Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Romain Pélissier
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum and I hope I could have some help^or advice about an issue I have with evolution.
Just for the record : I have a project to use a linux box (SUSE 10) as I use an xp box in my corporate network. To do so, I need and email client that could be use the same way that users use their Outlook 2000 app.
I also do not want to modify too much my exchange 2003 settings because I need the email client on the linux box to conect to the exchange server with to other settings that an xp box does, meaning that the linux box have to adapt itself with the corporate environement.

After looking around the net, I have found that only evolution is able to connect to exchange 2000/2003 in 'native' mode, meaning no IMAP, POP or other special config.
I have installed it, I hope with the latest version but when it comes to the configuration, it always hang ...

Here you wil find some little informations about my settings, I will post some other debug info later if needed (like IIS log file, ethereal dump).
FireFox
> If I use webmail on firefox on my linux bos, I have to enter https://myemailserver/exchange.
> after that I am prompted accept the certificate,
> then enter the user name like mydomain.com\myusername
> I am in

Evolution:
I have started with a basic setup (smtp account to be sure that I can enter in the apps (if I try to configure directly the exchange conenction, it crash)
> in my email, I have entered [hidden email] (I have read that in the doc)
> I have also imported the certificate into evolution and it appear in the root certificates store
> then when I try to configure the exchange connection :
- user name : combination of mydomain.com\myusername or my username don't know which one to use ...
- password : plain text (the certificate server is not located on the same box as the email server and to make it work I have setuped my iis/exchange box to accept plain text password

* every try to conect to the exchange server hangs the application.
* the iis (internet information service that is to say the web server on the email server) seems to receive the request (I see some get command on the username folder)
* the packets dump done with ethereal does not show any errors and things seems to work on this side.

HAve anyone of you be able to make evolution works with Exchange 2003 ? I really need some help here because I don't know what makes the app hang : some settings on the server side or maybe some setup on evolution.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated !!!!

Romain Pélissier
Administrateur Systèmes
System Administrator
T 514.333.6600 # 126
F514.333.1080
[hidden email]

http://www.sqliaison.com/

Confidentiality Warning:
This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) or Entity, are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.
Information confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie, distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce message et tout document joint de votre système.

- owa url : https://myemailserver.mydoamin.com/exchange/myusername
[...]

Re: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Sarfraaz Ahmed
Hi Romain,

Which version of evolution are you using ? From the description it looks
like mostly evo 2.2 or later. In either case, evolution could hang, when
the evolution-exchange-storage process might have crashed. Try attaching
gdb to evolution-exchange-storage process when evolution hangs, and get
the backtrace for that. Also attach gdb to the hung evolution process,
so that we can know its state.

http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces .. this will help you in
understanding how to get the traces from a process using gdb.

Please a file a bug in bugzilla.gnome.org, so that it can be tracked
well.

Your setup seems to be using Form-based-authentication over an SSL
connection. There are a few bugs on this already in bugzilla [ under
Connector product ], though i dont quite remember the bug id off the
head now. You could keep a track on them too.

-- Sarfraaz

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:59 -0500, Romain Pélissier wrote:

> [...]
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> this message and any attachments from your system.
> Information
> confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
> distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
> en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> message et tout document joint de votre système.

RE: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

thanks for the reply,
I will try to give this buf trace even if I don't really know how to do that in KDE and Suse 10 ...

But I want to send a request to all users that have already made a successfull connection to exchange 2003 with evo : is someone here could be kndly enough to give a brief desciption of his settings to be sure that I am in the right way to configure evo ? It could help a lot of people here.
Be sure that as soon as I have a successful connection I will make an HOW-TO about that and poste it on my blog or somewhere where it can be healpful to linux community.

thanks

> [...]

> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> this message and any attachments from your system.
> Information
> confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
> distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
> en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> message et tout document joint de votre système.

RE: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Can you help me with the bug report tool called bug buddy ?
I really don't know how I can send a trace of the program .... sorry linux beginner here :-)
I also saw that I can use some debug parameters but I don't know how to do that ...

> [...]

> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> this message and any attachments from your system.
> Information
> confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
> distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
> en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> message et tout document joint de votre système.

RE: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Also, I am thinking that maybe, one of the problem could be the settings on the exchange server itself, like form bases authentification, ssl, etc.
It could be very interesting that users that successfully use the exchange connectir with exchange 2003 could give some information about their server settings.
For exemple : when I check on the exchange server the authentication settings on the HTTP protocol, there is no SSL auth BUT my IIS (web server) require a certificate to access webmail .... maybe it could be one of the problem ... don't know.

Please other Exchange users, share your settings and knowledge !

> [...]

> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> this message and any attachments from your system.
> Information
> confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
> distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
> en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> message et tout document joint de votre système.

RE: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Sushma Rai

http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces explains how to get the traces.

> But I want to send a request to all users that have already made a successfull connection to exchange 2003 with evo : is someone here could be kndly enough to give a brief desciption of his settings to be sure that I am in the right way to configure evo ? It could help a lot of people here.
> Be sure that as soon as I have a successful connection I will make an HOW-TO about that and poste it on my blog or somewhere where it can be healpful to linux community.

