Evolution not listening to quit

12

Evolution not listening to quit

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Upgraded my version of Mint, which has...
Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Prior to upgrading Linux Mint, my evolution backup script contained the
following...

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0.0
rm /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/5.tar.gz
mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/4.tar.gz
/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/5.tar.gz
mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/3.tar.gz
/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/4.tar.gz
mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/2.tar.gz
/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/3.tar.gz
mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz
/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/2.tar.gz
sleep 5
cd ~
/usr/lib/evolution/evolution-backup --restart --backup
/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz

It is set to run three times a week and needed the export command to
get the shutdown to occur.

However, on those occasions I am now waking up after the overnight
backup, to find two copies of Evolution running. With or without the
display export.

The results form the script are as follows...

michelle@main-desktop:~$ ./evo-backup.sh
evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.487: evolution --quit
evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.886: rm
/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/.running
rm: cannot remove '/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/.running': No
such file or directory
evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.888: dconf dump
/org/gnome/evolution-data-server/
>/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-restore-dconf-eds.ini
evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.892: dconf dump
/org/gnome/evolution/ >/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-
restore-dconf-evo.ini
evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.908: cd /home/michelle && tar chf -
.local/share/evolution .config/evolution evolution.dir | gzip >
'/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz'
tar: .local/share/evolution: file changed as we read it
evolution-backup-Message: 09:08:07.003: rm /home/michelle/evolution.dir

So evolution-backup is reporting the "quit" to evolution, but it
doesn't appear to be listening. Also, there never appears to be a
.running file in .local so I'm not sure what's happening.

I've tried dropping to a command prompt and just issuing...
evolution --quit

... but it doesn't respond and stays running.

Any advice please?

Michelle.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 09:14 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
> Any advice please?

I doubt that anyone can give useful feedback without seeing the entire
backup script. Quoting parts of it is not useful.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 09:14 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:

> Upgraded my version of Mint, which has...
> Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
>
> Prior to upgrading Linux Mint, my evolution backup script contained
> the
> following...
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
> rm /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/5.tar.gz
> mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/4.tar.gz
> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/5.tar.gz
> mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/3.tar.gz
> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/4.tar.gz
> mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/2.tar.gz
> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/3.tar.gz
> mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz
> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/2.tar.gz
> sleep 5
> cd ~
> /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-backup --restart --backup
> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz
>
> It is set to run three times a week and needed the export command to
> get the shutdown to occur.
>
> However, on those occasions I am now waking up after the overnight
> backup, to find two copies of Evolution running. With or without the
> display export.
>
> The results form the script are as follows...
>
> michelle@main-desktop:~$ ./evo-backup.sh
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.487: evolution --quit
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.886: rm
> /home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/.running
> rm: cannot remove '/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/.running':
> No
> such file or directory
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.888: dconf dump
> /org/gnome/evolution-data-server/
> > /home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-restore-dconf-eds.ini
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.892: dconf dump
> /org/gnome/evolution/ >/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-
> restore-dconf-evo.ini
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.908: cd /home/michelle && tar chf
> -
> .local/share/evolution .config/evolution evolution.dir | gzip >
> '/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz'
> tar: .local/share/evolution: file changed as we read it
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:08:07.003: rm
> /home/michelle/evolution.dir
>
> So evolution-backup is reporting the "quit" to evolution, but it
> doesn't appear to be listening. Also, there never appears to be a
> .running file in .local so I'm not sure what's happening.
>
> I've tried dropping to a command prompt and just issuing...
> evolution --quit
>
> ... but it doesn't respond and stays running.
>
> Any advice please?

Might turn out not to be related here, but in the recent past, random
distributions have disabled behavior to quit applications by shipping
custom patches to their users. One example I'm aware of in Ubuntu is
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/tree/debian/patches/05_hide_on_quit.patch

So if turns out that Ubuntu or Mint break your scripts, you may want to
ask in an Ubuntu or Mint forum.

"evolution --quit" works without problems here with 3.32.2 on Fedora.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

> I've tried dropping to a command prompt and just issuing...
> evolution --quit

You shouldn't expect that such a friendly termination, even not if you
would kill via SIGTERM, does stopp the app running immediately, such
commands are intended to allow the app to terminate properly.

If you "please" an app to stopp running, you need your script checking
by a loop, until the process is gone away.

On the quick I couldn't find something better, so here is a not that
good example, from a very old, nowadays unused script, but at least it
explains the principle:

pppoe_off() {
  echo; poff -a; ip link set enp3s0 down; printf "Progress: "
  while pidof pppd > /dev/null; do printf "."; sleep 3; done;
  echo; modprobe -vr pppoe; echo
}

A dirty hack for your purpose might be a

  killall --wait foo &&

SIGTERM 15, not 9 SIGKILL + "wait for processes to die".

