Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
Hello,

I am running Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1  under Linux Mint 9.3 Mate 64 Bit

Evolution has been operating satisfactorily since I installed it in February until the last couple of days when I get the error 'Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object' when I try to create a new entry in the calendar.

There is one previous post in the archive that implies that turning the calendars off and on again cures it - I have tried this but it does not work in my case.

I have looked at the dta file in /home/john/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system and the only file is 'calendar.ics' which Has Read - Wrirte permission for th eowner and read only for the others. Changing the group to read write does not cure it.

Nothing on the internet for this error other than the one report in the archive as shown above.

The 'Birthdays & Anniversarys still show in the calendar and can be turned on & off with the tick box so evolution still seems to be reading the data.

The error occurs even if I turn off B&A and then try to create a new appointment.

Can anyone help me on fixing this.

Thanks

John Murrell






_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 09:44 +0000, John Murrell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1  under Linux Mint 9.3
> Mate 64 Bit
>
> Evolution has been operating satisfactorily since I installed it in
> February until the last couple of days when I get the error 'Failed to
> open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object'
> when I try to create a new entry in the calendar.
>
> There is one previous post in the archive that implies that turning the
> calendars off and on again cures it - I have tried this but it does not
> work in my case.
>
> I have looked at the dta file in
> /home/john/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system and the only file is
> 'calendar.ics' which Has Read - Wrirte permission for th eowner and
> read only for the others. Changing the group to read write does not
> cure it.
>
> Nothing on the internet for this error other than the one report in the
> archive as shown above.
>
> The 'Birthdays & Anniversarys still show in the calendar and can be
> turned on & off with the tick box so evolution still seems to be
> reading the data.
>
> The error occurs even if I turn off B&A and then try to create a new
> appointment.
>
> Can anyone help me on fixing this.

It's important to say how your calendar is configured. Is it local?
Does it use a server such as Google Calendar or Exchange?

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
In response to below:


'It's important to say how your calendar is configured. Is it local?

Does it use a server such as Google Calendar or Exchange?

poc


I believe my calender is local - I imported the email messages from MS Outlook when I dumped Win7 and moved to Linux in February.

I don't think I told the installation programme about Google Mail or an Exchange Server. My email is downloaded from a remote mail server but I don't think that has any calendar facility.

There is an outside possibility the problem may be related to my installing the Microsoft Teams Linux version. The problem seems to have started around the same time I held my initial meeting in MS Teams.

I can't see anything obvious under 'Preferences' or accounts to show how the calendar is configured. Should I look elsewhere ?

Regards

John



On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 13:29 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 09:44 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
Hello,

I am running Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1  under Linux Mint 9.3
Mate 64 Bit

Evolution has been operating satisfactorily since I installed it in
February until the last couple of days when I get the error 'Failed to
open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object'
when I try to create a new entry in the calendar.

There is one previous post in the archive that implies that turning the
calendars off and on again cures it - I have tried this but it does not
work in my case.

I have looked at the dta file in
/home/john/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system and the only file is
'calendar.ics' which Has Read - Wrirte permission for th eowner and
read only for the others. Changing the group to read write does not
cure it.

Nothing on the internet for this error other than the one report in the
archive as shown above.

The 'Birthdays & Anniversarys still show in the calendar and can be
turned on & off with the tick box so evolution still seems to be
reading the data.

The error occurs even if I turn off B&A and then try to create a new
appointment.

Can anyone help me on fixing this.

It's important to say how your calendar is configured. Is it local?
Does it use a server such as Google Calendar or Exchange?

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 14:58 +0000, John Murrell wrote:

> > 'It's important to say how your calendar is configured. Is it local?
> > Does it use a server such as Google Calendar or Exchange?
> > poc
>
> I believe my calender is local - I imported the email messages from MS
> Outlook when I dumped Win7 and moved to Linux in February.
> I don't think I told the installation programme about Google Mail or an
> Exchange Server. My email is downloaded from a remote mail server but I
> don't think that has any calendar facility.
> There is an outside possibility the problem may be related to my
> installing the Microsoft Teams Linux version. The problem seems to have
> started around the same time I held my initial meeting in MS Teams.
> I can't see anything obvious under 'Preferences' or accounts to show
> how the calendar is configured. Should I look elsewhere ?

