Evolution lost my follow-up flags after an IMAP server update

Evolution lost my follow-up flags after an IMAP server update

Jorge
Hi.  I use Evolution 3.18.5.2 on a fully updated Ubuntu 16.04.2 64bits
installation.  The email server runs Expresso – a free mail server from
the Brazilian government.  According to Milan Crha
in [2015-10-15 Thu][^1], this email server misbehaves.

Now, last week we were warned that the mail server would be upgraded
during the weekend.  When I opened Evolution today, Inbox had just one
email (missing many) and Evolution warned me about search folder
reconfiguration due to missing folders – missing real IMAP folders, that
is.  I then resubscribed to the missing IMAP folders in Claws Mail (I
did not try resubscribing in Evolution).  Two problems remained in
Evolution:
1. In one large folder, all emails became unread.
2. I lost all follow-up flags.

I am not concerned about problem 1, but I would like a solution for
problem 2.  Do you have ideas?

Regards
[^1]: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2015-October/msg00059.html
--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.

Re: Evolution lost my follow-up flags after an IMAP server update

Jorge
On 29 May 2017 at 12:13, Jorge Morais Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...] Two problems remained in Evolution:
> 1. In one large folder, all emails became unread.
> 2. I lost all follow-up flags.
>
> I am not concerned about problem 1, but I would like a solution for
> problem 2.  Do you have ideas?
I forgot to mention: some messages in many folders are still marked
Important, so it seems I have not lost the Important flag.  The same
holds for the (color-coded) labels.

--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
• Free (as in free speech) software for Android: https://f-droid.org/

Re: Evolution lost my follow-up flags after an IMAP server update

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 13:30 -0300, Jorge Morais Neto wrote:

> On 29 May 2017 at 12:13, Jorge Morais Neto <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > [...] Two problems remained in Evolution:
> > 1. In one large folder, all emails became unread.
> > 2. I lost all follow-up flags.
> >
> > I am not concerned about problem 1, but I would like a solution for
> > problem 2.  Do you have ideas?
>
> I forgot to mention: some messages in many folders are still marked
> Important, so it seems I have not lost the Important flag.  The same
> holds for the (color-coded) labels.

        Hi,
I briefly looked into the source code and it looks like the follow-up
tags are stored only locally when using IMAP. The labels and other
flags are stored on the server (if the server supports it, which seems
like your sever does support it).

I suppose that the server changed uid-validity for the folders, which
means that the UID-s as they had been advertised previously do not
match (may not match), thus the client is asked to clean up its local
cache re-fetch everything from scratch. As there is no reliable
matching between the local (now invalidated by the server) UID-s and
the newly advertised UID-s, the IMAPx code did not "upgrade" the
message tags and basically lost them. Trying to recover them from a
backup (if any) of the local folders.db file for this account would be
quite complicated. The hardest to match the message in the folders.
Maybe when the Message-ID header from the actual message could be used,
then it'll work.

Interestingly, I didn't find any request to store message tags (like
the Follow-up) on the server for IMAP accounts in GNOME bugzilla. I
would expect there is something for it (I do not mean by you, I mean a
general request). There would be a problem with interoperability with
other clients, and I'm not sure whether custom user flags are the right
place to store it on the server, but maybe not a big problem.

On 29 May 2017 at 15:14, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I briefly looked into the source code and it looks like the follow-up
> tags are stored only locally when using IMAP. The labels and other
> flags are stored on the server (if the server supports it, which seems
> like your sever does support it).

Thank you for the quick reply.  So unfortunately I have to manually
reanalyze my email and try to remember which emails need follow up.
Perhaps this time I will store the follow-up metadata in Org Mode[^1],
which I already use extensively.  That is because I am afraid the IMAP
server might reenact this mess.

Evolution lacks Org Mode integration, right?  I may finally migrate to a
GNU Emacs mail client like Gnus.  No offense to Evolution, of course.  I
already preferred an Emacs mail client for Org Mode integration and
Emacs superior editing and key bindings.  I originally settled for a GUI
client (Evolution) only because Emacs mail clients lack full HTML
editing, but I recently found out that plain text emails are OK in my
workplace.

Regards

[^1]: http://orgmode.org/

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 16:26 -0300, Jorge Morais Neto wrote:
> Evolution lacks Org Mode integration, right?

        Hi,
they seem to focus on the user interface, rather than on
interoperability and after a quick search through their tools and such
(really quick search, I could overlook many things), they do not seem
to provide CalDAV interface to access the items in a read/write mode,
thus no, there is no way to access their data from within Evolution.