Exchange and Outlook->Evolultion Migration

Exchange and Outlook->Evolultion Migration

MJang
Folks,

Just wondering how things work on MS Exchange and the conversion path
from MS Outlook-> Evolution. I've read docs such as
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/index.html?page=/documentation/nld/evolution/data/outlook-migration.html

and can't find a clear answer - probably because I'm not a MS Exchange
admin.

I understand that I have to install the evolution-exchange RPM or DEB to
facilitate an Evolution connection to MS Exchange.

Is all the data on the server - and therefore, no conversion required
through Mozilla Mail? Or are these migration steps required even for
users with MS Exchange accounts?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Exchange and Outlook->Evolultion Migration

MJang
Thanks for your reply. However, your response raises a different
question, please see inline

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 11:12 +0530, Sarfraaz Ahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The link below explains the migration of any data that you have stored
> on your windows partition while using OutLook to your Linux partition,
> so that the evolution running on Linux can access the data on your
> harddisk.

The link as I provided and have read suggests that I use Mozilla Mail
for Windows to enable conversion of local data.

Is Novell really relying on Mozilla tools to convert data? Is there no
tool in the works from Novell?

I've seen some of the 3rd party tools such as outport, and ol2mbox, and
they seem out of date and no longer in development.

Thanks,
Mike

> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 16:49 -0700, MJang wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Just wondering how things work on MS Exchange and the conversion path
> > from MS Outlook-> Evolution. I've read docs such as
> > http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/index.html?page=/documentation/nld/evolution/data/outlook-migration.html
> >
> > and can't find a clear answer - probably because I'm not a MS Exchange
> > admin.
> >
> > I understand that I have to install the evolution-exchange RPM or DEB to
> > facilitate an Evolution connection to MS Exchange.

Re: Re: Exchange and Outlook->Evolultion Migration

Andre Klapper
hi mike,

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 04:41 -0700, MJang wrote:
> The link as I provided and have read suggests that I use Mozilla Mail
> for Windows to enable conversion of local data.
>
> Is Novell really relying on Mozilla tools to convert data?

yes.

> Is there no tool in the works from Novell?

apparently and currently: no, there isn't.

cheers,

 mailto:[hidden email] | failed!
 http://www.iomc.de

Re: Re: Exchange and Outlook->Evolultion Migration

Murray Trainer

Hi Guys,

I found a debian utility called readpst which converts unencrypted
Outlook PST files to mbox format.  I managed to compile it on my SuSE
machine and it works pretty well converting about %99+ of mail
properly.  I then wrote a perl script that moves the extracted mbox
directory tree into the Evolution type of heirarchy (using subfolders
dirs) from the extracted mboxes.  It was a bit tricky to get the
recursion algorithm right.  I also had to copy a few empty Evolution
index files into each of the directories containing an mbox for it to
work.  Anyway, it works pretty well. For other Oulook content such as
calendars the Outport program seems to work OK.

Murray