You mean you didn't actually configure a calendar when setting up
Evolution? If that's the case, I don't quite see why you have any
calendar functionality at all, so maybe start there. The online Help
has several relevant entries if you search for 'calendar'.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
I guess I may have imported my calender from outlook, it was 6 weeks ago and I did the transfer from following some web pages - I think converting to mbox and then importing them if I remember correctly

- it think it was working ok until a few days ago though I am not sure when I tried to add the last entry - most seem to be deleted or cancelled at present couple of days ago. I can still edit existing entries in the calendar. I have cancelled a couple today. However what I can't do is to create a new appointment I get the error message in the title.

As in the original post I have a calendar.ics file and I also have a contacts.db file in /home/john/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system. My contacts seem to be working ok. The only odd thing is they mostly have a Birth date & Anniversary date as 1/1/9999 !! As a result if I edit them I get a message stating 'Birth Date Cannot Be a future date'

Hope this helps

John Murrell



On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 17:08 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 14:58 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
'It's important to say how your calendar is configured. Is it local?
Does it use a server such as Google Calendar or Exchange?
poc

I believe my calender is local - I imported the email messages from MS
Outlook when I dumped Win7 and moved to Linux in February. 
I don't think I told the installation programme about Google Mail or an
Exchange Server. My email is downloaded from a remote mail server but I
don't think that has any calendar facility. 
There is an outside possibility the problem may be related to my
installing the Microsoft Teams Linux version. The problem seems to have
started around the same time I held my initial meeting in MS Teams.
I can't see anything obvious under 'Preferences' or accounts to show
how the calendar is configured. Should I look elsewhere ?

You mean you didn't actually configure a calendar when setting up
Evolution? If that's the case, I don't quite see why you have any
calendar functionality at all, so maybe start there. The online Help
has several relevant entries if you search for 'calendar'.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 17:53 +0000, John Murrell wrote:

> I guess I may have imported my calender from outlook, it was 6 weeks
> ago and I did the transfer from following some web pages - I think
> converting to mbox and then importing them if I remember correctly
>  - it think it was working ok until a few days ago though I am not sure
> when I tried to add the last entry - most seem to be deleted or
> cancelled at present couple of days ago. I can still edit existing
> entries in the calendar. I have cancelled a couple today. However what
> I can't do is to create a new appointment I get the error message in
> the title.
> As in the original post I have a calendar.ics file and I also have a
> contacts.db file in
> /home/john/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system. My contacts seem
> to be working ok. The only odd thing is they mostly have a Birth date &
> Anniversary  date as 1/1/9999 !! As a result if I edit them I get a
> message stating 'Birth Date Cannot Be a future date'

[Please don't top-post on the list. It makes threads harder to follow]

Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
uninitialized field.

I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 19:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
uninitialized field.

I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.

poc


I have backed up my calendar.ics file - looking at it with notepad it looks ok no corruption and the edits I made to appointments today are all there.

I can't delete my calendar file as the command is greyed out. The delete contacts command is also greyed out. Not sure why.

However I have found that Under Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties - Type on this computer - Name Personal there is a tick box 'use in Birthdays & Anniversaries Calendar' if I untick this I am now able to create new appointments instead of getting the error message above. Does this help in the diagnostics ?

I can use that as a temporary fix but it would be good to get Birthdays & anniversaries shown again.

Could the error message be the result of a corrupted / invalid birthday in the address book as I have edited several of these recently ?

Thanks

John Murrell







_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 20:51 +0000, John Murrell wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 19:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
> > contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
> > uninitialized field.
> >
> > I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
> > delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
> > entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
> > file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.
> >
> > poc
> >
>
> I have backed up my calendar.ics file - looking at it with notepad it looks ok no corruption and the edits I made to appointments today are all there.
>
> I can't delete my calendar file as the command is greyed out. The
> delete contacts command is also greyed out. Not sure why.

You can always delete it from outside Evolution. Before doing so, stop
Evo completely, including all associated processes (quit Evo and run
'pkill evolution'). Then restart, create a new calendar and import the
old file.

NB: I'm just improvising here as personally I use online calendars
rather than local ones. Perhaps other list members have a better idea.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 22:34 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 20:51 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 19:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
uninitialized field.

I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.

poc


I have backed up my calendar.ics file - looking at it with notepad it looks ok no corruption and the edits I made to appointments today are all there.

I can't delete my calendar file as the command is greyed out. The
delete contacts command is also greyed out. Not sure why.

You can always delete it from outside Evolution. Before doing so, stop
Evo completely, including all associated processes (quit Evo and run
'pkill evolution'). Then restart, create a new calendar and import the
old file.

NB: I'm just improvising here as personally I use online calendars
rather than local ones. Perhaps other list members have a better idea.

poc

I have stumbled on a cure In Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties On this Computer - Personal there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar.
If I untick this I can now create new entries in the Calendar and the error message above no longer appears. 
The birthdays which are in the Contacts book still appear though I have not tested if any new entries appear.

