Evolution issue or Flatpak issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evolution issue or Flatpak issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I run  the flatpak version of Evolution, only because Linux Mint native is so far behind and has soo many issues for me.

Linux Mint
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Release: 19.3
Codename: tricia
Linux  5.4.0-52-generic #57~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
Flatpak 1.8.2
Evolution  3.38.2 (flatpak gitcf56856)

Evolution crashed ( it happens every so often).  So I killed the flatpak remnants and rebuilt the 
the environment, as I do everytime it crashes.  

This time, however,  when restarting I get 4 sets of the error message below:

(evolution-source-registry:14): e-backend-WARNING **: 16:31:13.557: Failed to move '/home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637cd8a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26': Error moving file /home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637cd8a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26: File exists

All varying by the file name.   4 is significant as that is the number of different email addresses I pickup,  and which when evolution starts,  it does so by asking me  configure/import  mail accounts.

Just to verify,  to me it looks like the message is originating from Evolution and not Flatpak, am I correct?

Any idea if  removing the 4 files in question would fix, at least for the time being,  the issue or make it worse ?

Thanks.
Mike

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution issue or Flatpak issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 16:46 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> Evolution crashed ( it happens every so often).  So I killed the
> flatpak remnants and rebuilt the the environment, as I do everytime
> it crashes.  

        Hi,
I hope you do not mean to rebuild the project, aka running the 
flatpak-builder, because that won't help. More helpful would be to get
a backtrace of the crash, to see where it crashed and why, but it's
tricky. You might find some information about how to do that on the
Flatpak site. I'd like to know why it crashes, thus it can be
eventually fixed.

> (evolution-source-registry:14): e-backend-WARNING **: 16:31:13.557:
> Failed to move
> '/home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637cd8
> a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26': Error moving file
> /home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637cd8a
> 03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26: File exists

If I rad this correctly, then the paths exactly match. I'd hope the
error message will show: "moving file A to B failed: error message",
where 'A' and 'B' are two different paths.

You are right that these come from the Evolution (or better from the
evolution-data-server), not from the Flatpak. I guess, and only guess,
there also exists:

/home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/trash/fd637cd8a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26

It can be that the source registry tries to restore the account data
from the trash, but the account data directory already exists. That
probably happened due to the crashes you face. I would compare the
content of the two folders and delete one of them (when Evolution and
all of its processes are off). The error should be gone after it. Or
simply remove all the directories in the trash path, that will help
too.


        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution issue or Flatpak issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 07:43 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 16:46 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > Evolution crashed ( it happens every so often).  So I killed the
> > flatpak remnants and rebuilt the the environment, as I do everytime
> > it crashes.  
>
>         Hi,
> I hope you do not mean to rebuild the project, aka running the 
> flatpak-builder, because that won't help. More helpful would be to
> get
> a backtrace of the crash, to see where it crashed and why, but it's
> tricky. You might find some information about how to do that on the
> Flatpak site. I'd like to know why it crashes, thus it can be
> eventually fixed.

Failures are usually certificate validation failures.. the next time I have one
happen, I'll
provide it.

>
> > (evolution-source-registry:14): e-backend-WARNING **: 16:31:13.557:
> > Failed to move
> > '/home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637c
> > d8
> > a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26': Error moving file
> > /home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/fd637cd
> > 8a
> > 03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26: File exists

This is 1 of the 4 error messages in its entirety. All 4 messages are 
identical minus the last element of the path.
>
> If I rad this correctly, then the paths exactly match. I'd hope the
> error message will show: "moving file A to B failed: error message",
> where 'A' and 'B' are two different paths.


I made the mistake of asssuming that the 
fd637cd8a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26 part was a file. In reality,
all 4 instances are the last element in the path are empty directories.

>
> You are right that these come from the Evolution (or better from the
> evolution-data-server), not from the Flatpak. I guess, and only
> guess,
> there also exists:
>
> /home/mhm/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache/evolution/mail/trash/fd6
> 37cd8a03e065bf4072184cc79851443947c26
>
> It can be that the source registry tries to restore the account data
> from the trash, but the account data directory already exists. That
> probably happened due to the crashes you face. I would compare the
> content of the two folders and delete one of them (when Evolution and
> all of its processes are off). The error should be gone after it. Or
> simply remove all the directories in the trash path, that will help
> too.

Ok. I'll investigate that possibility.

Thanks

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list