Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

12

Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Hello,

I am experiencing a recent issue with Evolution and iCloud IMAP mail, in
which I can no longer connect via the current settings auto-generated by
Evolution when setting up my iCloud account.

When I try to connect, I get the following error:
"Could not connect to 'imap.mail.me.com:993': Cannot communicate
securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s)."

It is important to note that this is a recent problem, starting only
last week. Prior to that, I was able to connect just fine using the same
settings.

I have read about Apple's new two-step authentication process, but do
not think that is the issue for several reasons:
1. The problem started before the two-step authentication was
automatically enabled.
2. I did not have it enabled prior to that (you must opt-in)
3. I tried opting-in and generated the application-specific password
suggested by numerous sites as a solution (which it was not)

My current auto-generated settings in Evolution are:
(Receiving)
Server Type: IMAP+
Server: imap.mail.me.com
Port: 993
Username: just my username without @domain.com (this is default and also
recommended in all troubleshooting guides)
Encryption Method: SSL on a dedicated port
Authentication: Password

I have tried all the different authentication types listed, but none
work.

(Sending)
Server Type: SMTP
Server: smtp.mail.me.com
Port: 587
Server requires authentication enabled
Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
Authentication Type: Login
Username [hidden email]

I can send email, just not receive it.

I am running Evolution 3.10.4 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. All other
networking features/functions work correctly, as did Evolution until one
week ago.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them.

Thx,

KT

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Ángel González
Kevin Taggart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing a recent issue with Evolution and iCloud IMAP mail, in
> which I can no longer connect via the current settings auto-generated by
> Evolution when setting up my iCloud account.

> I can send email, just not receive it.
Then it's just a problem with the IMAP connection, and SMTP is not
affected

> I am running Evolution 3.10.4 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. All other
> networking features/functions work correctly, as did Evolution until one
> week ago.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, please post them.

> When I try to connect, I get the following error:
> "Could not connect to 'imap.mail.me.com:993': Cannot communicate
> securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s)."
>
> It is important to note that this is a recent problem, starting only
> last week. Prior to that, I was able to connect just fine using the same
> settings.

It's possible that they changed their server cipher preferences, and you
don't longer are able to agree on a common one.
Although it seems very strange.

From ssllabs scan, they appear to support:

> TLS_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA (0x9)
> WEAK
> 56
> TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5 (0x4)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA (0x5)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
> (0x2f)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA
> (0x41)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_SEED_CBC_SHA (0x96)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
> (0x3c)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
> (0x9c)
> 128
> TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
> (0xa)
> 112
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
> (0x35)
> 256
> TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA
> (0x84)
> 256
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256
> (0x3d)
> 256
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
> (0x9d)
> 256
> TLS_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA (0x9)
> WEAK
> 56

which shouldn't be a problem under Ubuntu 14.04.

I'm not sure which crypto engine is used by evolution, but
If for instance it was using openssl engine, I would expect them to
agree on TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (result given for OpenSSL
1.0.1h)

As it uses libnss, I would expect something between
TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA (0x84) and
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x2f).

If you can sniff that connection, we could look at which are being
advertised by your evolution (only the TLS Client Hello is needed,
although a few more packets may be useful too)

On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 12:20 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:

> (Receiving)
>
> Username: just my username without @domain.com (this is default and
> also
> recommended in all troubleshooting guides)
> Encryption Method: SSL on a dedicated port
> Authentication: Password

> (Sending)
> Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
> Authentication Type: Login
> Username [hidden email]
>
> I can send email, just not receive it.

        Hi,
I do not have any iCloud server to try this on, but as there is a
difference in settings for IMAP and SMTP, then I would try to use the
same connection options for both. This doesn't work always, byt maybe
you can just try. That means, I would use this for receiving:

  Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
  Authentication Type: Login

You can try to "sync" more values, like the Username as well, if only
this won't work (I think the use of STARTTLS instead of SSL is the
main difference).

        Hope it helps,

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Yes, I've tried that, but it didn't work.

Thx,

-k

On Oct 13, 2014, at 12:33 AM, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 12:20 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:
>> (Receiving)
>>
>> Username: just my username without @domain.com (this is default and
>> also
>> recommended in all troubleshooting guides)
>> Encryption Method: SSL on a dedicated port
>> Authentication: Password

>> (Sending)
>> Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
>> Authentication Type: Login
>> Username [hidden email]
>>
>> I can send email, just not receive it.
>>

>        Hi,
> I do not have any iCloud server to try this on, but as there is a
> difference in settings for IMAP and SMTP, then I would try to use the
> same connection options for both. This doesn't work always, byt maybe
> you can just try. That means, I would use this for receiving:
>
>  Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
>  Authentication Type: Login
>
> You can try to "sync" more values, like the Username as well, if only
> this won't work (I think the use of STARTTLS instead of SSL is the
> main difference).
>
>        Hope it helps,
>        Milan

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2014-10-13 at 07:30 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:
> Yes, I've tried that, but it didn't work.