Does this give any clue as to what the problem is ?

Regards

John


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 20:49 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Neither does the contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much
> like an uninitialized field.

        Hi,
being this about Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar, then the address
books data matters, because this calendar opens the configured books
and searches for contacts with either birthday or anniversary dates
filled and shows them as the calendar events. Looking at the code, the
only place where the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar returns
"Invalid object" is not on open, but when something adds a timezone to
it.

What I do not understand is why you see such error when you are
creating a new event. The component editor doesn't open all calendars,
it opens only the one to be used as the target calendar. Is it possible
the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar is selected as the default
calendar (you can see it in its Properties)? Eventually, when in the
Calendar view, is the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar selected on
the left side, in the list of available calendars? Both can be used to
determine in which calendar start the component editor. The Birthdays &
Anniversaries calendar is read-only, you may see such information at
the top when you selected it as the destination calendar.

I believe the year 9999 is the problem. Try to cleanup your contacts
from these odd values. It can be the export tool from the Outlook saved
incorrect date. Maybe cleanup the contacts before importing. It might
be semi-easy being it a vCard format. You can save your address book as
one large vCard by right-clicking it in the Contacts view and pick Save
as vCard, then edit the file, delete the contacts in Evolution and
import it back. Having a backup before doing this is a good idea.

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: by the way, John, I didn't receive mails you sent, I see only
messages from poc for some reason (neither the archives show your
mails [1]). Could you reply to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution) instead
of to me only (if that's the case), please? Private mails do not help
others. I added you into the CC just in case you are not on the list (I
do not know whether you are), but I usually reply only to the list,
because I receive the messages through the list. If you are not on the
list, then just say so, I can keep you in CC if needed. Thanks for your
understanding.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-March/thread.html

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 10:52 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 20:49 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Neither does the contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much
like an uninitialized field.

	Hi,
being this about Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar, then the address
books data matters, because this calendar opens the configured books
and searches for contacts with either birthday or anniversary dates
filled and shows them as the calendar events. Looking at the code, the
only place where the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar returns
"Invalid object" is not on open, but when something adds a timezone to
it.

What I do not understand is why you see such error when you are
creating a new event. The component editor doesn't open all calendars,
it opens only the one to be used as the target calendar. Is it possible
the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar is selected as the default
calendar (you can see it in its Properties)? Eventually, when in the
Calendar view, is the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar selected on
the left side, in the list of available calendars? Both can be used to
determine in which calendar start the component editor. The Birthdays &
Anniversaries calendar is read-only, you may see such information at
the top when you selected it as the destination calendar.

I believe the year 9999 is the problem. Try to cleanup your contacts
from these odd values. It can be the export tool from the Outlook saved
incorrect date. Maybe cleanup the contacts before importing. It might
be semi-easy being it a vCard format. You can save your address book as
one large vCard by right-clicking it in the Contacts view and pick Save
as vCard, then edit the file, delete the contacts in Evolution and
import it back. Having a backup before doing this is a good idea.

	Bye,
	Milan

P.S.: by the way, John, I didn't receive mails you sent, I see only
messages from poc for some reason (neither the archives show your
mails [1]). Could you reply to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution) instead
of to me only (if that's the case), please? Private mails do not help
others. I added you into the CC just in case you are not on the list (I
do not know whether you are), but I usually reply only to the list,
because I receive the messages through the list. If you are not on the
list, then just say so, I can keep you in CC if needed. Thanks for your
understanding.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-March/thread.html

Milan thanks - I will try removing the Birthday & anniversary dates but
I have around 700 to edit. Exporting to a vCard sounds like the way to go 
but I don't think I can delete my contacts as this is greyed out.

After that I will see if that is a fix. I have been able to create new
calendar entries since I imported the data from Outlook - the Invalid
Object problem has only started in the last few days. 
If it is related to time zones could it have been triggered by the US
Summer time change even though I am in the UK ? (UK have not changed to
Summer Time Yet)

FYI - not sure if it a 'bug' but in the contacts list view the year
'9999' shows as '99' so could be confused with 1999

I suspect there is a bit of a hole in the software as normally it does
not allow you to enter a date in the future for Birthdays - not sure
about anniversaries ? Having got the date in the future in there thre
is no net to catch it. 
By the look of it all the 1/1/9999 dates should be blank or none as it
shows when you delete the 1/1/9999

In terms of the reply to the list I have been but all my messages seem
to be held for moderation as a non-user. Not sure why as I signed up
and replied to the email before sending the first of these.

