Evolution stuck on one mail message

Van Snyder
Sometimes when I open a mail message (i.e., click on it's item in the
summary pane), evolution gets stuck on that message and won't display
another one until I kill evolution. The "close" button doesn't work.
Alt-F4 doesn't work.

I'm using an antique 2.32.3, because I'm not allowed to have the root
password for my computer.

1. How can I cause evolution to give up on displaying a message?

2. Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own account?  I've
been told that newer versions will want to change the format of the
stored mail. I'd rather not do that because I have evolution on other
computers (where it works fine). I keep their archives synchronized by
rsync-ing, them using evolution to move from the received package into
the correct archive directories.

Thanks,
Van Snyder

Re: Evolution stuck on one mail message

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> Sometimes when I open a mail message (i.e., click on it's item in the
> summary pane), evolution gets stuck on that message and won't display
> another one until I kill evolution. The "close" button doesn't work.
> Alt-F4 doesn't work.
>
> I'm using an antique 2.32.3, because I'm not allowed to have the root
> password for my computer.
>
> 1. How can I cause evolution to give up on displaying a message?

Close the message preview pane (if you are in the mail component). If
you open the message in a separate window then I guess you cannot.

> 2. Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own
> account?

I'm not sure I understand what that means or how it is related.
If you want to compile Evolution from source and install it in a custom
directory: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution#Developer_Resources
Good luck with the dependencies if you are running such a dated system.

Re: Evolution stuck on one mail message

On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own account?  I've
> been told that newer versions will want to change the format of the
> stored mail. I'd rather not do that because I have evolution on other
> computers (where it works fine). I keep their archives synchronized by
> rsync-ing, them using evolution to move from the received package into
> the correct archive directories.

I'll just note that if your email provider supports IMAP none of that
is necessary.

On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 22:16 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> > Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own account?  I've
> > been told that newer versions will want to change the format of the
> > stored mail. I'd rather not do that because I have evolution on other
> > computers (where it works fine). I keep their archives synchronized by
> > rsync-ing, them using evolution to move from the received package into
> > the correct archive directories.
>
> I'll just note that if your email provider supports IMAP none of that
> is necessary.

All of my accounts are on imap providers. But I don't have my archives
at my providers. I have them on my own computers.

On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 22:44 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> > Sometimes when I open a mail message (i.e., click on it's item in the
> > summary pane), evolution gets stuck on that message and won't display
> > another one until I kill evolution. The "close" button doesn't work.
> > Alt-F4 doesn't work.
> >
> > I'm using an antique 2.32.3, because I'm not allowed to have the root
> > password for my computer.
> >
> > 1. How can I cause evolution to give up on displaying a message?
>
> Close the message preview pane (if you are in the mail component). If
> you open the message in a separate window then I guess you cannot.

I don't see how to close the message preview pane. All I can do is
shrink it by dragging the bar that divides it from the message text.

> > 2. Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own
> > account?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what that means or how it is related.
> If you want to compile Evolution from source and install it in a custom
> directory: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution#Developer_Resources
> Good luck with the dependencies if you are running such a dated system.

I was hoping there's a way to install a binary in my own account. Is
there a statically-linked one that won't ask for stuff that's newer than
the antique OS my computer has?

> Cheers,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Evolution stuck on one mail message

Van Snyder
On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> Sometimes when I open a mail message (i.e., click on it's item in the
> summary pane), evolution gets stuck on that message and won't display
> another one until I kill evolution. The "close" button doesn't work.
> Alt-F4 doesn't work.
>
> I'm using an antique 2.32.3, because I'm not allowed to have the root
> password for my computer.
>
> 1. How can I cause evolution to give up on displaying a message?

This is a new problem. I've been using evolution 2.32.3 for years
because my sys-admin retired and a new one hasn't taken over.

Is there a chance there's something in a configuration file that's
causing the problem? Which one? Where is it?

The problem appears to occur when the message wants to load stuff using
http or https. Sometimes it displays the content, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes, independently of whether it's displayed the content or not,
that message is locked in the message text pane. There's a message
"Retrieving http://so-and-so (0% complete)" in the bottom margin.
Killing that using the little red "X" buttonb doesn't unlock the message
text pane.

I can still read messages by double clicking in the message preview
line, which opens a separate window. I can still change the message
preview to different accounts, or to different folders (such as "Bulk
Mail"). I can still switch to other work, such as editing contacts. So
the program isn't locked up. Just the message text pane.

Re: Evolution stuck on one mail message

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 17:14 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I don't see how to close the message preview pane. All I can do is
> shrink it by dragging the bar that divides it from the message text.

        Hi,
it's in menu View->Preview->Show message preview, or by pressing
Ctrl+M.

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 17:25 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> The problem appears to occur when the message wants to load stuff
> using http or https...

Look at Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages->Loading
Images section. Let it "Never load images from the Internet", to stop
automatic loading of the remote content. You can enable it manually for
each message by View->Load Images (Ctrl+I).

Also look at Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->Headers, there's a
"Show the photograph of sender in the message preview", which could
cause similar delays too.

> Is there a statically-linked one that won't ask for stuff that's
> newer than the antique OS my computer has?

No, there is not such option. You can try either of the following two,
but I doubt you can make Flatpak working in such an old distro.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak
The first link contains, at the very beginning of it, explanation why
the static linking is not possible.

As Andre said, good luck with satisfying dependencies, because you'd
need to build a lot more libraries than listed in the wiki page (which
targets more recent distributions). It's out of question for this list
(or me personally) to guide you through this build process in higher
detail than what is explained on the wiki. I'm sorry, but I hope you
also understand the reasoning.

Re: Evolution stuck on one mail message

Christopher Marlow-3
On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 17:14 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I don't see how to close the message preview pane. All I can do is
>
> shrink it by dragging the bar that divides it from the message text.
--

CTRL M to turn off the preview pane.

Thanks,
Chris