        Hi,
did you also close & run evolution after such change? While it should
ideally take the connection changes immediately, it is possible it
didn't do so with your 3.10.4.

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

I too can not get my iCloud connection working from Evolution (3.10.4 on
F20).  The server settings for iCloud mail are at:

  http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4864

> I do not have any iCloud server to try this on, but as there is a
> difference in settings for IMAP and SMTP, then I would try to use the
> same connection options for both. This doesn't work always, byt maybe
> you can just try. That means, I would use this for receiving:
>
>   Encryption Method: STARTTLS after connecting
>   Authentication Type: Login
>
> You can try to "sync" more values, like the Username as well, if only
> this won't work (I think the use of STARTTLS instead of SSL is the
> main difference).

I've tried STARTTLS, but with no joy.  However I note that on the Apple
pages it says:

        Server name: imap.mail.me.com
        SSL Required: Yes
           If you receive errors when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
        Port: 993
        Username: The name part of your iCloud email address
        Password: Your iCloud password

To me that implies that you use TLS on port 993 - whereas port 993 is
supposedly for IMAPS.  Indeed whenever I change the encryption method to
STARTTLS, Evo automatically changes the port to 143 (port 143 is NOT
open on that server).  I can obviously change the port back to 993, but
my question is, does Evo honour that port number?  Whenever I go back to
the config page, the port number has been reset to 143 if I specify
STARTTLS.

Please note that I am well aware that STARTTLS initiates the connection
in plain text before switching to encrypted and that the SSL connection
negotiates the encryption on connection.  I also know there is a
difference between STARTTLS and TLS, but Evo does not offer a TLS
option.

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 09:37 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

To me that implies that you use TLS on port 993 - whereas port 993 is
> supposedly for IMAPS.  Indeed whenever I change the encryption method to
> STARTTLS, Evo automatically changes the port to 143 (port 143 is NOT
> open on that server).  I can obviously change the port back to 993, but
> my question is, does Evo honour that port number?  Whenever I go back to
> the config page, the port number has been reset to 143 if I specify
> STARTTLS.

        Hi,
yes, evolution honors the port, but it also tries to be smart, thus if
you change the authentication method (from SSL/STARTTLS/None) to any
other and the port itself is one of the well known, then Evolution
also switches the port to the well known for the new authentication
method. Using a completely different port will not change the port on
its own.

If I try to create a new mail account with an address [hidden email], and
let the settings look-up finish, then the revised options conform to
those on the knowledge base URL you gave, with one exception. The IMAP
authentication method looks garbled. When I returned back to that tab
the value shown there was nothing (an empty string), while it should
read PLAIN. I think it also tried to use LOGIN method (the one set for
SMTP), but this is not available for IMAP, thus a no value shown in
the UI. I changed the authentication type to some other than PLAIN for
IMAP, and then "back" to PLAIN. If I click "Check for supported types"
then the PLAIN is the only available anyway.

I do not have a real account there, but I would also try to change the
authentication type to the PLAIN, and to be sure to change it to
another value and then back to the PLAIN. Then close & start evolution.

If everything fails, then you can even try to debug this. Just disable
all the other IMAP accounts and run evolution from a terminal as:
   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution
and see what is written there. This debug mode writes the raw
communication between the server and the client. To get even more
chatty debugging information run evolution as:
   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Pete Biggs

> If everything fails, then you can even try to debug this. Just disable
> all the other IMAP accounts and run evolution from a terminal as:
>    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution
> and see what is written there. This debug mode writes the raw
> communication between the server and the client. To get even more
> chatty debugging information run evolution as:
>    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution

It looks like it never even gets to do any IMAP stuff:

$ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution >& evo.debug
$ more evo.debug
java version "1.7.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (fedora-2.5.2.5.fc20-i386 u65-b17)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

(evolution:11636): evolution-mail-WARNING **: (mail-send-recv.c:1145):receive_update_got_folderinfo: runtime check failed: (info != NULL)

(evolution:11636): evolution-mail-WARNING **: receive_update_got_folderinfo: Could not connect to 'imap.mail.me.com:993': Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
$

And that is it.  No IMAP output at all.