It may be that my emails originate from a different address to the one
I signed up for. I signed up with a 'disposable address' so if it gets
spammed I just divert all emails to that address to the trash.

John Murrell



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 10:52 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> P.S.: by the way, John, I didn't receive mails you sent, I see only
> messages from poc for some reason (neither the archives show your
> mails [1]).

He's been CC-ing the list on each of those replies. something I've only
just noticed. However he wasn't subscribed so they were piling up on
the moderator's page. I'm approving them all now so they should appear,
and he is now subscribed so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

John: as Milan says, the proper way to reply is with Ctrl-L (Reply to
List). Sometimes this doesn't work because the message you are replying
to doesn't have the right headers. This happens when someone up the
chain uses Reply All (Shift-Ctrl-R), meaning that every subsequent
message on the same branch is forced to use Reply All. Ironic, because
it's actually harder to type, but many mail clients don't support Reply
List properly so it happens from time to time.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by John Murrell
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 11:55 +0100, John Murrell wrote:
> Exporting to a vCard sounds like the way to go
> but I don't think I can delete my contacts as this is greyed out.

        Hi,
I didn't mean to delete the address book, I meant to delete only the
contacts in it (aka select the book, then click on one of the contacts,
then in menu Edit->Select All, followed by Edit->Delete Contact). You
can also create a new local address book and try to import your
modified contacts there first, to verify the imported bits will look
properly.

> If it is related to time zones could it have been triggered by the US
> Summer time change even though I am in the UK ? (UK have not changed
> to Summer Time Yet)

I guess (and hope) not. The code I've been referring to is not called
during the calendar open, thus it should not influence the open
behavior.

> FYI - not sure if it a 'bug' but in the contacts list view the year
> '9999' shows as '99' so could be confused with 1999

That is derived from your locale. You can change the format in
Edit->Preferences->Contacts->Date/Time format, at the very top of the
General tab.

> I suspect there is a bit of a hole in the software as normally it
> does not allow you to enter a date in the future for Birthdays - not
> sure about anniversaries ?

There is a difference between content validation when user edits the
contact in the GUI and between contact import. The check on edit tries
to avoid user mistakes. The import expects valid data.

> In terms of the reply to the list I have been but all my messages
> seem to be held for moderation as a non-user.

Ah, I see, poc already flushed the queue (thanks poc). I'm sorry for
the noise.

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 14:23 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 11:55 +0100, John Murrell wrote:
Exporting to a vCard sounds like the way to go 
but I don't think I can delete my contacts as this is greyed out.

	Hi,
I didn't mean to delete the address book, I meant to delete only the
contacts in it (aka select the book, then click on one of the contacts,
then in menu Edit->Select All, followed by Edit->Delete Contact). You
can also create a new local address book and try to import your
modified contacts there first, to verify the imported bits will look
properly.

I exported my contacts to a VCard file and then deleted all my contacts
as suggested - select all then delete. I tried to create a new
appointment but still get the Invalid Object error even with no
contacts.

I then cleaned the VCF file using a text editor to delete all the BDAYS
* Anniversary dated 9999 and reloaded it and I still get the same
error. The file looks clean now with no 1/1/9999 dates.

I have tried with and without 'Birthdays & Anniversary selected and it
makes no difference - Birthdays no longer show if the box is ticked or
not unlike last night when I could turn them on & off using the tick
box. The only way to get the Birthdays to show is to re-enable the 
'Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties On this Computer - Personal 
there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar.'

See below for my 'cure' last night that has now failed again.




If it is related to time zones could it have been triggered by the US
Summer time change even though I am in the UK ? (UK have not changed
to Summer Time Yet)

I guess (and hope) not. The code I've been referring to is not called
during the calendar open, thus it should not influence the open
behavior.

FYI - not sure if it a 'bug' but in the contacts list view the year
'9999' shows as '99' so could be confused with 1999

That is derived from your locale. You can change the format in
Edit->Preferences->Contacts->Date/Time format, at the very top of the
General tab.

I suspect there is a bit of a hole in the software as normally it
does not allow you to enter a date in the future for Birthdays - not
sure about anniversaries ?

There is a difference between content validation when user edits the
contact in the GUI and between contact import. The check on edit tries
to avoid user mistakes. The import expects valid data.


I mentioned in an earlier message that I had solved the problem by
'I have stumbled on a cure In Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties 
On this Computer - Personal there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & 
Anniversaries calendar.'

