Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Paul Kernstock
Hi.

I'm having an issue with Evolution deleting my mail without me telling
it to do so:

I'm using Evolution 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 20.04 with an Exchange
IMAP server. When I check a new series of mail, read and delete
messages, Evolution intermittently marks new or read mails for deletion
and moves them to the deleted mails box. When I drag them back to the
inbox, they reappear there duplicated. I can then delete the duplicate
and the message remains in the inbox.

I have "Check incoming messages for junk" disabled.

I couldn't find a fix for this behaviour by obvious means of
configuration.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you all!
Paul

Re: Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-09-22 at 10:28 +0200, Paul Kernstock wrote:
> I'm using Evolution 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 20.04 with an Exchange
> IMAP server.

        Hi,
I do not recall seeing any such issue in 3.36.x. I do not say it cannot
happen, you can be the first seeing it, but I'dexpect this being
discovered early after the release. I'd suspect something with the
server (similar to Google, the Exchange IMAP servers have their quirks
as well).

I would try to disable real Trash (and eventually also the Junk) folder
in the mail account Properties->Defaults tab. That way the messages
will stay in the folder, they will be only marked for deletion (you can
View->Show Deleted/Junk Messages).

When you right-click the headers above the message list you can pick
Add Column and there drag the UID column, which is a number (in case of
IMAP), which references the message uniquely in the folder on the
server. When you run Evolution from a terminal as:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution

then you can see a raw communication between the server and Evolution.
I do not ask for that log, it contains a lot of private information
(really everything being sent/received to/from the server). You can
search the log for the UID and see what it does with it. There might be
a 'COPY' (or 'MOVE') operation after you mark a message deleted (if you
keep using the real Trash folder), mentioning the UID you deleted. If
you change more messages, then the UID can be "hidden" in a UID range.
I understand you cannot reproduce this reliably, the harder to catch
the UID (it can change when the message is moved between folders,
because different folders can use their own numbering), but I hope this
can help a bit. When you'll have disabled real Trash folder, the
command will not be COPY/MOVE, but something like "UID STORE
+FLAGS.SILENT (\\DELETED)" (quotes for clarity only), which can give a
clue which messages had been asked for the deletion and what the server
returned (check those UIDs after the operation, they may also contain
the \\DELETED flag).

Do you know the Exchange server version, please?

Also, instead of copying the message from the Trash to the original
folder, could you try to right-click the folder and pick Refresh,
whether the message will re-appear? You mentioned the message is shown
twice there, which can be that Evolution received a VANISHED or
EXPUNGED notification and dropped the message only locally, which would
mean that the log will not contain anything suspicious with the UID. It
can also mean that it'll be reproducible only with multiple messages
being deleted at the same time.

Re: Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Paul Kernstock
Hi Milan,

thanks for your detailed answer and the insights. I missed subscribing
the mailing list and thus found your answer just yesterday in the
arvhives.

So obviously when I leave the real trash folder activated (that's what
I'd prefer), you guessed right, some of my mails are copied to this
folder without me issuing this action. This happened to one of my
mails:

   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00375 UID COPY 10523 "Deleted Items"'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00375 OK [COPYUID 957421 10523 8902] COPY
   completed.'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00377 UID STORE 8902 -FLAGS.SILENT (\DELETED)'

I can find the copied mail in the Deleted Items folder but, as you
presumed, it is still there in my inbox (after refresh).

Is there a way to find out what is issuing this copy action (Currently
I'm filtering the debug output of Evolution with grep -E --line-
buffered 'EXPUNGED|COPY|MOVE|DELETED')?

Thanks a lot,
Paul

On Wed, 2020-10-28 at 13:59 +0100, Paul Kernstock wrote:
> Is there a way to find out what is issuing this copy action
> (Currently I'm filtering the debug output of Evolution with grep -E -
> -line-buffered 'EXPUNGED|COPY|MOVE|DELETED')?

        Hi,
you issue that action, by marking a message as to-be-deleted. After
that there's scheduled a write of the folder changes (this can be
turned off, or the timeout change, when editing corresponding .source
file in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ by changing the key
StoreChangesInterval=3 to some other value; use -1 to turn it off, 0 to
write immediately) which does the necessary things.

From your log, there should follow an EXPUNGE (or something like that)
in the source folder, to get rid of the 10523. Check your log for the
operations on that UID. It can be that the server failed to do the
expunge and the next refresh of the folder updated the message flags
and mark the message as not being deleted (why, might be a question for
the server).

