.)

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 02:33 +0000, lambertus wrote:

> RE advise to use gsettings reset.
> Did that and the problem remains.
> Used the gsetting get commands, and they returned window width=910 and height=717.

Is it the same error message?

Because the fact remains that this:

> On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 16:42 -0600, lcstruik--- via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > (evolution:7107): Gdk-WARNING **: 15:37:58.410: Native Windows wider
> > or taller than 32767 pixels are not supported

Is your problem.  Evolution is trying to create a very, very wide/tall
window resulting in this:

> (evolution:7107): Gdk-ERROR **: 15:37:58.441: The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.

error from the Xserver.

Since that didn't solve your problem have you tried running Evolution
under the debugger as also detailed towards the end of this message:

> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2018-July/msg00006.html
>
> It seems that somehow one of your default evolution shell settings has
> gotten so large that it can't be used.

You will need to install the debug packages (by whatever method is
necessary for your distro) in order to get a meaningful backtrace.

Out of interest, when you click on a mail, does it open in a new window
or in a pane in the main evolution? If it's a new window, try turning
on the viewing pane (Ctrl-M).

If it only occurs when Evolution is trying to open a new window then it
is probably not the shell window width/height that's the issue. I
presume there are other gsettings for the mail pane, but I don't know
what they are called.

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 09:17 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If it only occurs when Evolution is trying to open a new window then
> it is probably not the shell window width/height that's the issue. I
> presume there are other gsettings for the mail pane, but I don't know
> what they are called.

        Hi,
this change [1] might be relevant. You are right that different windows
save their settings into different keys. The one for the separate mail
window (shown either for the message source or after double-click/enter
in the message list) stores the information about the size at
/org/gnome/evolution/mail/browser-window/ (as shown in the
dconf-editor). There can be seen other "NNN-window" paths there too.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/commit/4f2724115c94521540

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 14:28:14 -0700, Bert Struik wrote:
>Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 64bit
>
>In attempt to fix it, Evolution was un-installed and re-installed from
>the Ubuntu software manager.

Hi,

regarding
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=evolution
evolution-dbg and all the other evolution related dbg packages are only
available for Ubuntu 16.04 by the official "default" repositories.

A starting point for the OP might be
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debug%20Symbol%20Packages.
There are seemingly Ubuntu 18.04 Evolution related packages with debug
symbols available at http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/universe/e/, such as
evolution-dbgsym_3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.ddeb.

As a side note, reinstalling packages very seldom is useful. It is
especially very useless when using a GUI for the package management,
since you might not know what the GUI actually does.

For example:

When removing the packages, were they "removed" or "purged"?

When reinstalling the packages, were they reinstalled from cache or
downloaded again?

To fix an issue that could be fixed by reinstalling packages, it could
be vitally that the packages were purged and not reinstalled from cache.
However, most of the times reinstalling packages on Linux installs, to
get rid of an issue, gains you nothing, even if you do what is called
"purge" by Ubuntu's package management and even if you download the
package again. On proprietary operating systems it's more likely that
reinstalling a package makes sense.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
PS:

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 10:56:34 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On proprietary operating systems it's more likely that
>reinstalling a package makes sense.

Hahaha, on proprietary operating systems, it's unlikely a "package" in
the sense of a Linux package. My bad. However, the more restricted an
operating system is, the more could go wrong related to restrictions
and those are usually the pitfalls that cause issues that could be
fixed by reinstalling software. Those kinds of issues are not the
issues that cause problems with FLOSS software provided by "free" Linux
repositories. Apart from this, a release model distro such as Ubuntu,
even shouldn't suffers from configuration issues, such issues could
happen when using a rolling release.

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> Is it the same error message?

A window size error no longer appears, though opening the email in a new window still closes the program.

System log message is now:
"The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 28858 error_code 11 request_code 53 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)"

Running Evolution from the command line returns that following error:
"(evolution:3493): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:35:19.827: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client"

> Since that didn't solve your problem have you tried running Evolution
> under the debugger as also detailed towards the end of this message:

I do not know how to run an environment variable with the executable to create a backtrace with a particular debugger, which apparently has to be installed.

> Out of interest, when you click on a mail, does it open in a new window
> or in a pane in the main evolution? If it's a new window, try turning
> on the viewing pane (Ctrl-M).

Double clicking an email is supposed to open a new window with the email.
Instead it closes the program.
An email and it's included image, can be successfully viewed in the Preview Pane.

> If it only occurs when Evolution is trying to open a new window then it
> is probably not the shell window width/height that's the issue. I
> presume there are other gsettings for the mail pane, but I don't know
> what they are called.

Thank you.

PS Is this the correct posting method?
I had to look up "Top Posting"

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> this change [1] might be relevant. You are right that different windows
> save their settings into different keys. The one for the separate mail
> window (shown either for the message source or after double-click/enter
> in the message list) stores the information about the size at
> /org/gnome/evolution/mail/browser-window/ (as shown in the
> dconf-editor). There can be seen other "NNN-window" paths there too.