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Michael Hirmke
Hi Michelle,

>Upgraded my version of Mint, which has...
>Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

>Prior to upgrading Linux Mint, my evolution backup script contained the
>following...

[...]

>So evolution-backup is reporting the "quit" to evolution, but it
>doesn't appear to be listening. Also, there never appears to be a
>.running file in .local so I'm not sure what's happening.

>I've tried dropping to a command prompt and just issuing...
>evolution --quit

>... but it doesn't respond and stays running.

>Any advice please?

in rare cases I need to completely quit evolution, I use this function:

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------
_me=$( basename $0 )
EVOL="evolution"

killevolution() {
  $EVOL --force-shutdown
  sleep 1
  _pid=""
  _pid=$( \
  /usr/bin/ps -wwfe \
    | grep -i "${EVOL}" \
    | grep -v "grep" \
    | grep -v "${_me}" \
    | grep "^${USER}" \
    | awk '{ print $2 }' \
  )
  if [ -n "$_pid" ]
  then
    for _p in $_pid
    do
      kill $_p
    done
  fi
}

killevolution
------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

pkill/pgrep would be an option, too.

>Michelle.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

>   killall --wait foo &&

Don't get me wrong, I do _not_ recommend to use a killall SIGTERM over
an app's option for a "soft" shut down of the app.

As a user we might not know what processes to SIGTERM and in which
order, while the developers of an app do know this. IOW a SIGTERM isn't
as evil as a SIGKILL, but do we know, in what order we need to SIGTERM
evolution related processes?

On 02 Jun 2019 12:55:00 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:

>_me=$( basename $0 )
>EVOL="evolution"
>
>killevolution() {
>  $EVOL --force-shutdown
>  sleep 1
>  _pid=""
>  _pid=$( \
>  /usr/bin/ps -wwfe \
>    | grep -i "${EVOL}" \
>    | grep -v "grep" \
>    | grep -v "${_me}" \
>    | grep "^${USER}" \
>    | awk '{ print $2 }' \
>  )
>  if [ -n "$_pid" ]
>  then
>    for _p in $_pid
>    do
>      kill $_p
>    done
>  fi
>}

Ok, a signal 15 might imply that it doesn't matter in what order to kill
evolution related processes, OTOH 'if...then' without verifying that the
processes are gone away, before continuing, gains nothing at all. Even
if you would send a signal 9, you should test, if the process is
already killed, before continuing. Even much unlikely race conditions do
happen very often.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thank you all.

Initially, I was using the --restart option when calling evolution-
backup so I would have assumed that it would have its own internal
timing on this. I'll try issuing the evolution --quit command from a
terminal window and give evolution some time, and see what it does, as
per Ralf's suggestion.

Andre's explanation of some distributions disabling behaviour seems the
most likely, especially as the people behind the Mint distribution seem
to be cautious about the versions they bundle.

If all else fails, I'll use Michael's code.

Many thanks for the help.

Michelle.

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 13:26 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:

> [...]

> > /home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-restore-dconf-eds.ini
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.892: dconf dump
> /org/gnome/evolution/ >/home/michelle/.local/share/evolution/backup-
> restore-dconf-evo.ini
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:05:55.908: cd /home/michelle && tar chf -
> .local/share/evolution .config/evolution evolution.dir | gzip >
> '/mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/1.tar.gz'
> tar: .local/share/evolution: file changed as we read it
> evolution-backup-Message: 09:08:07.003: rm
/home/michelle/evolution.dir

> So evolution-backup is reporting the "quit" to evolution, but it
> doesn't appear to be listening. Also, there never appears to be a
> .running file in .local so I'm not sure what's happening.
>
> I've tried dropping to a command prompt and just issuing...
> evolution --quit
>
> ... but it doesn't respond and stays running.

Hi,

my advice is to think over your strategy of doing a backup.

You are executing one command after the other, without even checking the
exit status of a command, before you execute the next command. You try
to remove '.local/share/evolution/.running', a file that doesn't exist.
However, if such a file would exist, you probably would work against the
purpose of the file, by just removing it, let alone that if the file
would exist and if it would make sense to remove the file, you still
don't test, if the file was removed successfully. After executing a
command, you at least should redirect the output of "echo $?" to a log
file or better let the script do something smart. However, without a
smart script and without a log file, at least use '&&' between commands,
so if the exit status shouldn't be 0, the next command wouldn't be
executed.

Even '#!/bin/sh' already could cause issues, since it not necessarily is
a link against the shell you expect.

I wonder what kind of setup requires to export DISPLAY?

Do you run a bunch of similar scripts, that don't know about the other
scripts?

Btw. if you post code, consider to use Evolution's plain text editor option "Preformatted" to avoid line wrapping ;) or add the code as an attachment or at least add a '\' before a line is wrapped.