I guess your server is a Microsoft Exchange. I'd try to turn off the
real Trash folder, then restart Evolution and then try to delete one
message. Maybe the Exchange server moves the messages marked for
deletion to the Deleted Items on its own.

Re: Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Paul Kernstock
Hi Milan,

> you issue that action, by marking a message as to-be-deleted.

No actually I don't. This happens to mails that were not marked for
deletion by me. It happens while I read my inbox and maybe delete some
mails and then OTHER mails just disappear for some reason (accompanied
with the log messages I provided earlier).

> From your log, there should follow an EXPUNGE (or something like that)

Unfortunately I see that I filtered for "EXPUNGED", not "EXPUNGE", I
will see if I get something like this in the logs, when it happens.

Still the question arises what triggers the deletion of my mail, that I
intended to keep.

> I guess your server is a Microsoft Exchange. I'd try to turn off the
real Trash folder

Yes it is, unfortunately as an employee of a university and I'm not part
of the IT service I don't have access to the server. Turning off the
real Trash is not what I intend to do on the long run. I like my real
trash. :) Maybe I'll have to mention, that I'm cooming from Thunderbird
and use this configuration with the real trash folder there (out of the
box) and it's working pretty fine when it comes to not losing my email
unexpectedly.

Thank you for your help!
Paul

Am 29.10.20 um 08:55 schrieb Milan Crha via evolution-list:

> On Wed, 2020-10-28 at 13:59 +0100, Paul Kernstock wrote:
>> Is there a way to find out what is issuing this copy action
>> (Currently I'm filtering the debug output of Evolution with grep -E -
>> -line-buffered 'EXPUNGED|COPY|MOVE|DELETED')?
>
> Hi,
> you issue that action, by marking a message as to-be-deleted. After
> that there's scheduled a write of the folder changes (this can be
> turned off, or the timeout change, when editing corresponding .source
> file in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ by changing the key
> StoreChangesInterval=3 to some other value; use -1 to turn it off, 0 to
> write immediately) which does the necessary things.
>
> From your log, there should follow an EXPUNGE (or something like that)
> in the source folder, to get rid of the 10523. Check your log for the
> operations on that UID. It can be that the server failed to do the
> expunge and the next refresh of the folder updated the message flags
> and mark the message as not being deleted (why, might be a question for
> the server).
>
> I guess your server is a Microsoft Exchange. I'd try to turn off the
> real Trash folder, then restart Evolution and then try to delete one
> message. Maybe the Exchange server moves the messages marked for
> deletion to the Deleted Items on its own.

Paul Kernstock, M.Sc.
Projekt Smart Heat Grid Hamburg

Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg
Competence Center für Erneuerbare Energien und Energie-Effizienz (CC4E)
Am Schleusengraben 24
21029 Hamburg
Raum 28
Mail: [hidden email]
Telefon: 040 428 75 5807
Internet: www.haw-hamburg.de/cc4e
Datenschutzhinweis:
Informationen, wie wir personenbezogene Daten verarbeiten und welche
Rechte Sie haben, erhalten Sie unter: www.haw-hamburg.de/datenverarbeitung.

On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 12:07 +0100, Paul Kernstock wrote:
> No actually I don't. This happens to mails that were not marked for
> deletion by me. It happens while I read my inbox and maybe delete
> some mails and then OTHER mails just disappear for some reason
> (accompanied with the log messages I provided earlier).

        Hi,
I see, I misunderstood the problem. I'm sorry about that. I do not
recall seeing this for a long time, definitely not under yours 3.36.4.

> Turning off the real Trash is not what I intend to do on the long
> run. I like my real trash. :)

I meant that as kind of a test, to try whether the server moves the
messages to the real trash on its own. As I misunderstood the initial
query, it can be a total nonsense too.

The logs may help to narrow what the IMAPx code called and what was the
outcome. It cannot show what marked the other messages for deletion, if
they were really marked as such (in case there would be a bug in
calculating ranges for the save of the changes, marking different
messages for deletion in error).

What are your Receiving Options, please? In case you've enabled Quick
Resync, and the server supports it, it can be that it causes certain
quirks sometimes - also not always. It's off by default.