Using these hints I ran the gsettings get commands for the /mail/browser-window/ location.
height=977
width=33766

then ran the reset command on those, which then returned
height = 0
width = 0

Then ran Evolution and double clicked an email, which closed the program.
Ran the gsettings get commands and got:
height=977
width=33766

____
Bert

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> regarding
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=evolution
> evolution-dbg and all the other evolution related dbg packages are only
> available for Ubuntu 16.04 by the official "default" repositories.

am still working my way through the options you pointed to on the gnome wiki and ddebs sites.

Ran the following from command line:
CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution >& logfile
and
GDK_SYNCHRONIZE=imapx:io evolution >& logfile

each returned the following important Other messages in the logfile

"
Sender  colord-sane
Message io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1
Priority 3
"

Running:
CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution >& logfile

returned several Important Other messages.
io/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied
o/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied

It seems like it is trying to talk to the scanner and the HP printer/scanner
Not sure it is relevant.
___
Bert

> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> Running Evolution from the command line returns that following error:
> "(evolution:3493): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:35:19.827: Failed to register
> client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered:
> Unable to register client"

That's just a warning, I don't think it will be related to this
problem.

> > Since that didn't solve your problem have you tried running Evolution
> > under the debugger as also detailed towards the end of this message:
>
> I do not know how to run an environment variable with the executable
> to create a backtrace with a particular debugger, which apparently
> has to be installed.

In this message:

 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2018-July/msg00006.html

The instructions are at the bottom. It says

 $ export GDK_SYNCHRONIZE=1
 $ gdb evolution --ex "b gdk_x_error" --ex r --ex "bt" --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

gdb may need to be installed, but it's the standard Gnu debugger. For
there to be useful variable and procedure names in the output (rather
than just memory locations) you need to have the symbol packages
installed (and I think Ralf pointed you in the right direction for that
on Ubuntu).

But it's a moot point - you have already found out what the issue is

> PS Is this the correct posting method?
> I had to look up "Top Posting"

Yes. That is perfect. Thank you.

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> Using these hints I ran the gsettings get commands for the /mail/browser-window/ location.
> height=977
> width=33766
>
> then ran the reset command on those, which then returned
> height = 0
> width = 0
>
> Then ran Evolution and double clicked an email, which closed the program.
> Ran the gsettings get commands and got:
> height=977
> width=33766

So that's your problem. Something is forcing the width to stupid
values. It will not happen with the bug fix that Milan pointed you to.

If the height / width is zero, then the program will choose a value for
them. Can you set the width/height manually to values other than 0 so
that the program uses those values - say:

 gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/mail/browser-window/ width 800
 gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/mail/browser-window/ height 800

Do you now get something sensible?

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 15:34 -0600, lcstruik--- wrote:
> RE: running the environment variables to a log file
> The logfile was empty and the messages I reported were from the
> system log.

Please don't paraphrase but copy and paste the exact complete
command(s) that you used to "run the environment variables to a log
file", to avoid any misinterpretations.

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 15:34 -0600, lcstruik--- via evolution-list wrote:
> Downloaded and installed evolution-dbgsym_3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.ddeb
> Using that hasn't worked so far.
> I must be doing something wrong.

What doesn't work? You can't run evolution? You can't debug?
Run evolution with or without debugger from command line and copy and
paste everything, the command as well as the command's output.

When copying output to an email use Evolution's "Preformatted" option,
to avoid unfortunate wrapping. If the output should be very, very long,
then use a paste service and post the link.

Regarding debugging Ubuntu packages, consider to get help by sending a
request to https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users.

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> command(s) that you used to "run the environment variables to a log
> file", to avoid any misinterpretations.

CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution >& logfile
and
GDK_SYNCHRONIZE=imapx evolution >& logfile

logfile was empty for each of those.

> Thanks,
> andre

Re: Evolution closes when double clicking to open an email

> What doesn't work? You can't run evolution? You can't debug?

I do not know how to use the debug program.
Pete sent information on how to do that.
It hasn't been done because of the focus on the window sizing issue.

> Run evolution with or without debugger from command line and copy and
> paste everything, the command as well as the command's output.

"
(evolution:8093): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:43:44.346: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client

(evolution:8093): Gdk-WARNING **: 16:43:54.061: Native Windows wider or taller than 32767 pixels are not supported

(evolution:8093): Gdk-ERROR **: 16:43:54.101: The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 24169 error_code 11 request_code 53 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
"

> When copying output to an email use Evolution's "Preformatted" option,
> to avoid unfortunate wrapping. If the output should be very, very long,
> then use a paste service and post the link.

The Evolution problem is on my wife's computer and I am emailing from my account using webmail.