I run a lot of unimportant scripts with a 'sleep n' for liely the reason
you add it to your script, but I never ever would use this for an
important backup script. Btw. what do you gain from 'sleep' here? I
guess a command followed by 'mv' won't run, before 'mv' finished, unless
you are using '&'. It still would be better to use '&&' to ensure that
'mv' not only finished, but finished successfully.

Just my 2 Cents,
Ralf

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
PS

>evolution-backup-Message

Ok, removing '.running' might be something done by 'evolution-backup',
not by your script. My bad.

So to avoid confusion, the following applies:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 11:08:37 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 09:14 +0100, Michelle via evolution-list wrote:
>> Any advice please?
>
>I doubt that anyone can give useful feedback without seeing the entire
>backup script. Quoting parts of it is not useful.

:)

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

>> mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/4.tar.gz
>> /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/5.tar.gz

PPS:

Without doing a strace or using google, IIRC a 'mv' done within a
partitions, is an atomic operation. This doesn't mean that a '&&' alike
approach is _not_  better than just a ';' (';' is for running one
command after the other, without fulfilling the condition
'true'/'success') or a 'sleep' that seemingly gains nothing over a ';'
in this case.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Ángel González
Yes, a rename in the same partition should be atomic.

Rather than adding a check after every command, I would recommend simply
adding a call to set -e

and rather than those repeated lines, it can be done with a simple loop:
for i in {5..2}; do
 rm -f /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/$i.tar.gz
 mv /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/$(($i - 1)).tar.gz /mnt/tank/users/michelle/backup/mail/$i.tar.gz
done

(please note that $(( )) is not a feature in POSIX sh, so you would need to change the shebancg from /bin/sh to /bin/bash)

although I would generally favor using a date-based filename, rather than numeric ones, and let the user occasionally remove the old ones if needed.

Kind regards

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 00:21 +0200, Ángel wrote:
> Rather than adding a check after every command, I would recommend simply
> adding a call to set -e

#!/bin/bash -e

or what ever else, I only wanted to point out that a backup script
should be safe and somehow be able to either resolve issues or to stop,
instead of continuing with some kind of partial/broken backup.

> and rather than those repeated lines, it can be done with a simple loop

From my point of view it doesn't matter if the OP does use a loop or
not, since it's unimportant regarding safeness. Depending on the
experience or inexperience in writing scripts, avoiding a loop even
could be the better approach.

> although I would generally favor using a date-based filename, rather
> than numeric ones, and let the user occasionally remove the old ones
> if needed.

I share this backup strategy :). I'm in favour of adding something like
'$(date "+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S")' and instead of an automated backup remove
rotation approach, I prefer to manually keep or remove backups, too.

> please note that $(( )) is not a feature in POSIX sh, so you would
> need to change the shebancg from /bin/sh to /bin/bash

As pointed out by one of my previous reply, I strongly recommend to
explicitly mention the used shell. Btw. there are discussions about pros
and cons regarding #!/usr/bin/env bash. However, #!/bin/bash or
#!/bin/dash or what ever shell else, should be ok for almost all Linux
distros. Just using #!/bin/sh is a bad idea, since this nowadays usually
is a link against bash, but since dash is faster, some distros, that
might use an uncommon init system based upon startup scrips, might link
against dash, even if the login shell should default to bash.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Semi-off-topic:

Bashisms are devil's work. If possible, I try to write "portable"
scripts avoiding anything way-too-non-POSIX, but since I usually don't
waste my time with broken file manager GUIs and instead use command
line, I'm in favour of bashisms for this purpose. Some folks prefer C
alike shells over bashisms. I don't make intense use of GNU Readline.
GNU Readline is nice, but I'm unable to remember how to access all the
features.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 20:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> Ok, removing '.running' might be something done by 'evolution-
> backup', not by your script. My bad.

right, everything prefixed with "evolution-backup-Message" in the
original post is printed by the evolution-backup tool. Looking at it,
that means each pasted line in the original message from the
./evo-backup.sh invocation is printed by the evolution-backup tool.

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 13:09 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> As a user we might not know what processes to SIGTERM and in which
> order, while the developers of an app do know this. IOW a SIGTERM
> isn't as evil as a SIGKILL, but do we know, in what order we need to
> SIGTERM evolution related processes?

a) the evolution-backup calls that "evolution -quit" command,
   not Michelle's script;
b) I'm not sure why you question SIGTERM and SIGKILL here, especially
   when the user cannot do anything about it;
c) it's not only about the correct order (which
   evolution --force-shutdown, aka killev, follows), but also about
   the desktop environment, because killing evolution(-data-server)
   processes can be tricky in some of them (I know of GNOME Shell,
   whose gnome-shell-calendar-server restarts
   evolution-calendar-factory process whenever it disappears, thus it's
   close to impossible to stop the calendar factory there).

