Evolution equivalent of Thunderbird's folder offset?

Evolution equivalent of Thunderbird's folder offset?

J.B. Nicholson
On my email server all account folders are subfolders of the Inbox
folder (or at least all folders appear to be Inbox subfolders when
connecting to the account via IMAP which is the only connection
protocol I use).

Thunderbird lets me specify an IMAP server folder (Account Settings ->
Server Settings (under the account name) -> Advanced... then put in
"INBOX." in the IMAP Server Directory field. A dot is a folder
separator character, a top-level folder named "foo" would be
"INBOX.foo" for example. This produces a folder list hierarchy where
top-level folders appear to be at the top of the folder tree even if
they're actually subfolders of Inbox. This folder list makes the folder
list a little less deeply nested and easier to see and work with
because it means what I'm seeing is more like how I conceive the folder
hierarchy.

I don't find such a thing in Evolution 3.38.1-2 on Debian GNU/Linux
using Debian's Evolution package.

Is there this function in Evolution?

If not, are there plans for such a feature?

Thanks.

Re: Evolution equivalent of Thunderbird's folder offset?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-11-27 at 15:12 -0600, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Is there this function in Evolution?

        Hi,
it used to be in the GUI, but it had been removed long time ago.
Removed from the GUI, I mean. It can still be enabled, when you edit
corresponding .source file in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ . Depending
on how many IMAP accounts you've configured, there will be as many
.source files with [Imapx Backend] section. You can see from the file
content what account the file belongs to. It has these two related
keys:

Namespace=
UseNamespace=false

You change them to this:

Namespace=INBOX.
UseNamespace=true

Then restart Evolution and it should provide you the same folder
structure as Thunderbird.

Milan Crha wrote:
> it used to be in the GUI, but it had been removed long time ago.

That's unfortunate.

> Removed from the GUI, I mean. It can still be enabled, when you edit
> corresponding .source file in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ .
> Depending
> on how many IMAP accounts you've configured, there will be as many
> .source files with [Imapx Backend] section. You can see from the file
> content what account the file belongs to. It has these two related
> keys:
>
> Namespace=
> UseNamespace=false
>
> You change them to this:
>
> Namespace=INBOX.
> UseNamespace=true
>
> Then restart Evolution and it should provide you the same folder
> structure as Thunderbird.
Thanks for the tip. I tried this but it didn't seem to work (see
attached images from Evolution and Thunderbird). Evolution is still
showing the indented folders indicating that folders are child folders
of Inbox. There's also still a collapser gadget next to Inbox; if the
other folders were a sibling of Inbox that collapser gadget should go
away (I'd expect).

Perhaps there are some other settings I need to adjust as well such as
the following?

IgnoreOtherUsersNamespace=false
IgnoreSharedFoldersNamespace=false

Here's what I tried:

1. Perhaps Namespace is case-sensitive? No, changing to "Inbox." (not
including the quotes) made Evolution not find any of the folders.

2. Perhaps Namespace needs to be quoted? No, changing to "INBOX."
(including the quotes) made Evolution not find any of the folders.

3. Changed the following:

IgnoreOtherUsersNamespace=false
IgnoreSharedFoldersNamespace=false

to other values (I tried 4 combinations of values -- both true, one
true/one false, both false).

I only picked those settings because they had the word "Namespace" in
them suggesting to me that they might be relevant. Nothing I tried
delivered the effect I was hoping for.

Thunderbird v78.5.0 (64-bit).png (8K) Download Attachment
Evolution v3.38.1-2.png (11K) Download Attachment

On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 23:41 -0600, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> I tried this but it didn't seem to work (see
> attached images from Evolution and Thunderbird).

        Hi,
you can run Evolution from a terminal like this:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution

which will print raw communication from all enabled IMAP accounts. It
contacts NAMESPACE responses. While the Inbox itself is case
insensitive, I suggest to follow the case as reported by the server.
You should see your set namespace in LIST and LSUB commands.