Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I've created a Gmail account that is used solely for sending me updates
from various Python programs that I've written. Unfortunately, the
Python module I'm using (yagmail) doesn't seem to have an option to
send emails as plain text. I've also tried to find a setting on the
Gmail website to default all sent mail as plain text, but this doesn't
exist.

While I'm in contact with the author of yagmail on getting this
resolved, is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Matt Connell
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 18:14 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:
> is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?

If you right click in the body of an HTML message, you should have an
option to view plain text version.  This is assuming that the messages
generated have a plaintext version and are not HTML only.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 13:28 -0500, Matt Connell wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 18:14 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> > as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?
>
> If you right click in the body of an HTML message, you should have an
> option to view plain text version.  This is assuming that the
> messages
> generated have a plaintext version and are not HTML only.
>
Hmmm...I've tried about 30 different emails, both sent and received,
and that option never comes up. I'm using v3.38, by the way.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Matt Connell
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 18:42 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:
> Hmmm...I've tried about 30 different emails, both sent and received,
> and that option never comes up. I'm using v3.38, by the way.

Pretty sure it only shows when an email has both parts.  A message can
be HTML, plain, or both.

Attached is what it looks like on 3.36.5, on a message that has both
parts.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Screenshot_2020-10-01_13-55-48.png (17K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 13:58 -0500, Matt Connell wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 18:42 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Hmmm...I've tried about 30 different emails, both sent and
> > received,
> > and that option never comes up. I'm using v3.38, by the way.
>
> Pretty sure it only shows when an email has both parts.  A message
> can
> be HTML, plain, or both.
>
> Attached is what it looks like on 3.36.5, on a message that has both
> parts.
>
OK, thanks for that.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 20:14 +0200, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:
> is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?

        Hi,
you cannot do it per sender (as the thread subject says), you can do it
only globally, in Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages->
Plain Text Mode.

The 3.40 will have an improvement for HTML-only mails:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/353

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 07:46 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 20:14 +0200, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> > as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?
>
> Hi,
> you cannot do it per sender (as the thread subject says), you can do it
> only globally, in Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages->
> Plain Text Mode.
>
In Contacts, each recipient entry has a checkbox called "Wants to receive
HTML mail".
Unchecking it I'm guessing would send only plain text mails to that
particular user.

--

Sorin Srbu, Serverdrift
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek
Avdelningen för Verksamhetsstöd
Enheten för Teknikstöd och Bildproduktion

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 08:35 +0200, Sorin Srbu via evolution-list wrote:
> In Contacts, each recipient entry has a checkbox called "Wants to
> receive
> HTML mail".
> Unchecking it I'm guessing would send only plain text mails to that
> particular user.

        Hi,
unfortunately not, there's always sent only one message, not multiple
message versions depending on respective user preference. The option is
used to ask what to do when the message is/is-not in expected format.

Weird, I do not see it being used in the composer code right now,
though I'm pretty sure it did ask for confirmation in the past.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 08:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

>
> > In Contacts, each recipient entry has a checkbox called "Wants to
> > receive
> > HTML mail".
> > Unchecking it I'm guessing would send only plain text mails to that
> > particular user.
>
> Hi,
> unfortunately not, there's always sent only one message, not multiple
> message versions depending on respective user preference. The option is
> used to ask what to do when the message is/is-not in expected format.
>
> Weird, I do not see it being used in the composer code right now,
> though I'm pretty sure it did ask for confirmation in the past.
> Bye,
> Milan
Aha, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

--

Sorin Srbu, Serverdrift
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek
Avdelningen för Verksamhetsstöd
Enheten för Teknikstöd och Bildproduktion

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 07:46 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 20:14 +0200, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> > as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?
>
>         Hi,
> you cannot do it per sender (as the thread subject says), you can do
> it
> only globally, in Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages-
> >
> Plain Text Mode.

I don't have this option (v3.38).
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Force emails for certain senders to view as plain text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 14:40 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 07:46 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 20:14 +0200, Douglas Summers via evolution-
> > list
> > wrote:
> > > is there any way for Evolution to allow me to view an email
> > > as plain text, no matter what format it was written in?
> >
> >         Hi,
> > you cannot do it per sender (as the thread subject says), you can
> > do
> > it
> > only globally, in Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML
> > Messages-
> > >
> > Plain Text Mode.
>
> I don't have this option (v3.38).

Today's flatpak update gave me this option. I can also right-click on
display messages in plain-text; again, wasn't available until today's
update.

Thanks to all that offered help.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list