I don't want to add more off-topic discussion here, I only wanted to
clarify certain things.

Michelle, by the way, the "--restart" argument of the evolution-backup
means to start evolution after the backup is done. I'm not sure whether
you do that on purpose. Also, the missing .running file indicates that
evolution is not running, thus, maybe, the other running instance is a
stale process, or it's running for a different user. I'm just guessing
here. I would try to `kill -9` it and then retest the
`evolution --quit`.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 20:34 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> my advice is to think over your strategy of doing a backup.

Personally, I don't back up Evolution explicitly. I do back up my home
directory every night (using rsnapshot) but this almost always happens
while my session is logged in. I have been doing this for years and
have never lost an email. I probably also helps that my accounts are
IMAP-based, so what's in the local Evolution store is mostly cached
information.

So it's not clear to me that stopping Evo during a backup is actually
necessary. I've sometimes had to reset my machine without a clean
shutdown, and again have never lost an email due to this.

It would be interesting to hear Milan's thoughts on this topic. Just
how much of Evo's processing is essentially transactional?

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 09:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> the missing .running file indicates that evolution is not running

$ evolution -v; ls .local/share/evolution/.running || ps aux | grep evolution
evolution 3.32.0
ls: cannot access '.local/share/evolution/.running': No such file or directory
rocketm+  1051  0.3  8.5 86731712 689260 ?     SLl  May31  14:24 evolution
rocketm+  1056  0.0  0.1 1117572 14428 ?       Ssl  May31   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-source-registry
rocketm+  1074  0.0  0.5 694396 43064 ?        Sl   May31   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-alarm-notify
rocketm+  1081  0.0  0.2 957744 17992 ?        Ssl  May31   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-calendar-factory
rocketm+  1090  0.0  0.2 708584 19156 ?        Ssl  May31   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-addressbook-factory

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 13:08 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 09:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > the missing .running file indicates that evolution is not running
>
> $ evolution -v; ls .local/share/evolution/.running || ps aux | grep evolution

When running 'ls .local/share/evolution/.running' I was in $HOME.
Anyway, this is the complete output of 'ls -lA' while Evolution _is_
running:

$ ls -lA .local/share/evolution/
total 56
drwx------  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Apr 20  2014 addressbook
-rw-r--r--  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse  107 Dec  6  2013 backup-restore-dconf-eds.ini
-rw-r--r--  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 5541 Dec  6  2013 backup-restore-dconf-evo.ini
drwx------  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Apr 22  2013 calendar
-rw-------  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse  918 Dec 12  2015 camel-cert.db
-rw-r--r--  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 3732 Dec 12  2011 categories.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse    0 May 26 20:35 datetime-formats.ini
-rw-------  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 9540 Jun  3 13:11 .evolution-composer.autosave-9QAZ2Z
drwxr-xr-x 12 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Feb 19 14:54 mail
drwx------  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Apr 22  2013 memos
-rw-r--r--  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse    0 Apr 21  2015 printing.ini
drwx------  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Jul 26  2012 signatures
drwx------  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4096 Apr 22  2013 tasks

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:06 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Personally, I don't back up Evolution explicitly. I do back up my home
> directory every night (using rsnapshot) but this almost always happens
> while my session is logged in. I have been doing this for years and
> have never lost an email. I probably also helps that my accounts are
> IMAP-based, so what's in the local Evolution store is mostly cached
> information.
>
> So it's not clear to me that stopping Evo during a backup is actually
> necessary.

Even if you would use POP accounts and Evolution would automatically
download messages during the backup, it shouldn't matter.

I'm using POP accounts, but I make backups of whole Linux installs, not
just of Evolution or of a /home folder. I restart the computer and boot
into another Linux, to backup installs that aren't running, either via
'cp -ai' or usually by 'tar --xattrs -czf' and FWIW I 'dd' MBRs. FreeBSD
allows to backup a running install by the 'dump' command. Actually I
restored broken Linux installs from backups heaps of times, _always_
being successfully. I can't comment on FreeBSD, since I dropped it.

Re: Evolution not listening to quit

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 13:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:06 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Personally, I don't back up Evolution explicitly. I do back up my home
> > directory every night (using rsnapshot) but this almost always happens
> > while my session is logged in. I have been doing this for years and
> > have never lost an email. I probably also helps that my accounts are
> > IMAP-based, so what's in the local Evolution store is mostly cached
> > information.
> >
> > So it's not clear to me that stopping Evo during a backup is actually
> > necessary.
>
> Even if you would use POP accounts and Evolution would automatically
> download messages during the backup, it shouldn't matter.

Yes, I would expect that. My question is whether all of Evo's database
operations are transactional, though I'm supposing they are.

In which case I think the argument about how to make sure Evo is
stopped before doing a backup is pointless. Just don't stop it.

12