This worked ok last night but by this morning the error had returned.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by John Murrell


On Mon, 23 Mar 2020, 12:13 pm John Murrell, <[hidden email]> wrote:
It may be that my emails originate from a different address to the one
I signed up for. I signed up with a 'disposable address' so if it gets
spammed I just divert all emails to that address to the trash.
That would certainly not work. The list can't know that those two addresses are the same user. You need to subscribe with the address you intend to use and unsubscribe the other one of that's the case.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

***UNCHECKED*** Re: Failed to open calendar“Contacts : Birthdays &Anniversaries” Invalid object

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by John Murrell
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 15:21 +0100, John Murrell wrote:
> This worked ok last night but by this morning the error had returned.

        Hi,
okay. I gave this some testing, even with the same ancient version you
use (3.28.5) and I can reproduce the error when using
File->New->Appointment when my environment satisfies one of the two
conditions I mentioned earlier, namely here:

On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 10:52 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> The component editor doesn't open all calendars, it opens only the
> one to be used as the target calendar. Is it possible the Birthdays &
> Anniversaries calendar is selected as the default calendar (you can
> see it in its Properties)? Eventually, when in the Calendar view, is
> the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar selected on the left side, in
> the list of available calendars? Both can be used to determine in
> which calendar start the component editor. The Birthdays &
> Anniversaries calendar is read-only, you may see such information at
> the top when you selected it as the destination calendar.

When I correct it, the Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar is not used
as the calendar to create the event in, it stops claiming the error and
opens the component editor as expected.

With this found, the "invalid object" is not really from the open
itself, it's triggered later, when the caller asks for the default
iCalendar object to be used for the calendar, but the backend returns
NULL (because it is read-only), which is an invalid iCalendar object.

        Bye,
        Milan


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

***UNCHECKED*** Re: Failed to open calendar“Contacts : Birthdays &Anniversaries” Invalid object

John Murrell
In reply to this post by John Murrell
Following on from my earlier message I have found a fix - at least temporarily I have purged all the entries in my Calendar older than 60 days and I can now enter new appointments.

The calendar was imported from an outlook PST file using 'LibPST' so my guess is that there was some entry in there that caused problems. However it is not clear why it worked from around the 20th January until around the 20th March when the error above appeared.

I will update this thread if the problem reappears (hope not !) if not this may be a cure for others that have a similar problem.

John Murrell


On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 14:21 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 14:23 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 11:55 +0100, John Murrell wrote:
Exporting to a vCard sounds like the way to go 
but I don't think I can delete my contacts as this is greyed out.

	Hi,
I didn't mean to delete the address book, I meant to delete only the
contacts in it (aka select the book, then click on one of the contacts,
then in menu Edit->Select All, followed by Edit->Delete Contact). You
can also create a new local address book and try to import your
modified contacts there first, to verify the imported bits will look
properly.

I exported my contacts to a VCard file and then deleted all my contacts
as suggested - select all then delete. I tried to create a new
appointment but still get the Invalid Object error even with no
contacts.

I then cleaned the VCF file using a text editor to delete all the BDAYS
* Anniversary dated 9999 and reloaded it and I still get the same
error. The file looks clean now with no 1/1/9999 dates.

I have tried with and without 'Birthdays & Anniversary selected and it
makes no difference - Birthdays no longer show if the box is ticked or
not unlike last night when I could turn them on & off using the tick
box. The only way to get the Birthdays to show is to re-enable the 
'Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties On this Computer - Personal 
there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar.'

See below for my 'cure' last night that has now failed again.




If it is related to time zones could it have been triggered by the US
Summer time change even though I am in the UK ? (UK have not changed
to Summer Time Yet)

I guess (and hope) not. The code I've been referring to is not called
during the calendar open, thus it should not influence the open
behavior.

FYI - not sure if it a 'bug' but in the contacts list view the year
'9999' shows as '99' so could be confused with 1999

That is derived from your locale. You can change the format in
Edit->Preferences->Contacts->Date/Time format, at the very top of the
General tab.

I suspect there is a bit of a hole in the software as normally it
does not allow you to enter a date in the future for Birthdays - not
sure about anniversaries ?

There is a difference between content validation when user edits the
contact in the GUI and between contact import. The check on edit tries
to avoid user mistakes. The import expects valid data.


I mentioned in an earlier message that I had solved the problem by
'I have stumbled on a cure In Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties 
On this Computer - Personal there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & 
Anniversaries calendar.'

This worked ok last night but by this morning the error had returned.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list