Evolution not finding PGP Key Automatically

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evolution not finding PGP Key Automatically

Chas Belfield
I recently spun up a new install of Antergos with the GNOME desktop,
thereby using Evolution as my primary email client. I imported my
OpenPGP key to Seahorse and such and noticed some odd behavior as
opposed to other instances I've done. The OpenPGP Key dropdown menu in
the Security section of Preferences is nonfunctional, where as normally
it would've allowed me to select my key, instead I must type it in
manually. Additionally, if Evolution is not actually open (ie, a
compose window opened from a weblink), the message refuses to send
because Evolution inisists my secret key doesn't exist. Does anyone
know what the issue is that's causing this change?

Thanks!
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution not finding PGP Key Automatically

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 20:04 -0400, Chas Belfield wrote:
> Does anyone know what the issue is that's causing this change?

        Hi,
both issues sound like the gpg version used by Seahorse is not the same
which evolution (data-server) is using, neither libcryptui, which is
responsible for populating the Security tab combo box.

Depending on your Evolution version, you may or may not be able to
choose between gpg and gpg2 by changing this key:
   $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-binary
to something like:
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-binary "/usr/bin/gpg2"
or to "/usr/bin/gpg". Such change requires restart of Evolution, as is
written also here:
   $ gsettings describe org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-binary

        Hope it helps,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Word Wrapping

Benjamin Selzer
I'm having a program with word wrapping:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZWBMU3CjhvxbA4fA8

I see the option to set the number of characters for word wrapping, but
I don't see where to turn it off. The  issue is that my emails look
good to the recipient on a computer, which is wide, but look terrible
on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
characters.

What I would like is for the lines to simply break when the recipients
email program deems it appropriate. That is the way logical text
wrapping seems to work in most email programs.

Setting it to a higher number won't work, because it will just create
the problem on the other end. And I can't really guess what width each
of my recipients phones are.

Thanks.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Joakim Tjernlund-2
Me too, word wrap messes up inline patches as well so an option to turn it off would be nice.

  Jocke

Den 12 apr 2017 17:40 skrev Benjamin Selzer <[hidden email]>:
I'm having a program with word wrapping:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZWBMU3CjhvxbA4fA8

I see the option to set the number of characters for word wrapping, but
I don't see where to turn it off. The  issue is that my emails look
good to the recipient on a computer, which is wide, but look terrible
on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
characters.

What I would like is for the lines to simply break when the recipients
email program deems it appropriate. That is the way logical text
wrapping seems to work in most email programs.

Setting it to a higher number won't work, because it will just create
the problem on the other end. And I can't really guess what width each
of my recipients phones are.

Thanks.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution not finding PGP Key Automatically

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Chas Belfield
On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 20:04 -0400, Chas Belfield wrote:

> I recently spun up a new install of Antergos with the GNOME desktop,
> thereby using Evolution as my primary email client. I imported my
> OpenPGP key to Seahorse and such and noticed some odd behavior as
> opposed to other instances I've done. The OpenPGP Key dropdown menu in
> the Security section of Preferences is nonfunctional, where as normally
> it would've allowed me to select my key, instead I must type it in
> manually. Additionally, if Evolution is not actually open (ie, a
> compose window opened from a weblink), the message refuses to send
> because Evolution inisists my secret key doesn't exist. Does anyone
> know what the issue is that's causing this change?

Please remember to state your version of Evolution when asking
questions (see Help->About). It can make a significant difference to
the answers.

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Benjamin Selzer

First, please don't hijack other threads - you've replied to a previous
email on the mailing list and just changed the subject and so the
threading information links your email to a completely different
subject.

>
>
> I see the option to set the number of characters for word wrapping, but
> I don't see where to turn it off.

Use "Preformated" style, that turns off any wrapping.

> The  issue is that my emails look
> good to the recipient on a computer, which is wide, but look terrible
> on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
> first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
> characters.
>
> What I would like is for the lines to simply break when the recipients
> email program deems it appropriate. That is the way logical text
> wrapping seems to work in most email programs.

It's surely a difference between Plain Text emails and HTML formatted
emails. Plain text has hard end-of-line markers at the end of every
line (otherwise it appears as one long line), HTML emails will be
formatted according to the recipients screen.