Re: Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Paul Kernstock
OK some findings here:

This is the log of a deletion action I actually issued and I noticed
that these mails were doubled in the real trash folder (not my initial
issue but maybe part of the whole problem):

   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00197 UID COPY 10604:10607,10612,10618 "Deleted
   Items"'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00197 OK [COPYUID 957421 10604:10607,10612,10618
   8980:8985] COPY completed.'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00200 UID COPY 10604:10607,10612,10618 "Deleted
   Items"'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00200 OK [COPYUID 957421 10604:10607,10612,10618
   8986:8991] COPY completed.'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00204 UID STORE 8980:8991 -FLAGS.SILENT (\DELETED)'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00211 UID STORE 10604:10607,10612,10618
   +FLAGS.SILENT (\DELETED)'
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00216 EXPUNGE'
   [imapx:B] I/O: '* 1061 EXPUNGE
   * 1059 EXPUNGE
   * 1058 EXPUNGE
   * 1057 EXPUNGE
   * 1056 EXPUNGE
   * 1055 EXPUNGE
   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00216 OK EXPUNGE completed.'

I did the deletion of these mails one by one, always awaiting evolution
to mark the mails as read before deleting them. Obviously they were
copied to the deleted folder twice and not moved there once, as I would
expect it. Is the EXPUNGE action the one which removes the mails from
my INBOX?

I will be looking for the original issue to return, and post the logs
here. As I wrote I'm using

   CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution | grep -E --line-buffered
   'EXPUNGE|COPY|MOVE|DELETE'

to filter the otherwise quite verbose log to see what is happening. Any
additional information which I could possibly filter is very welcome.

Thank you!

Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 12:36 +0100 schrieb Milan Crha via
evolution-list:

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 20:29 +0100, Paul Kernstock wrote:
> Is the EXPUNGE action the one which removes the mails from
> my INBOX?

        Hi,
yes, it is.

> Any additional information which I could possibly filter is very
> welcome.

Better to not filter at all, otherwise you can miss an important
command. Like the snapshot showed commands B00197 and B00200 - the
three commands in between could be related as well.

Do you know the Exchange server version, please? Are you able to give a
try to more recent Evolution, like 3.38.1 (can be only for testing,
thus for example in Flatpak from the flathub.org), to check whether
it'll be reproducible in that version too, to avoid searching for
something what had been fixed meanwhile.

Evolution should not call the COPY twice with the same set for sure. I
see it called only once here, after deleting two messages in a real
folder. I'm using the development version (to be 3.39.1), which is
basically the same in this regard as the 3.38.1.

By the way, Reply To List (Ctrl+L) works better for me on this list.

Re: Evolution randomly deletes my Email

Paul Kernstock
Hi Milan,

this issue is really not that easy to track down, mostly as it appears
unregularly. I could figure out that it is an issue with the Exchange
server my company provides as I added other accounts to Evolution and
with them, everything is working just fine.

Additionally this is an issue with BOTH Evolution AND the server,
because I don't have this kind of problem when using Thunderbird
(although I DO have issues with deleted messages sometimes not marked
as read, when I use Thunderbird).

Recently, I was able to record an event, when while reading my mail,
another new unread mail just disappeared and appeared as unread message
in the real trash folder.

I redirected the debug output as proposed with CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io
evolution >& evolution.log

Here's the log concerning the UID (9786) of the mail I found in my
Trash folder before I was able to read it (I dragged it back to the
INBOX afterwards):

[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00186 OK [COPYUID 957421 11309,11322 9785:9786] COPY
completed.'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00188 UID STORE 9785:9786 -FLAGS.SILENT (\DELETED)'
[imapx:A] I/O: '* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS (\Recent))'
* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS (\Recent))
[imapx:A] I/O: '* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS ())'
* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: '* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS ())'
* 2908 FETCH (UID 9786 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00220 UID STORE 9786 +FLAGS.SILENT (\SEEN)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00224 UID COPY 9786 INBOX'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00224 OK [COPYUID 957418 9786 11329] COPY completed.'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00232 UID STORE 9786 +FLAGS.SILENT (\DELETED)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00231 UID EXPUNGE 9786'

After dragging it back I found the expected mail duplicated in my INBOX
(UIDs 11322 and 11329), as described before. Here's the logs concerning
these UIDs.

