Gnome Evolution Archive function

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Could someone please help document Archive in Evolution? Searching The Docs turned up nothing. The setup in preferences is a bit confusing:
Screenshot from 2019-04-24 10-57-35.png

"On This Computer" and at my email address seem to conflict. Is there a way to archive to a local folder on my computer?

Finally, even with things set up this way... nothing seems to happen if I set up a mail folder to archive messages > 3 days old. Messages older than 3 days just keep smiling up at me from said folder.

Thanks in advance!

Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

Re: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Pete Biggs

Please, could you always say which version of Evolution you are using -
things like this do change over time.  It would also be helpful in this
case that we knew what sort of account you are using.

> "On This Computer" and at my email address seem to conflict. Is there
> a way to archive to a local folder on my computer?

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences is where you set the default
archive folder for the "On This Computer" folders.  You can set the
folder to be anything you want (by clicking in the grey box and
selecting another folder).

For other accounts you can set the archive folder by going Edit ->
Preferences -> Mail Accounts -> select account -> Edit -> Defaults

You can also set the archive folder on a per folder basis.

> Finally, even with things set up this way... nothing seems to happen
> if I set up a mail folder to archive messages > 3 days old. Messages
> older than 3 days just keep smiling up at me from said folder.

Make sure the archive folder is set up in all the correct places for
the type of account.

Fwd: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

When I go to Preferences->Mail Preferences->Archive Mail, I only see folders under mail accounts. (same for defaults for any given email account, btw.)

I was hoping I could archive to my local machine instead of to a folder in my email account. That would drag the messages being archived out of email and put them on disk locally only. I'm guessing that's not possible, then?

You're right: after setting the default folder for the mail account, it archived my test folder immediately. Thanks for clearing that up.

Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM Pete Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please, could you always say which version of Evolution you are using -
things like this do change over time.  It would also be helpful in this
case that we knew what sort of account you are using.

> "On This Computer" and at my email address seem to conflict. Is there
> a way to archive to a local folder on my computer?

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences is where you set the default
archive folder for the "On This Computer" folders.  You can set the
folder to be anything you want (by clicking in the grey box and
selecting another folder).

For other accounts you can set the archive folder by going Edit ->
Preferences -> Mail Accounts -> select account -> Edit -> Defaults

You can also set the archive folder on a per folder basis.

> Finally, even with things set up this way... nothing seems to happen
> if I set up a mail folder to archive messages > 3 days old. Messages
> older than 3 days just keep smiling up at me from said folder.

Make sure the archive folder is set up in all the correct places for
the type of account.

Re: Fwd: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Pete Biggs

> Sorry, how incomplete of me:
> 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Things change, bugs get fixed. Archiving is relatively knew so it's
evolving. Version is important.

> When I go to Preferences->Mail Preferences->Archive Mail, I only see
> folders under mail accounts. (same for defaults for any given email
> account, btw.)

Is the "On This Computer" enabled in the account list?

> I was hoping I could archive to my local machine instead of to a
> folder in my email account. That would drag the messages being
> archived out of email and put them on disk locally only. I'm guessing
> that's not possible, then?

Of course it's possible.  If enabling the local storage doesn't work -
or even if it does - then you could create an account of type "Maildir-
format mail directories" or "Standard unix mbox mail spool directory"
(for performance I would suggest Maildir format, but it's up to you)
and point it at a (empty) directory on your local machine and archive
all your mail to that account - then you know where it is, it's outside
the folders managed by Evolution so is transportable, and is in a known
standard format.

On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 11:00 -0400, Frank B via evolution-list wrote:
> Could someone please help document Archive in Evolution? Searching
> The Docs turned up nothing.

Archiving is covered on the "Mail folder locations" page in the user
documentation, which can be reached via "Account Management" and then
choosing your mail account type.

Re: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
OK; fair enough -- there is some information there. But it's pretty sparse and does not talk about local directory storage at all. The worst part (for me) was that a search for the word 'archive' turned up nothing whatsoever. Therefore, until you kindly helped me navigate the tendrils of the documentation -- and I assure you I tried on my own -- I wasn't able to find this.

So in my case, I went: Account Management -> Microsoft Exchange account settings -> Exchange MAPI account settings -> Mail folder locations. Here is the sum total of information about Archives on that page:

"You can define an Archive Folder, for example to move older messages there. Selecting Message ▸ Archive in the main window moves the selected message to the specified folder."

I hope that I have presented this in a factual way; I am most assuredly not trying to be antagonistic or argumentative.
Frank Bicknell
about.me/fbicknel

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 1:48 PM Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 11:00 -0400, Frank B via evolution-list wrote:
> Could someone please help document Archive in Evolution? Searching
> The Docs turned up nothing.

Archiving is covered on the "Mail folder locations" page in the user
documentation, which can be reached via "Account Management" and then
choosing your mail account type.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Gnome Evolution Archive function

Andre Klapper
[Please avoid top-posting. I had no idea what you are referring to
until I scrolled down and started reading from the bottom.]

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 10:39 -0400, Frank B wrote:
> So in my case, I went: Account Management -> Microsoft Exchange
> account settings -> Exchange MAPI account settings -> Mail folder
> locations. Here is the sum total of information about Archives on
> that page:
>
> > "You can define an Archive Folder, for example to move older
> > messages there. Selecting Message ▸ Archive in the main window
> > moves the selected message to the specified folder."

I agree that the info in your old version is not sufficient; that's why
there is more information in the most recent version 3.32:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/commit/ffb921208df705e75e65b874f9fcb665c48e8a41

If you spot unclear parts in the user docs, bug reports are welcome and
patches are even more welcome - https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers

Thanks!