I'm not an SSL expert, but is there some manual way of instigating the
SSL connection with the server to see what algorithms are being offered?

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Yes I tried that. No change.

Thx,

-k

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 13:54 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> I'm not an SSL expert, but is there some manual way of instigating
> the SSL connection with the server to see what algorithms are being
> offered?

        Hi,
once upon a time, evolution-data-server used NSS/NSPR streams directly
and was able to influence what SSL/TLS algorithms are available.
The 3.12.x uses GLib (GIO) streams, which, I guess, are using
something from glib-networking, which is using gnutls, at least on
Fedora. Thus the place to look might be either glib-networking or
gnutls itself. I'm also not an expect in this area, hopefully someone
else is. Looking into evolution-data-server's code, this is the most
it does these days:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/camel/camel-network-service.c#n630

Milan Crha wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 13:54 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > >
> > I'm not an SSL expert, but is there some manual way of instigating
> > the SSL connection with the server to see what algorithms are being
> > offered?

Pete, you may inspect them looking at a packet capture (eg. wireshark),
which is what I asked Kevin if he could provide.

>         Hi,
> once upon a time, evolution-data-server used NSS/NSPR streams directly
> and was able to influence what SSL/TLS algorithms are available.
> The 3.12.x uses GLib (GIO) streams, which, I guess, are using
> something from glib-networking, which is using gnutls, at least on
> Fedora. Thus the place to look might be either glib-networking or
> gnutls itself. I'm also not an expect in this area, hopefully someone
> else is.

Try executing:
$ gnutls-cli imap.mail.me.com -p 993

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 20:31 +0200, Ángel González wrote:
> Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 13:54 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > >
> > > I'm not an SSL expert, but is there some manual way of instigating
> > > the SSL connection with the server to see what algorithms are being
> > > offered?
>
> Pete, you may inspect them looking at a packet capture (eg. wireshark),
> which is what I asked Kevin if he could provide.

I'll have a look at doing that tomorrow - too late now!

> Try executing:
> $ gnutls-cli imap.mail.me.com -p 993

That connected OK:

=======
$  gnutls-cli imap.mail.me.com -p 993
Processed 153 CA certificate(s).
Resolving 'imap.mail.me.com'...
Connecting to '17.172.34.111:993'...
- Certificate type: X.509
- Got a certificate list of 3 certificates.

[info on 3 certificates here]

- Session ID: xxxxxxxx
- Version: TLS1.2
- Key Exchange: RSA
- Cipher: AES-128-GCM
- MAC: AEAD
- Compression: NULL
- Handshake was completed

- Simple Client Mode:

* OK [CAPABILITY st11p00mm-iscream010 14G XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR AUTH=ATOKEN AUTH=PLAIN] iSCREAM ready to rumble (14G:4357) st11p00mm-iscream010 [46:4135:21:49:20:80]
========

So I suppose I need to see what Evo is doing to see why it can't
connect.

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Sorry Ángel, every attempt at capturing packets over wlan0 results in a hang and then crash of wireshark after a few seconds of attempted capture.

-k

On Oct 14, 2014, at 11:31 AM, Ángel González <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Milan Crha wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 13:54 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>>>>
>>> I'm not an SSL expert, but is there some manual way of instigating
>>> the SSL connection with the server to see what algorithms are being
>>> offered?
>
> Pete, you may inspect them looking at a packet capture (eg. wireshark),
> which is what I asked Kevin if he could provide.
>

>>        Hi,
>> once upon a time, evolution-data-server used NSS/NSPR streams directly
>> and was able to influence what SSL/TLS algorithms are available.
>> The 3.12.x uses GLib (GIO) streams, which, I guess, are using
>> something from glib-networking, which is using gnutls, at least on
>> Fedora. Thus the place to look might be either glib-networking or
>> gnutls itself. I'm also not an expect in this area, hopefully someone
>> else is.
>

> Try executing:
> $ gnutls-cli imap.mail.me.com -p 993

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Bryan Mason
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:20:06 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:

> I am experiencing a recent issue with Evolution and iCloud IMAP
> mail, in which I can no longer connect via the current settings
> auto-generated by Evolution when setting up my iCloud account.
>
> When I try to connect, I get the following error: "Could not connect
> to 'imap.mail.me.com:993': Cannot communicate securely with peer: no
> common encryption algorithm(s)."
>
> It is important to note that this is a recent problem, starting only
> last week. Prior to that, I was able to connect just fine using the
> same settings.