UID 11322 (the original):

[imapx:A] I/O: '* STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES 1166 UNSEEN 6 UIDVALIDITY
957418 UIDNEXT 11322)
* OK [UIDNEXT 11322] The next unique identifier value
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00077 UID FETCH 11322:* (UID FLAGS)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00078 UID FETCH 1:11322 (UID FLAGS)'
[imapx:B] I/O: '* STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES 1166 UNSEEN 6 UIDVALIDITY
957418 UIDNEXT 11322)
* OK [UIDNEXT 11322] The next unique identifier value
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00089 UID FETCH 11322:* (UID FLAGS)'
[imapx:A] I/O: '* 1167 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00090 UID FETCH 11322 (RFC822.SIZE RFC822.HEADER
BODYSTRUCTURE FLAGS)'
 BODYSTRUCTURE (("text" "html" ("charset" "utf-8") NIL NIL "base64"
6812 88 NIL NIL NIL NIL)("text" "calendar" ("charset" "utf-8" "method"
"REQUEST") NIL NIL "base64" 3950 51 NIL NIL NIL NIL) "alternative"
("boundary" "<REMOVED. POSSIBLE SENSITIVE DATA.>") NIL "de-DE") FLAGS
() UID 11322)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00091 UID FETCH 1:11322 (UID FLAGS)'
* 1167 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00092 UID FETCH 11322 (BODY.PEEK[])'
[imapx:A] I/O: ' UID 11322)
* 1167 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00186 UID COPY 11309,11322 "Deleted Items"'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00186 OK [COPYUID 957421 11309,11322 9785:9786] COPY
completed.'
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00208 UID FETCH 11322,11309 (RFC822.SIZE RFC822.HEADER
BODYSTRUCTURE FLAGS)'
[imapx:A] I/O: '") NIL NIL "base64" 3950 51 NIL NIL NIL NIL)
"alternative" ("boundary"
"_002_1ca30a5eda2d4923a03b3b9134bfedcfhawhamburgde_") NIL "de-DE")
FLAGS () UID 11322)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00210 UID FETCH 11322 (BODY.PEEK[])'
[imapx:A] I/O: ' UID 11322)
* 1165 FETCH (UID 11322 FLAGS ())
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00240 UID STORE 11322 +FLAGS.SILENT (\SEEN)'

UID 11329 (the duplicate):

* OK [UIDNEXT 11329] The next unique identifier value
* OK [UIDNEXT 11329] The next unique identifier value
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00206 UID FETCH 11329:* (UID FLAGS)'
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00207 UID FETCH 1:11329 (UID FLAGS)'
* OK [UIDNEXT 11329] The next unique identifier value
* OK [UIDNEXT 11329] The next unique identifier value
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00224 OK [COPYUID 957418 9786 11329] COPY completed.'
[imapx:A] I/O: '* 1171 FETCH (UID 11329 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))'
* 1171 FETCH (UID 11329 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))

From these logs, can you tell what issued the COPY of 11322 and why I
don't see it in my INBOX until I drag the deleted copy back?

Concerning you other questions:
I'm currently using Evolution 3.36.4-0ubuntu1, I will try and see if
this issue remains when using the Flatpack version.

The version of the Exchange server is 14.3.123.0 ("Exchange Server 2010
SP3").

Thanks for your help!
Paul

On Tue, 2020-12-08 at 14:20 +0100, Paul Kernstock wrote:
> this issue is really not that easy to track down, mostly as it
> appears unregularly.

        Hi,
I see. The circumstances to reproduce this (and some other problems)
might be quite complicated. I noticed recently, with a Gmail account,
than when I enter a folder it refreshes its content and suddenly it
shows more messages than there were before I entered the folder. It's
Evolution moving messages to the folder, thus it should show correct
(unread) numbers. I cannot reproduce it on will, it's a similar problem
as that yours, with respect of the reproducibility.

> From these logs, can you tell what issued the COPY of 11322 and why I
> don't see it in my INBOX until I drag the deleted copy back?

Unfortunately not. I do not expect you to miss any important bit of the
log. If I read it correctly, then the message had been received with no
\Delete flag, it was just a regular unread mail. Then Evolution decided
to move it to the Deleted Items. That can be after some UI change or,
the worse, by some bug in the IMAPx code. There had been similar issues
about incorrect flag saving filled in the past, but it's quite long
time ago. I did not spot anything obvious in the related code in those
times, especially after some obvious parts had been fixed. It predates
even 3.32/3.30.

With respect of the duplicate, I'd guess the server did it for some
reason on its own. It sounds weird, but I do not see, from the provided
part of the log, the message to be copied by the Evolution.
Furthermore, the message has set (\Seen \Recent) flags, which means
it's unread and you are the first client seeing it.

I'm sorry I cannot help more.