Flatpack in source repository

Ian Willis
Hi All,

I started reviewing the code and noticed the inclusion of a flatpack directory. Should packaging information such as rpms, debs etc also be included into the source repository as patches? Is there any documentation which packaging formats should be included in source and which ones are excluded, it seems odd to have just one. Or are flatpacks somehow different?

Kind Regards

Re: Flatpack in source repository

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 09:56 +1000, Ian Willis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I started reviewing the code and noticed the inclusion of a flatpack
> directory. Should packaging information such as rpms, debs etc also be
> included into the source repository as patches? Is there any
> documentation which packaging formats should be included in source and
> which ones are excluded, it seems odd to have just one. Or are
> flatpacks somehow different?

There are many packaging formats and packaging decisions are up to the
various distro maintainers, not to the Evo developers.

Flatpaks (sic) are different. A flatpak is a self-supported container
which includes everything needed to run Evo, so the same flatpak will
run on any Linux distro without modification. The downside is that it
will run in an isolated sandbox, so is mostly independent of the
underlying desktop environment.

Re: Flatpack in source repository

On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 09:56 +1000, Ian Willis wrote:
> I started reviewing the code and noticed the inclusion of a flatpack
> directory. Should packaging information such as rpms, debs etc also
> be included into the source repository as patches? Is there any
> documentation which packaging formats should be included in source
> and which ones are excluded, it seems odd to have just one. Or are
> flatpacks somehow different?

        Hi,
to add to Patrick's response, the Flatpak manifests are there basically
to easily support
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak

It's not there to open the gate for everything else. Aka yes, Flatpak
is somehow different here.

Re: Flatpack in source repository

Ian-3
I see,

so its an animal farm thing ;-)
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

Kind Regards

Re: Flatpack in source repository

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 18:08 +1000, Ian wrote:
> I see,
>
> so its an animal farm thing ;-)
> All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

Not really. More like: One animal is able to use all barns, while all
other animals each need their own specific barn.