Evolution email really slow

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi
 My first time on here and hope I'm doing the right thing.

I've been using Evolution for years. I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu mate and Evolution. When typing an email there is a significant lag to the characters showing on screen. Any advice on what to do?

Regards
Graham

Re: Evolution email really slow

Zan Lynx
On 6/21/19 5:19 AM, Graham Sawyer via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi
>  My first time on here and hope I'm doing the right thing.
>
> I've been using Evolution for years. I recently did a clean install of
> Ubuntu mate and Evolution. When typing an email there is a significant
> lag to the characters showing on screen. Any advice on what to do?
The last time that I saw this was on a Linux system with an Nvidia GPU
and it was not running the Nvidia binary drivers.

The open source Nouveau drivers are very hit-and-miss. They often seem
to work, but are unable to raise the card's GPU or memory clock which
makes the performance really terrible.

The VESA compatible drivers are even worse.

If that might be affecting you then either install the Nvidia binaries,
which should actually be easy with Ubuntu, or use the Intel iGPU if you
have one and completely disable the Nvidia GPU by blacklisting the
Nouveau driver.

The only other thing I could guess at is that since Evolution uses KHTML
(I think?) as its display and editor it uses more CPU than a regular
text editor like gedit. If for some reason you are on a laptop and you
intentionally locked down the clock speed to, say, 800 MHz for battery
reasons then you can get behavior like very slow text editing. I know
that I have seen Gnome / MATE plugins and widgets for controlling CPU
clocks. Maybe you installed one of those and didn't realize you left it
set to Power Save, Minimum, 800 MHz, etc.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil

Re: Evolution email really slow

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 12:19 +0100, Graham Sawyer via evolution-list
wrote:
> I've been using Evolution for years. I recently did a clean install
> of Ubuntu mate and Evolution. When typing an email there is a
> significant lag to the characters showing on screen. Any advice on
> what to do?

        Hi,
it depends on several factors, one being version of the Evolution
(Help->About menu), another WebKitGTK+ version. There can be more
factors involved.

Sometimes, long time ago, there could be a problem with spell checking,
thus I'd try to disable it. You can do that either in
Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->Spell Checking tab->Check
spelling while I type, at the bottom of that tab, or by deselecting all
the languages in the message composer in Edit->Current Languages menu.

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 10:16 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> The only other thing I could guess at is that since Evolution uses
> KHTML (I think?)

No. It uses Webkit.

Re: Evolution email really slow

Andre Klapper
On Sat, 2019-06-22 at 08:00 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Thank you for the replies.

Please do not send me private replies. Private replies do not scale and
do not help others. Please always reply to the list. Thanks!

> I am using ver 3.18.5.2 and no Nvidia products.
>
> I tried disabling "check spellling while I type" and deselecting
> languages but no joy. I am on a desktop and have not adjusted any
> clock speed.
>
> Any other suggestions please?

Not really. Also note that Evolution 3.18.5.2 was released 39 months
ago. So if you had a "clean install" lately then you deliberately chose
ancient software and might find better expertise in some Ubuntu forum.

Re: Evolution email really slow

Hi

Thank you for the replies.

I have tried the suggestions but no joy. I have also re-installed Ubuntu and Evolution and of course, that worked a treat. Unfortunately, it has started again. This after adding a signature but again , this  worked with signature before. Any other ideas really welcome

-Graham