I just started having the same problem with FastMail, IMAP, and
Evolution.  FastMail disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE
vulnerability[1][2].  I know that the problem is due to the disabling
of SSLv3 because FastMail maintains an "insecure" host that still
supports SSLv3, and if I reconfigure Evolution to use that host,
things start working again.

Could Apple also have disabled SSLv3 on iCloud?

If this is the case, How do we tell Evolution to use something newer?

~ Bryan

[1]http://blog.fastmail.fm/2014/10/15/ssl-3-0-disabled-due-to-security-vulnerability/
[2]https://blog.cloudflare.com/sslv3-support-disabled-by-default-due-to-vulnerability/

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Matthew Barnes
On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 08:37 -0700, Bryan Mason wrote:
> I just started having the same problem with FastMail, IMAP, and
> Evolution.  FastMail disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE
> vulnerability[1][2].  I know that the problem is due to the disabling
> of SSLv3 because FastMail maintains an "insecure" host that still
> supports SSLv3, and if I reconfigure Evolution to use that host,
> things start working again.

Evolution 3.10 makes wrong NSS flag choices when using IMAP-over-SSL on
port 993 versus the STARTTLS capability on port 143.

Use the latter method (STARTTLS) if it's available, or else upgrade to
Evolution 3.12 which gets this stuff right.

Matthew Barnes

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 12:42 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:

> Evolution 3.10 makes wrong NSS flag choices when using IMAP-over-SSL
> on port 993 versus the STARTTLS capability on port 143.
>
> Use the latter method (STARTTLS) if it's available, or else upgrade to
> Evolution 3.12 which gets this stuff right.

Thanks for the information.  FastMail doesn't support STARTTLS. :( Yet
another reason to updgrade to Fedora 21 when it comes out (I'm on
Evolution 3.8.5 right now).

~ Bryan

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Upgraded to 3.13.5 and can now connect with iCloud.

Thx everyone for the assistance!

-k

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 12:42 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 08:37 -0700, Bryan Mason wrote:
> >  I just started having the same problem with FastMail, IMAP, and
> >  Evolution.  FastMail disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE
> >  vulnerability[1][2].  I know that the problem is due to the
> > disabling
> >  of SSLv3 because FastMail maintains an "insecure" host that still
> >  supports SSLv3, and if I reconfigure Evolution to use that host,
> >  things start working again.
>
> Evolution 3.10 makes wrong NSS flag choices when using IMAP-over-SSL
> on
> port 993 versus the STARTTLS capability on port 143.
>
> Use the latter method (STARTTLS) if it's available, or else upgrade
> Evolution 3.12 which gets this stuff right.
>
> Matthew Barnes

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 12:42 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 08:37 -0700, Bryan Mason wrote:
> > I just started having the same problem with FastMail, IMAP, and
> > Evolution.  FastMail disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE
> > vulnerability[1][2].  I know that the problem is due to the disabling
> > of SSLv3 because FastMail maintains an "insecure" host that still
> > supports SSLv3, and if I reconfigure Evolution to use that host,
> > things start working again.
>
> Evolution 3.10 makes wrong NSS flag choices when using IMAP-over-SSL on
> port 993 versus the STARTTLS capability on port 143.
>
> Use the latter method (STARTTLS) if it's available, or else upgrade to
> Evolution 3.12 which gets this stuff right.

OK.  I won't do any more investigation then.  Any chance of backporting
the fix to 3.10.x?

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 22:10 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:
> Upgraded to 3.13.5 and can now connect with iCloud.

A slight word of warning: Evo releases follow the numbering convention
of other Gnome projects - i.e. the odd numbered dot releases (e.g.
3.13.x) are the development versions and the even numbered ones (3.10.x,
3.12.x etc.) are the stable versions. It is generally not recommended to
use the odd releases in a production environment since they will
inevitably suffer from more bugs and instability.

Re: Evolution no longer connects with iCloud IMAP mail

Kevin Taggart
Yes, I received a warning when I installed it, but it has been very stable.

The odd thing is that I followed instructions to install 3.12, but got the latest dev build instead.

-k

On Oct 16, 2014, at 1:42 AM, Pete Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 22:10 -0700, Kevin Taggart wrote:
>> Upgraded to 3.13.5 and can now connect with iCloud.
>>

> A slight word of warning: Evo releases follow the numbering convention
> of other Gnome projects - i.e. the odd numbered dot releases (e.g.
> 3.13.x) are the development versions and the even numbered ones (3.10.x,
> 3.12.x etc.) are the stable versions. It is generally not recommended to
> use the odd releases in a production environment since they will
> inevitably suffer from more bugs and instability.
>
> P.

12