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Benjamin Selzer
Where is the setting for "Reformatted" style?
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Pete Biggs
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 07:35 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> Where is the setting for "Reformatted" style?

"Preformatted"

It's in the drop down menu that normally says "Normal" in the composer.

P.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

MayDay Computers
I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."  That will cause
your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your
message and you would be solely responsible for line breaks.  Plain
text mode has hard breaks at certain line lengths so will be optimized
for a minimum screen size as well.  If you want automatic line breaks
across mobile and desktop clients, you will have to use HTML mode,
though this will be an unpopular choice with many people.

________________________________
 Travis Walden
 [hidden email]


On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Pete Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 07:35 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
>> Where is the setting for "Reformatted" style?
>
> "Preformatted"
>
> It's in the drop down menu that normally says "Normal" in the composer.
>
> P.
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Benjamin Selzer
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 04:39 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> I'm having a program with word wrapping:

Please do not hijack threads. Note that changing the Subject line does
not magically "fix" this. The thread is still the same thread, just
more confusing because it's now about something else. Compose a new
message when you have a new topic.

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Ralf Mardorf-3
In reply to this post by MayDay Computers
Hi,

in my experiences this claim...

> On 12 Apr 2017, at 14:32, MayDay Computers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."  That will cause your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your message

...isn't correct.

This isn't an issue for most MUAs. Linux MUAs tend to break endless lines, at the end of the window and MUAs such as the iPAD mailer automatically wrap lines at the end of the screen. I'm writing on an iPAD now and you might notice that it doesn't wrap lines, since received endless lines gets wrapped, there is no need to vertically scroll.
Could you please mention any app for a portable device, that requires to scroll vertically through lines that aren't wrapped?

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 14:45 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in my experiences this claim...
>
> > On 12 Apr 2017, at 14:32, MayDay Computers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."  That will cause your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your message
>
> ...isn't correct.
>
> This isn't an issue for most MUAs. Linux MUAs tend to break endless lines, at the end of the window and MUAs such as the iPAD mailer automatically wrap lines at the end of the screen. I'm writing on an iPAD now and you might notice that it doesn't wrap lines, since received endless lines gets wrapped, there is no need to vertically scroll.
> Could you please mention any app for a portable device, that requires to scroll vertically through lines that aren't wrapped?

I confused "vertically" with "horizontally" :D.

Could you please mention any app for a portable device, that requires to
scroll horizontally through lines that aren't wrapped?

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Benjamin Selzer
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
It's fine, thanks

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 04:39 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> I'm having a program with word wrapping:

Please do not hijack threads. Note that changing the Subject line does
not magically "fix" this. The thread is still the same thread, just
more confusing because it's now about something else. Compose a new
message when you have a new topic.

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by MayDay Computers

Please don't top post.

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 08:32 -0400, MayDay Computers wrote:
> I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."

The OP asked how to turn off line breaks, I told them how to turn off
line breaks. 

>   That will cause
> your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your
> message and you would be solely responsible for line breaks.

That's not true. Look at the screen shot and what the OP was saying -
there are two apparent line breaks, this is his original:

"on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
characters."

So no, it isn't presented as one long line, and using preformattted
*will* do what he wants.  It'll be a pain to compose though, because
the Evolution composer won't split the lines!

What *does* appear as one long line is using "Preformatted" in an HTML
email - this creates text surrounded by <pre> </pre> and is not
interpreted or mangled by the recipient's browser at all.


>  Plain
> text mode has hard breaks at certain line lengths so will be optimized
> for a minimum screen size as well.

I don't understand that. Where does the optimization come in?

>  If you want automatic line breaks
> across mobile and desktop clients, you will have to use HTML mode,

Which is what I said I think.

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 13:55 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> It'll be a pain to compose though, because
> the Evolution composer won't split the lines!

The OP could use an external editor. Editors such as Gedit, Pluma etc.
wrap endless lines when composing at the end of the window, only for the
view. The plain text remains an endless line.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

MayDay Computers
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Pete Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please don't top post.

Oops!  Sorry about that!  Don't use the webclient often for this account.