Which version of Evolution you are using?
If it is Evolution 2.2.x or 2.4.x, to configure an account you just need
to provide the OWA URL, user name and password, in the same way, when
you try to access you account using OWA, and it should  work.

Thanks,
-Sushma.

Re: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Geert Theys
Sushma Rai schreef:

>Which version of Evolution you are using?
>If it is Evolution 2.2.x or 2.4.x, to configure an account you just need
>to provide the OWA URL, user name and password, in the same way, when
>you try to access you account using OWA, and it should  work.

Well it doesn't. I tried different things. Even installing internet
explorer to read my mail and use the calendar options.

But after 5 years working with linux at work I gave in and installed
windows.

Reasons: needed to connect to exchange and wanted to print(wrote my own
ppd for our printer, but some fonts i can't print and got tired trying
to get it to work for all).

Regards.

Re: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Koszta Tamás
Hi!
I have the same problem as well.
It worked before, but when NTLMv2 policy was enforced in our active
directory it stopped working.
Same problem with evo 2.2, evo 2.4

Romain P�lissier wrote:

>Hi,
>Just to let you know that after few debugging my web server (IIS) have an HTTP error 500 (internal error)
>

>Romain P�lissier
>Administrateur Syst�mes
>System Administrator
>
>T 514.333.6600 # 126
>
>F514.333.1080
>[hidden email]
>

>http://www.sqliaison.com/
>

>Confidentiality Warning:
>This message and any
> attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) or
> Entity, are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended
> conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message
> and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> this message and any attachments from your system.
>Information
> confidentielle:Le pr�sent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> joint, est envoy� � l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> information privil�gi�e. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> destinataire pr�vu que tout examen, r�acheminement, impression, copie,
> distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> est strictement interdit. Si vous n'�tes pas le destinataire pr�vu, veuillez
> en aviser imm�diatement l'exp�diteur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> message et tout document joint de votre syst�me.

Can you look at the bug
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=323345

It points to many account creation issues.
If you have a similar set up as in any of those bugs,
Please update that bug with your inputs.
If not, can you file a new bug with E2K_DEBUG traces?
(see
http://gnome.org/projects/evolution/bugs.shtml)

Thanks,
Sushma.

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 09:19 +0100, Geert Theys wrote:

> Sushma Rai schreef:
>
> >Which version of Evolution you are using?
> >If it is Evolution 2.2.x or 2.4.x, to configure an account you just need
> >to provide the OWA URL, user name and password, in the same way, when
> >you try to access you account using OWA, and it should  work.
> >

> Well it doesn't. I tried different things. Even installing internet
> explorer to read my mail and use the calendar options.
>

> But after 5 years working with linux at work I gave in and installed
> windows.
>
> Reasons: needed to connect to exchange and wanted to print(wrote my own
> ppd for our printer, but some fonts i can't print and got tired trying
> to get it to work for all).
>
> Regards.

Re: Exchange 2003 and Evolution connector problem

Sushma Rai

Can you file an bug on this On Connector component,
so that it'll be easier to track this issue.

Thanks,
Sushma.

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:56 +0100, Koszta Tamás wrote:

> Hi!
> I have the same problem as well.
> It worked before, but when NTLMv2 policy was enforced in our active
> directory it stopped working.
> Same problem with evo 2.2, evo 2.4
>
> Romain Pélissier wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Just to let you know that after few debugging my web server (IIS) have an HTTP error 500 (internal error)
> >

> >Romain Pélissier
> >Administrateur Systèmes
> >System Administrator
> >
> >T 514.333.6600 # 126
> >
> >F514.333.1080
> >[hidden email]
> >

> >http://www.sqliaison.com/
> >

> >Confidentiality Warning:
> >This message and any
> > attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) or
> > Entity, are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended
> > recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
> > conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message
> > and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> > recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
> > this message and any attachments from your system.
> >Information
> > confidentielle:Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est
> > joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires ou
> > de l'organisation; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
> > information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
> > destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
> > distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
> > est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
> > en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
> > message et tout document joint de votre système.

Ross Vandegrift-3
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:59:46PM -0500, Romain P?lissier wrote:
> Evolution:
> I have started with a basic setup (smtp account to be sure that I can enter in the apps (if I try to configure directly the exchange conenction, it crash)
> > in my email, I have entered [hidden email] (I have read that in the doc)
> > I have also imported the certificate into evolution and it appear in the root certificates store
> > then when I try to configure the exchange connection :
> - owa url : https://myemailserver.mydoamin.com/exchange/myusername

This may be your problem.  This format URL worked fine for me under
Evo 22.  But when I switched to Evo 2.4, I coudln't read any mail.

I rectified the situation by:
1) Changing my OWA URL to https://emailserver/exchange
2) Deleting my ~/.evolution

> - user name : combination of mydomain.com\myusername or my username don't know which one to use ...

I've never had to use domain\username, but I'll bet it varies based on
setup.

> - password : plain text (the certificate server is not located on the same box as the email server and to make it work I have setuped my iis/exchange box to accept plain text password

I haven't ever been able to get plain text passwords working.  Again,
this could be an exchange setup difference, not sure.  But Secure Auth
always works for me.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."