Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 crashing & logging me out of Debian 10.5

Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 crashing & logging me out of Debian 10.5

Dennis Taylor
Hi. I'm hoping that what I am experiencing is something already experienced by others and has solution. I'm currently using Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 in Debian 10.5 Buster and most of the time it works really well. I don't recall but I think I originally installed it through the Synaptic Package Manager that came with Debian 10.5 Buster. Evolution has recently started crashing and at the same time logging me out of Debian 10.5. The 2 events always happen together when this takes place. I can't find a pattern for when this will happen other then the fact that Evolution is the only linux application running when this happens. Sometimes I'm simply in the middle of composing or editing an e-mail and then Evolution crashes and I've been logged out of the Debian OS. I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this and the recommended solution because the nature of this problem seems to be unpredictable. Thanks!

Re: Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 crashing & logging me out of Debian 10.5

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 22:17 -0700, Dennis Taylor wrote:
> I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this and the
> recommended solution because the nature of this problem seems to be
> unpredictable.

        Hi,
it's very hard to guess what the cause is without having at least a
backtrace of the crash. You can get it with gdb, when you attach it to
the running evolution and when evolution crashes you issue the related
commands. As you said you are logged out of the session, I'd just run
Evolution, then switch to the text terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F3), log in
there, then run:

   $ gdb --batch --pid=`pidof evolution` --ex c --ex bt \
         --ex "t a a bt" &>~/bt.txt

then switch back to the graphical console (Alt+F1 or Alt+F2 usually)
and then just use Evolution. Once Evolution crashes the bt.txt may
contain the information. Please check the bt.txt for any private
information, like passwords, email address, server addresses,... I
usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity only), before
you share it anywhere.

You said it begun recently. That may mean something updated, causing
the crash. Maybe the WebKitGTK had been updated to some recent version
say 2.30.x, which causes some issues with drag&drop. I do not know how
your distribution calls the WebKitGTK package, maybe webkit2gtk3, or
libwebkit2gtk3 or completely differently. If it had been updated, then
I'd try to downgrade it.

Re: Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 crashing & logging me out of Debian 10.5

Ángel González
On 2020-11-30 at 22:17 -0700, Dennis Taylor wrote:

> Hi.
> Evolution has recently started crashing and at the same time logging
> me out of Debian 10.5. The 2 events always happen together when this
> takes place. I can't find a pattern for when this will happen other
> then the fact that Evolution is the only linux application running
> when this happens. Sometimes I'm simply in the middle of composing or
> editing an e-mail and then Evolution crashes and I've been logged out
> of the Debian OS. I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced
> this and the recommended solution because the nature of this problem
> seems to be unpredictable. Thanks!

Hello Dennis

Your description makes me think that rather than evolution, the
crashing program may actually be xorg (the X server). When the X server
crashes, all graphical applications will close as well, including
evolution and your desktop. It would then respawn and let you log in
again, thus the conclusion that you have been logged-out.

I don't know why your xorg would be crashing (a faulty update? issues
with the hardware/drivers?). You should be able to find on dmesg some
lines pointing to the program that failed.

Best regards

Re: Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 crashing & logging me out of Debian 10.5

Dennis Taylor
Many thanks Angel. Your suspicions sound solid here as I have received some Debian updates recently about potential issues with the X server. I didn't pursue them to see if this was something that might impact me. After looking at your advice, some dots have just formed and connected for me. Especially the fact that the windowing systems crashes and I get logged out at the same time. Perhaps it is purely just co-incidental that Evolution was the only application that I was running each time this happened and Evolution had nothing to do with the crash and being logged out of Debian. I'm going to go back to the Debian security updates I received in the past regarding X server and follow up.

-denni

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 00:06 +0100, Ángel wrote:
dmesg