>
> On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 08:32 -0400, MayDay Computers wrote:
>> I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."
>
> The OP asked how to turn off line breaks, I told them how to turn off
> line breaks.
>
>>   That will cause
>> your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your
>> message and you would be solely responsible for line breaks.
>
> That's not true. Look at the screen shot and what the OP was saying -
> there are two apparent line breaks, this is his original:
>
> "on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
> first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
> characters."
> So no, it isn't presented as one long line, and using preformattted
> *will* do what he wants.  It'll be a pain to compose though, because
> the Evolution composer won't split the lines!

I was suggesting the preformatted mode would create the long endless
lines, not that plain text mode would.  And, in my defense, my comment
was highly influenced by the Evolution composer view!  I also
(wrongly) assumed that preformatted would work the same way in both
plain text and HTML modes.

> What *does* appear as one long line is using "Preformatted" in an HTML
> email - this creates text surrounded by <pre> </pre> and is not
> interpreted or mangled by the recipient's browser at all.
>
>
>>  Plain
>> text mode has hard breaks at certain line lengths so will be optimized
>> for a minimum screen size as well.
>
> I don't understand that. Where does the optimization come in?

Not actual programmatic optimization, but optimization in the fact
that it will look OK on a 71 character window or larger.

>>  If you want automatic line breaks
>> across mobile and desktop clients, you will have to use HTML mode,
>
> Which is what I said I think.
>
> P.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Thanks for the better understanding of the preformatted mode.
________________________________
 Travis Walden
 [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Benjamin Selzer
I tried Preformatted, but as someone said here, it's impossible to use
since it appears as one long line in the composer. I imagine that it
would look correct to the recipient though.

Why can't the composer visibly break the line at the edge of the
window??
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 11:08 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> Why can't the composer visibly break the line at the edge of the
> window??

When pasting code into an email, it's more comfortable, if the line for
the composer view doesn't get wrapped. In this case horizontal scrolling
is better than a line break.

Keep in mind that many Linux and BSD desktop PC and laptop users have
different demands on their MUAs, than other computer users.

If you want to get wrapped lines for the composer's/editor's view, but
an endless line for the mail body, than use an external editor, instead
of Evolution's composer.

Take a look at the options of

  Edit ▸ Plugins ▸ External Editor

and set it to use Gedit, Pluma, Xed or another editor.

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Word Wrapping

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Benjamin Selzer
On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 11:08 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> I tried Preformatted, but as someone said here, it's impossible to use
> since it appears as one long line in the composer. I imagine that it
> would look correct to the recipient though.

I suppose you could compose it in "Normal" and then change it to
"Preformatted" before sending. The line breaks are still soft until the
mail is sent, at which point they are converted to hard breaks - if
that weren't the case, then editing text wouldn't work very well!

>
> Why can't the composer visibly break the line at the edge of the
> window??

I suppose it's because preformatted is meant to be used to create text
"as is" and in that case you don't want to break the lines. I only
suggested it as a way of getting unwrapped text.

The issue really is that plain text ASCII has no concept of a "soft
break", there is only hard breaks represented by the end-of-line
character(s). Conversely, HTML text breaks are all soft, only markups
can force a hard line break (outside of a <pre /> section).

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution not finding PGP Key Automatically

Chas Belfield
In reply to this post by Milan Crha
That would makes sense given the nature of Arch in general. And my bad,
version 3.22.6 of Evolution and version 3.20 of Seahorse.
What file would i need to edit those settings in? simply pasting in the
terminal does not have any effect
Thanks!

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 08:11 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 20:04 -0400, Chas Belfield wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the issue is that's causing this change?
>
> Hi,
> both issues sound like the gpg version used by Seahorse is not the
> same
> which evolution (data-server) is using, neither libcryptui, which is
> responsible for populating the Security tab combo box.
>
> Depending on your Evolution version, you may or may not be able to
> choose between gpg and gpg2 by changing this key:
>    $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-binary
> to something like:
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-binary
> "/usr/bin/gpg2"
> or to "/usr/bin/gpg". Such change requires restart of Evolution, as
> is
> written also here:
>    $ gsettings describe org.gnome.evolution-data-server camel-gpg-
> binary
>
> Hope it helps,
> Milan
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
12