Got one account sort-of working

Van Snyder
I deleted the accounts that don't work and re-created them.

One of them now sort-of works. I can send and receive mail. But... it
has both a "Deleted Items" and "Trash" folders. Neither offers to "Empty
Trash." Even though I've deleted messages, neither folder has anything
in it.

The other two accounts still don't work. Instead of "I/O socket timed
out," now the message is "Error performing TLS handshake: Internal error
in memory allocation.".

Recreating the server settings resulted in about 60 "On This Computer"
folders the next time I started Evolution, with names ending
.ibex.index. What are these, and where did they come from? Can I delete
them safely? The folders with familiar names appear to have had all
their messages converted to folders. The contents display as junk.

All using 3.28.5 (3.28.5-8.el7) on Scientific Linux 7.10 (essentially
the same as CentOS 7.10).

Re: Got one account sort-of working

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 13:18 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I deleted the accounts that don't work and re-created them.

Please reply to your previous message instead of starting a new
(detached) thread, so the context is clearer.

> The other two accounts still don't work. Instead of "I/O socket timed
> out," now the message is "Error performing TLS handshake: Internal error
> in memory allocation.".

See my previous reply to you in a previous thread that you started.

On 5/25/20 1:37 PM, Andre Klapper wrote:

> Please reply to your previous message instead of starting a new
> (detached) thread, so the context is clearer.

I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems, so I
must apologize for not having memorized the subject line.

>> The other two accounts still don't work. Instead of "I/O socket timed
>> out," now the message is "Error performing TLS handshake: Internal error
>> in memory allocation.".
> See my previous reply to you in a previous thread that you started.

I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems. If I
remember the referenced message, it had two http links that led to pages
wherein several users complained of the same problem I was having, but
no solutions were offered.

Maybe I misremember.

Is there a way to delete all of evolution's configuration files and
start over?

I got the current problems because a disk drive died. I had been running
Scientific Linux 6.9 on a 32-bit system. I got a new disk drive and a
new computer. I installed SL 7.10 (because CentOS 8.1 doesn't have KDE),
and restored my account from a backup. Maybe settings from the antique
Evolution in SL 6.9 have confused the newer Evolution. I noticed that
the names of some of the files in .config/evolution/sources have
"@VanCE5" in their names. That's a hold-over from several years ago,
when I was using CentOS 5.

I'm currently using Thunderbird, but I really dislike it. I also have
thousands of messages in Evolution archives, both on my home computer
and my work computer. I have no idea whether I can access those messages
in Thunderbird. If I can get Evolution working correctly, I won't have
to worry about that.

Re: Got one account sort-of working

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 14:34 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> > Please reply to your previous message instead of starting a new
> > (detached) thread, so the context is clearer.
>

> I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems, so I
>
> must apologize for not having memorized the subject line.

Memorising the Subject line would be pointless. Replying within the
thread can only be done if you have kept at least one of the thread's
messages. You can't fake it. I suggest you hang onto threads you
initiated yourself at least until they reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Re: Got one account sort-of working

On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 14:34 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> On 5/25/20 1:37 PM, Andre Klapper wrote:
>
> > Please reply to your previous message instead of starting a new
> > (detached) thread, so the context is clearer.
>
> I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems, so I
> must apologize for not having memorized the subject line.

Far be it from me to tell you how to do things, but often finding
solutions to problems is an iterative process: i.e. someone makes a
suggestion as to what might solve your problem, if it works, you reply
"thank you, that worked" so that other people can find it if they
search for the problem; alternatively you may reply "thank you for your
reply, but I'm afraid I'm still having problems, do you have any
further suggestions?", at that point they may have other suggestions,
or someone else might come up with a solution.  Once someone has
answered your question on the list, unless it's glaringly obviously
wrong, no one else will probably answer.  If the first answer doesn't
work, then it is likely that someone will suggest doing some debugging
to provide more information.

Just deleting and forgetting about an email that doesn't provide you
with a completely correct answer seems to be a short-sighted way of
solving your problem.

