Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Dario Lesca
In some PEC message, Evolution[1] show only 3 file attach (wrong)
Thunderbird (and other mua) show 4 attach (correct)
The attach missing is "IT01879020517_kTnxj.xml.p7m"

(see image attached)

I must fill a bug or there is a solution?

If you want see the real email saved in mailbox file, let me know.

Many thanks

[1] Version
[[hidden email] ~]$ rpm -q evolution
evolution-3.32.3-1.fc30.x86_64
[[hidden email] ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 30 (Thirty)

--

Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 30 Workstation)
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 30 Workstation)

Selezione_002.resized.png (42K) Download Attachment

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 09:52 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> In some PEC message, Evolution[1] show only 3 file attach (wrong)
> Thunderbird (and other mua) show 4 attach (correct)
> The attach missing is "IT01879020517_kTnxj.xml.p7m"
>
> (see image attached)

        Hi,
there's not much visible on the image. It looks like a digitally signed
message. Such message can have "attachments" with the signature, but
Evolution doesn't show these parts as attachments (it's that green bar
at the top for it). Could Thunderbird show a message signature as an
attachment? What does that file contain, when you save it?

> I must fill a bug or there is a solution?
>
> If you want see the real email saved in mailbox file, let me know.

Providing the test message (with removed/censored all of the private
information of it) would be a good idea. The most important part of the
message is its structure, the data in each part can be (usually)
discarded. As a starter, save the message as an mbox, then get the
structure information from it with a command like this one:

   $ cat eml.mbox | grep -i -C1 Content >cnt.txt

and remove anything private from the resulting cnt.txt before sharing
its content anywhere (like here).

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Dario Lesca
Thanks Milan

Il giorno lun, 01/07/2019 alle 09.27 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list ha scritto:

	Hi,
there's not much visible on the image.

Yes know, but if I post a more large img the message is dropped by huge size

It looks like a digitally signed message.

Yes It is

Such message can have "attachments" with the signature, but
Evolution doesn't show these parts as attachments (it's that green bar
at the top for it).

the message have a valid signature in the green bar, but the attached file not show is a firmed .xml.p7m file

Could Thunderbird show a message signature as an
attachment?

No, TB show this attached file (IT01879020517_kTnxj.xml.p7m) like an attached file and permit download it like other file.

What does that file contain, when you save it?

I must fill a bug or there is a solution?

If you want see the real email saved in mailbox file, let me know.

Providing the test message (with removed/censored all of the private
information of it) would be a good idea. The most important part of the
message is its structure, the data in each part can be (usually)
discarded. As a starter, save the message as an mbox, then get the
structure information from it with a command like this one:

   $ cat eml.mbox | grep -i -C1 Content >cnt.txt

and remove anything private from the resulting cnt.txt before sharing
its content anywhere (like here).

Ok, see attached structure of the message , filtered with your suggested command.
If you want, I can send to you the full message: do not contain particular secret, except email address

Let me know

Thank

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 30 Workstation)

cnt.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 15:06 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Yes know, but if I post a more large img the message is dropped by
> huge size

Feel free to attach a JPG fo;e instead of a bloated PNG file and to
send your message in plain text format instead of unneeded HTML format.

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 15:06 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Ok, see attached structure of the message , filtered with your
> suggested command.

        Hi,
thanks for the structure. It looks like an attachment of an attached
message, if I read it correctly. I do not see why Evolution would not
show it, but maybe I miss some tiny detail.

I see that libcamel (from evolution-data-server, which Evolution uses
for the Mail part) uses the .p7m extension to S/MIME signed or
encrypted parts. It sets it, but it doesn't read it (or compare it), at
least for my grepping for "p7m" in the sources. Evolution itself
doesn't have any "p7m" in the sources.

> If you want, I can send to you the full message: do not contain
> particular secret, except email address

If you can, then please send only to me the message for testing
purposes (the actual address is in the Reply-To header, as the mailing
list software did it in the previous message from me within this
thread). You can replace the email addresses and the actual text in the
message as well - some parts are base64 encoded, thus it's harder to
see what it really contains. Please, mention a reference to this
discussion in the message subject, otherwise I might overlook your
message in my spam folder.
        Thanks and bye,

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 15:06 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> >       Hi,there's not much visible on the image.
>
> Yes  know, but if I post a more large img the message is dropped by
> huge size

Upload it to a public site such as pastebin.org and post the URL.

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Dario Lesca
Il giorno lun, 01/07/2019 alle 22.05 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan ha
scritto:
> Upload it to a public site such as pastebin.org and post the URL.

Images are here:
https://cloud.solinos.it/nxc/index.php/s/p5SLyKXJQorcMra

Evolution Open Original Message[1]: There are 3 file attach, .xml.p7m
is missing (no good)

Thunderbird Open Original Message[2] There are 4 file attach, .xml.p7m
is present (good).

Evolution Forward encapsulate Message[3]: Surprise! ... If I do a
forward of the encapsulation email/file postacert.eml[4], the email
message forwarded contain 2 file and .xml.p7m is present (good).

Good! This is a work around for extract .xml.p7m file in Evo.

I must fill a bug?

Thanks

[1] - https://cloud.solinos.it/nxc/index.php/s/p5SLyKXJQorcMra/download?path=%2F&files=EvoOriginalMsg.png
[2] - https://cloud.solinos.it/nxc/index.php/s/p5SLyKXJQorcMra/download?path=%2F&files=ThBOriginalMsg.png
[3] - https://cloud.solinos.it/nxc/index.php/s/p5SLyKXJQorcMra/download?path=%2F&files=EvoFwMsg.png
[4] - https://cloud.solinos.it/nxc/remote.php/webdav/Photos/EvoAttach/EvoForwardAction.png

Il giorno lun, 01/07/2019 alle 15.45 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list ha scritto:
If you can, then please send only to me the message for testing
purposes

I have send to you the .mbox file.

Many thanks Milan

On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 17:52 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> I have send to you the .mbox file.

        Hi,
thanks, received and tested. The thing is that the inner message has
two application/octet-stream attachments. One is the .xml file, the
other one is .xml.p7m file, both part of multipart/mixed. Evolution
tries to guess what the subparts of the multipart/mixed contain. For
the .xml file it properly guessed it's application/xml and showed it as
such. For the .xml.p7m it properly guessed it's application/pkcs7-mime
part. These are treated specifically in Evolution. You cannot get the
inner .xml file, only the certificate is shown within that red banner
"Invalid signature". When clicking the button on the left of that red
banner, then you'll get the certificate. Not the inner file(s).

I opened a bug for you at [1] (bugs are better for tracking and history
behind the changes) and fixed it for 3.33.4 and 3.32.4.

Thank you for your help with this.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/519

Re: Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Dario Lesca
Il giorno gio, 04/07/2019 alle 11.16 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-
list ha scritto:
> I opened a bug for you at [1] (bugs are better for tracking and
> history behind the changes) and fixed it for 3.33.4 and 3.32.4.
>
> Thank you for your help with this.
>         Bye,
>         Milan
>
> [1]
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/519

Thank you for analysis of the issue, detailed explanation an open a
bug.

Since the problem is not patched I can use the workaround posted in my

Have a nice Days

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 30 Workstation)

Re: (solved) Evolution some time not show .xml.p7m attach

Dario Lesca
Il giorno gio, 04/07/2019 alle 11.16 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list ha scritto:
I opened a bug for you at [1] (bugs are better for tracking and history
behind the changes) and fixed it for 3.33.4 and 3.32.4.

Today I have update to 3.32.4 and the problem is gone

Thank to all.