Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Greetings,

I subscribe to some high-volume mailing lists.  To avoid having all
mail dumped into my inbox, I defined filter rules to sort incoming mail
that belonged to certain mailing lists.

Now that these rules are in effect, some mail is being automatically
sent to trash.  I can see this because a new, unread message will
appear in my trash folder every now and then.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Jason Franklin

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Adam Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 16:36 -0400, Jason Franklin via evolution-list
wrote:
> Greetings,
> I subscribe to some high-volume mailing lists.  To avoid having all
> mail dumped into my inbox, I defined filter rules to sort incoming
> mail
> that belonged to certain mailing lists.
> Now that these rules are in effect, some mail is being automatically
> sent to trash.  I can see this because a new, unread message will
> appear in my trash folder every now and then.
> Has anyone experienced this problem?

No, unless the rule is to delete messages or move messages to Trash.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Adam,

> No, unless the rule is to delete messages or move messages to Trash.

The issue is consistency.  For example, I'm on the vim-dev mailing
list.  Some new messages from this list end up in my trash bin.  Some
don't.  I've reviewed the list of rules several times.  None of my
filters delete anything.

-- JF

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Zan Lynx
On 5/8/19 2:45 PM, Jason Franklin via evolution-list wrote:
> The issue is consistency.  For example, I'm on the vim-dev mailing
> list.  Some new messages from this list end up in my trash bin.  Some
> don't.  I've reviewed the list of rules several times.  None of my
> filters delete anything.

If it is IMAP and you have another client open it could be doing this.
Either it is also running filter rules or your cat is stepping on the
Delete key.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 16:45 -0400, Jason Franklin via evolution-list
wrote:
> Adam,
>
> > No, unless the rule is to delete messages or move messages to Trash.
>
> The issue is consistency.  For example, I'm on the vim-dev mailing
> list.  Some new messages from this list end up in my trash bin.  Some
> don't.  I've reviewed the list of rules several times.  None of my
> filters delete anything.

Try logging your filter actions. Start Evolution from the command line
with:

CAMEL_DEBUG=filters evolution > LOG-FILE 2>&1 &

and let it run for a while, then quit and take a look at the log.

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 23:37 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Try logging your filter actions. Start Evolution from the command line
> with:
>
> CAMEL_DEBUG=filters evolution > LOG-FILE 2>&1 &
>
> and let it run for a while, then quit and take a look at the log.

There is also another option to log filters, which might be less heavy:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html

Re: Filter rules automatically sending mail to trash

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 17:32 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 23:37 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Try logging your filter actions. Start Evolution from the command line
> > with:
> >
> > CAMEL_DEBUG=filters evolution > LOG-FILE 2>&1 &
> >
> > and let it run for a while, then quit and take a look at the log.
>
> There is also another option to log filters, which might be less heavy:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html

Less heavy in what sense?