Feature

Majed Zouhairy
3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Peace,
i would be nice to have a time range applied to filters because when i
open my mail in the morning, i have to wait some 10 mins for all the
mail to get filtered by folders and the sounds playing... to get around
this, i either have to open evolution at home, where on cinnamon  sound
filters are not working.. or just install thunderbird, open it, wait
for the quick sorting ...

Re: Feature

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 09:09 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:
> 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
>
> Peace,
> i would be nice to have a time range applied to filters because when
> i open my mail in the morning, i have to wait some 10 mins for all
> the mail to get filtered by folders and the sounds playing...

        Hi,
there had been done a change in evolution-data-server for 3.29.4, thus
3.30.0, which speeds up filtering in Evolution, especially in cases
when there are moved several messages into a single folder.

> to get around this, i either have to open evolution at home, where on
> cinnamon  sound filters are not working..

You can set how you are notified about new mails in Edit->Plugins->Mail
Notification->Configuration tab.

I'm not sure whether your claim is about sound or about speed of the
filters. I hope I answered both above.

By the way, the current stable version is 3.36.0.

Re: Feature

Majed Zouhairy

yeah, you remind me about the song of the twins: i think after 9 months there is life outside the womb, while you: what are you claiming? you are crazy, our life is short dark and full of suffering and ends in here...

anyway, i spent more than a day trying to install evolution from source and miserably failed...meanwhile i configured thunderbird..and what do you know? message sorting,there, takes less than three seconds, and i can select an option to always use high contrast colors, unlike evolution which adapts the system and senders colors...

so my problem is resolved and the suffering is over a while after ;)

On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:21 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:
> yeah, you remind me about the song of the twins: i think after 9
> months there is life outside the womb, while you: what are you
> claiming? you are crazy, our life is short dark and full of suffering
> and ends in here...

Ehm, I never said anything like that. I do not know how you could get
that out of my previous response.

> anyway, i spent more than a day trying to install evolution from
> source and miserably failed...

Right, it's not easy, that's why I did not suggest it. You could choose
some alternative way. Like, if not possible to update your distribution
to some recent (or even change it to one which ships up to date
software to their users), you can, usually, try things like Flatpak
(the Evolution provided by flathub.org is pretty recent).

> .... message sorting,there, takes less than three seconds,

Hmm, I'm confused, is it about message list sorting or filtering of the
incoming messages? The two terms are different for me. You also seem to
compare Thunderbird 68.4.1, thus a recent one, with almost 2 years old
Evolution. Apples and oranges, especially when I told you there landed
improvements in the meanwhile.

> and i can select an option to always use high contrast colors, unlike
> evolution which adapts the system and senders colors...

I see. Evolution can do it too, in some extent, though some options are
hidden, not in the GUI.

By the way, your message is black background with green text color.
Maybe it works for you, but it looks awkward here [1]. Personal
preference should stay personal preference. Maybe you should reconsider
sending HTML mails, or to force all the recipients read with _your_
preferred colors. Just saying.

> so my problem is resolved and the suffering is over a while after

Sure, that's okay. This is the advantage of the Open Source. You've a
freedom of choice. If one software doesn't work for you you can always
pick an alternative to it. I'm happy you found the right solution for
you. Pity it was not Evolution. :)

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-March/msg00099.html

Re: Feature

On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:21 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:
> yeah, you remind me about the song of the twins: i think after 9
> months there is life outside the womb, while you: what are you
> claiming? you are crazy, our life is short dark and full of suffering
> and ends in here...

I have no idea what you are talking about. Or how that's helpful.

> anyway, i spent more than a day trying to install evolution from
> source and miserably failed...

Then use a package provided by your distribution.

> meanwhile i configured thunderbird..and what do you know? message
> sorting,there, takes less than three seconds, and i can select an
> option to always use high contrast colors, unlike evolution which
> adapts the system and senders colors...

Happy for you that you found a solution to some unclear problem that
was not well explained. For the future, please consider writing
messages that are readable (means: not green on black).

Re: Feature

Majed Zouhairy

On 3/18/20 11:34 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:21 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:
yeah, you remind me about the song of the twins: i think after 9
months there is life outside the womb, while you: what are you
claiming? you are crazy, our life is short dark and full of suffering
and ends in here...
>I have no idea what you are talking about. Or how that's helpful.

and you expect me to believe you?
anyway, i spent more than a day trying to install evolution from
source and miserably failed...
>Then use a package provided by your distribution.
dahh

meanwhile i configured thunderbird..and what do you know? message
sorting,there, takes less than three seconds, and i can select an
option to always use high contrast colors, unlike evolution which
adapts the system and senders colors...
>Happy for you that you found a solution to some unclear problem that
was not well explained. For the future, please consider writing
messages that are readable (means: not green on black).

yeah and i hate it very much to stare at blue light emitting lcd with a blinding white color,

there is a saying in Russian: there is no master on color and taste.. but who can argue that green is not the most soothing color?

otherwise nature would have been black or whatever satanists desire :|

--
>Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
>https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Feature

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 11:57 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:

> On 3/18/20 11:34 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:21 +0300, Majed Zouhairy wrote:
> > > yeah, you remind me about the song of the twins: i think after 9
> > > months there is life outside the womb, while you: what are you
> > > claiming? you are crazy, our life is short dark and full of suffering
> > > and ends in here...
> > > I have no idea what you are talking about. Or how that's helpful.
> and you expect me to believe you?
> > > anyway, i spent more than a day trying to install evolution from
> > > source and miserably failed...
> > > Then use a package provided by your distribution.
> dahh
> > > meanwhile i configured thunderbird..and what do you know? message
> > > sorting,there, takes less than three seconds, and i can select an
> > > option to always use high contrast colors, unlike evolution which
> > > adapts the system and senders colors...
> > > Happy for you that you found a solution to some unclear problem that
> > was not well explained. For the future, please consider writing
> > messages that are readable (means: not green on black).
>
> yeah and i hate it very much to stare at blue light emitting lcd with a
> blinding white color,
>
> there is a saying in Russian: there is no master on color and taste..
> but who can argue that green is not the most soothing color?
>
> otherwise nature would have been black or whatever satanists desire :|

This is ridiculous. I don't even see your HTML mail (which you
shouldn't be posting to the list anyway), but I note you aren't even
subscribed to this list so kindly moderate your tone or future posts
will be banned.