> > > The other two accounts still don't work. Instead of "I/O socket timed
> > > out," now the message is "Error performing TLS handshake: Internal error
> > > in memory allocation.".
> > See my previous reply to you in a previous thread that you started.
>
> I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems. If I
> remember the referenced message, it had two http links that led to pages
> wherein several users complained of the same problem I was having, but
> no solutions were offered.

It told you what the issue is - i.e. that it's a bug in the GnuTLS
library.

> Is there a way to delete all of evolution's configuration files and
> start over?

The location of the configuration files for your version of Evolution
is in the Help. But if the issue is with an OS library it won't do any
good.  You could try downgrading the gnutls package if an update isn't
available - however it may cause problems if other packages use that
library.

If you do want to remove the config files, then I suggest you rename
their folders instead of deleting so you can put them back if
necessary.

> I got the current problems because a disk drive died. I had been running
> Scientific Linux 6.9 on a 32-bit system. I got a new disk drive and a
> new computer. I installed SL 7.10 (because CentOS 8.1 doesn't have KDE),

Off topic for this list, but KDE is available in EPEL for CentOS 8.1,
you install it as "plasma-desktop".

On Tue, 26 May 2020 23:46:09 +0100 Pete Biggs wrote:

> It told you what the issue is - i.e. that it's a bug in the GnuTLS
> library.

(This is about imap with TLS on 993 not working with sbcglobal.net,
which is provided by yahoo.com. The error message is “Error performing
TLS handshake: Internal error in memory allocation.”.).

I have a non-yahoo account that receives using TLS on 993 and sends
using STARTTLS on 587, and it works. Do different accounts use different
versions of gnutls?

I did "ldd /bin/evolution | grep tls" and there was no output.

BTW, I did "ldd /usr/bin/thunderbird" and it said "not a dynamic
executable".

It's too bad evolution can't be statically linked. I really prefer
evolution to thunderbird.

Re: Got one account sort-of working

On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 14:34 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I don't keep messages that don't lead to solutions to my problems. If I
> remember the referenced message, it had two http links that led to pages
> wherein several users complained of the same problem I was having, but
> no solutions were offered.

That's an interesting variation of "The dog ate my homework" and "Can't
remember, must have been drunk". Usually does not work in court though.

Re: Got one account sort-of working

Ángel González
On 2020-05-26 at 17:46 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2020 23:46:09 +0100 Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > It told you what the issue is - i.e. that it's a bug in the GnuTLS
> > library.
>

> (This is about imap with TLS on 993 not working with sbcglobal.net,
> which is provided by yahoo.com. The error message is “Error performing
> TLS handshake: Internal error in memory allocation.”.).
>
> I have a non-yahoo account that receives using TLS on 993 and sends
> using STARTTLS on 587, and it works. Do different accounts use different
> versions of gnutls?

No. The problem were zero-length TLS tickets. It didn't affect
connections not using those. It was a server-side change what triggered
it. That's why only yahoo accounts were failing.

> I did "ldd /bin/evolution | grep tls" and there was no output.
>
> BTW, I did "ldd /usr/bin/thunderbird" and it said "not a dynamic
> executable".

That's because that will be a shell script calling the real
executable. :-)

> It's too bad evolution can't be statically linked. I really prefer
> evolution to thunderbird.

It wouldn't have helped too much. The bug has been there for years
(since version 3.0.0, probably). So unless you were linked to a really
old GnuTLS version, a statically linked evolution wouldn't have been
free of this bug. Even worse, it would have required to recompile the
whole evolution, rather than just updating the GnuTLS library and have
that fix all the programs in your computer [that use GnuTLS].

On that first link "with people complaining" that André shared, you
could see how it is near resolution by now
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/1876286
( pending that Ubuntu updates their packages, with the update from
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/997 )

For Scientific Linux, they will need to update GnuTLS or backport the
same patch. You should approach your distribution for that.
The investigation and work already done on those links should make it quite straightforward for them to fix it, though, as opposed to having to track it down.

Regards