Evolution window title

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evolution window title

David Bicking
I recently switched to version 2.4.1. I noticed a change. I used to
minimize evolution and the text that would show in the ... task bar(?)
would have the name of the current folder, and the number of unread mail
in that folder. I could then glance down to see if new mail arrived. Now
it says "Evolution - Mail" and never changes. Is there a way for me to
get it to show if there is new mail.

Didn't see anything in the help files on this. All I saw was playing a
sound when mail arrived, but that is not an acceptible option.

Thanks,
David

--
David Bicking <[hidden email]>

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution window title

Andre Klapper
hi david,

Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2005, 14:22 -0500 schrieb David Bicking:
> I recently switched to version 2.4.1. I noticed a change. I used to
> minimize evolution and the text that would show in the ... task bar(?)
> would have the name of the current folder, and the number of unread mail
> in that folder. I could then glance down to see if new mail arrived. Now
> it says "Evolution - Mail" and never changes. Is there a way for me to
> get it to show if there is new mail.

hmm...seems like you switched from 1.4.x or something like that, the
issue you're describing has been gone since version 1.5. :-)
please take a look at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260354
for the entire story.

cheers,
andre

--
 mailto:[hidden email] | failed!
 http://www.iomc.de

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution window title

David Bicking
In reply to this post by David Bicking
Thanks. Yeah, I was using 1.4. I really liked 1.4. 2.4
is a strange new creature that kind of sort of does
the job for me.

Wow. I kind of gather from what I read that it was the
gnome component that changed.

I was more or less expecting a response of "well,
dummy, that's what the so and so component or applet
is for..."

David
_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Evolution window title

Karsten Bräckelmann-2

> Thanks. Yeah, I was using 1.4. I really liked 1.4. 2.4
> is a strange new creature that kind of sort of does
> the job for me.

Rest assured, I had some hard times switching to 2.0, too. Got used to
it pretty quickly though, and really do love the new UI since. :)


> Wow. I kind of gather from what I read that it was the
> gnome component that changed.
>
> I was more or less expecting a response of "well,
> dummy, that's what the so and so component or applet
> is for..."

Haha, dude, you can have that. :)

There are a lot of mail notification thingies out there, either living
in your Tray [1], on the Panel or in a separate app. Whatever you
prefer. Lot's of them have the ability to monitor way more than one
accounts Inbox only, some can monitor arbitrary (remote) folders and
they show the unread count permanently, even while Evo is not running.
Pick one. :-)

...guenther


[1] er, Notification Area


--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i<l;i++){ i%8? c<<=1:
(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evolution window title

David Bicking
In reply to this post by David Bicking
> From: guenther <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Evolution] Re:  Evolution window title

> > Thanks. Yeah, I was using 1.4. I really liked 1.4. 2.4
> > is a strange new creature that kind of sort of does
> > the job for me.
>
> Rest assured, I had some hard times switching to 2.0, too. Got used to
> it pretty quickly though, and really do love the new UI since. :)
>
> > Wow. I kind of gather from what I read that it was the
> > gnome component that changed.
> >
> > I was more or less expecting a response of "well,
> > dummy, that's what the so and so component or applet
> > is for..."
>
> Haha, dude, you can have that. :)
>
> There are a lot of mail notification thingies out there, either living
> in your Tray [1], on the Panel or in a separate app. Whatever you
> prefer. Lot's of them have the ability to monitor way more than one
> accounts Inbox only, some can monitor arbitrary (remote) folders and
> they show the unread count permanently, even while Evo is not running.
> Pick one. :-)
>
> ...guenther

I seem to recall that the last time I played with gnome, years ago, I
was able to right click and 'Add to Panel' and such a gizmo was listed
as a choice. Now I am giving gnome another try, but Ubuntu doesn't seem
to have such a gizmo available where I can find it. And looking in
synaptic, nothing really strikes me as being what I want, or too vague a
description to tell, and while not nearly as bad as a certain OS coming
out of Redmond, trying package after trying to find the one I like can
mess of the system. Oh well.

Yeah, I probably will either grow to like the current evo way, or just
plain forget why I thought the old way was better...

But anyway, what I am looking for is some kind of notification that
email has arrived, but not just any email -- evo does do that annoying
ping sound and I sometimes am in a quiet enough environment to even hear
it, but rather that evo's filter have put the mail in the folder that I
actually do want to know about.

Can you recommend a gizmo or evo option that will let me know that
without eating too much screen real estate?

Thanks,
David


_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Evolution window title

Thomas Edward Beasley Junior
In reply to this post by David Bicking
David, I knew a David Bicking in West Virginia. You wouldn't happen to be him, would you? :-)

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 04:47 -0800, David Bicking wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I was using 1.4. I really liked 1.4. 2.4
is a strange new creature that kind of sort of does
the job for me.

Wow. I kind of gather from what I read that it was the
gnome component that changed.

I was more or less expecting a response of "well,
dummy, that's what the so and so component or applet
is for..." 

David
_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
--
Thomas Edward Beasley Junior <[hidden email]>

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Evolution window title

Karsten Bräckelmann-2
In reply to this post by David Bicking

> But anyway, what I am looking for is some kind of notification that
> email has arrived, but not just any email -- evo does do that annoying
> ping sound and I sometimes am in a quiet enough environment to even hear
> it, but rather that evo's filter have put the mail in the folder that I
> actually do want to know about.
>
> Can you recommend a gizmo or evo option that will let me know that
> without eating too much screen real estate?

For some reason I feel like I already posted this, but can't find it.
So, here it goes. :)


Personally, I do use Mail Notification [1] currently, which pops up
notifications for new mails, but doesn't display the unread count.

There are others, like evonotify [2]. Having a look at GnomeFiles [3]
and searching for stuff like this probably is a good idea, too. And
finally, there always are non-GNOME apps like gkrellm, that can watch
mail accounts.


Apart from all the above, there recently was a post on this list about
an applet that actually listens to the Evo generated dbus message. One
of the Evo developers uses it personally and put the source on a web
server -- cause he didn't remember, where he got it from. :) I don't
recall the exact details of the message, unfortunately, only the fact I
deleted it today... :/

Hopefully he reads this post and mentions the URL again...

...guenther


[1] http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
[2] http://www.grawert.net/software/evonotify/index.html
[3] http://gnomefiles.org/


--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i<l;i++){ i%8? c<<=1:
(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list