Global Address List Empty

Louis Becker
Hi

I am using Evolution 3.18.5.2 in Ubuntu 16.06 connected to Exchange
2010 via EWS. When I create a new e-mail, auto-completion works in the
To: field. But in Contacts, the Global Address List is empty. It just
shows the message, "There is no items to show in this view". How can I
get the company contacts to show in the list?

Thanks
Louis

Re: Global Address List Empty

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 12:35 +0000, Louis Becker wrote:
> I am using Evolution 3.18.5.2 in Ubuntu 16.06 connected to Exchange
> 2010 via EWS. When I create a new e-mail, auto-completion works in the
> To: field. But in Contacts, the Global Address List is empty. It just
> shows the message, "There is no items to show in this view". How can I
> get the company contacts to show in the list?

        Hi,
it's because the online GAL requires search, and supports only "Email
begins with", not the default "Name contains" search type (click the
magnifier icon on the left of the Search entry to get the list of
supported search types).

In case you'd like to browse the GAL without searching, and also to get
more details for the contacts, use the offline GAL, for which an option
in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts-><EWS account>->Edit->Receiving
Options tab can be found. It only works when the OAB (Offline Address
Book) URL is provided in the Receiving Email tab. You should pick which
addressbook you want to use (there is usually only one, but some
companies provide multiple GAL-s), then restart the evolution-
addressbook-factory process, thus the EWS book re-does the content.

Re: Global Address List Empty

Louis Becker
Dear Milan

Thank you very much.

If I follow your instructions for the offline address book and click on
"Fetch List" button, I get a new password request for the <EWS
account>. Although I put in the correct username and password the
password request just keeps on popping up again and again. Consequently
I am not able to select a list. Any idea why?

Louis

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 07:28 +0000, Louis Becker wrote:
> If I follow your instructions for the offline address book and click
> on "Fetch List" button, I get a new password request for the <EWS
> account>. Although I put in the correct username and password the
> password request just keeps on popping up again and again.
> Consequently I am not able to select a list. Any idea why?

        Hi,
it can be that the OAB URL is not correct. I do not recall whether
there had been any issue in 3.18.x of the evolution-ews, I only know
that the OAB URL should end with "/oab.xml" (quotes for clarity only),
which was an issue in the past, but hard to tell whether it's already
fixed in 3.18.x or not. The URL usually looks like:

   https://exchange.example.com/OAB/<UUID>/oab.xml

Another option can be that the OAB requires NTLM Authentication type,
but you've set a different one.

You can run evolution from a terminal as:

   $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution

and see the raw communication between the server and the client. You'll
see where the evolution tries to connect and eventually more details
error as returned by the server. As this debugging will show also the
mail updates and such, just wait until the activity on the console
stops and then press the "Fetch List" button, thus you'll not have the
debugging output interleaving.