Group by threads?

Bjørn T Johansen
I use this feature on my imap account but I don't want this threading for my Sent folder, it makes it difficult to find emails.
Is it any way to accomplish this in Evolution, threading on all folders except for the Sent folder?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen

Re: Group by threads?

Pete Biggs
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:08 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> I use this feature on my imap account but I don't want this threading for my Sent folder, it makes it difficult to find emails.
> Is it any way to accomplish this in Evolution, threading on all folders except for the Sent folder?

Ctrl-T in the folder will turn off threading for that folder.

Re: Group by threads?

Bjørn T Johansen
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 13:27 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:08 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > I use this feature on my imap account but I don't want this threading for my Sent folder, it makes it difficult to find emails.
> > Is it any way to accomplish this in Evolution, threading on all folders except for the Sent folder?
> >

> Ctrl-T in the folder will turn off threading for that folder.
>
> P.

Yes, I know but it's easier if that folder was just excluded (as it turns off threading for all the folders). But coming from Claws Mail I guess I am
just too well accustomed... :-)

BTJ

Re: Group by threads?

Pete Biggs
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:34 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 13:27 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:08 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > > I use this feature on my imap account but I don't want this threading for my Sent folder, it makes it difficult to find emails.
> > > Is it any way to accomplish this in Evolution, threading on all folders except for the Sent folder?
> > >

> > Ctrl-T in the folder will turn off threading for that folder.
> >
> > P.
> >

> Yes, I know but it's easier if that folder was just excluded (as it
> turns off threading for all the folders).

No it doesn't. My sent folder is unthreaded, my Inbox is threaded. You
just need to visit it once - or even while you are looking at it and do
Ctrl-T and it should only affect that folder. (Although something in
the back of my brain is nagging me that it might have something to do
with folder views - try switching to 'custom view' for your folders.)

> But coming from Claws Mail I guess I am
> just too well accustomed... :-)

If you come from another mail client, then you will always be comparing
them. The fact that things are different does not mean that they are
worse, or even impossible.

Re: Group by threads?

Bjørn T Johansen
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 13:52 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:34 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > > >

> > > Ctrl-T in the folder will turn off threading for that folder.
> > >
> > > P.
> > >

> > Yes, I know but it's easier if that folder was just excluded (as it
> > turns off threading for all the folders).
>
> No it doesn't. My sent folder is unthreaded, my Inbox is threaded. You
> just need to visit it once - or even while you are looking at it and do
> Ctrl-T and it should only affect that folder. (Although something in
> the back of my brain is nagging me that it might have something to do
> with folder views - try switching to 'custom view' for your folders.)
It does for me, pressing Ctrl-T changes the threading for all my folders. And under View - Current View, the selection is Custom View.

> > But coming from Claws Mail I guess I am
> > just too well accustomed... :-)
> >

> If you come from another mail client, then you will always be comparing
> them. The fact that things are different does not mean that they are
> worse, or even impossible.

Yes, I know. But the fact is also that something is just more efficient using CM, like keyboard movements and focusing when entering a folder.
But Evolution have other strengths that has made me change to Evolution. :-)

BTJ

Re: Group by threads?

Bjørn T Johansen
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 15:03 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 13:52 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > > Yes, I know but it's easier if that folder was just excluded (as it
> > > turns off threading for all the folders).
> >
> > No it doesn't. My sent folder is unthreaded, my Inbox is threaded. You
> > just need to visit it once - or even while you are looking at it and do
> > Ctrl-T and it should only affect that folder. (Although something in
> > the back of my brain is nagging me that it might have something to do
> > with folder views - try switching to 'custom view' for your folders.)
>
> It does for me, pressing Ctrl-T changes the threading for all my folders. And under View - Current View, the selection is Custom View.
Found the problem. I had the setting "Apply the same view settings for all folder" enabled.
But when I disable this, I seem to need to change the view for all my folders to the view I like, one by one. Or is there another way?

BTJ

Re: Group by threads?

Pete Biggs

> Found the problem. I had the setting "Apply the same view settings
> for all folder" enabled.
> But when I disable this, I seem to need to change the view for all my
> folders to the view I like, one by one. Or is there another way?

It's a long time since I've done it, but I thought that when you switch
that off, the folders all retain the view that they had at that time.
But as I say, it's a long time  ....

Re: Group by threads?

On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 15:07 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > But when I disable this, I seem to need to change the view for all my>
folders to the view I like, one by one. Or is there another way?

        Hi,
just make the change in one folder, aka set it to be as you like, then
save it under one view, ideally Messages, because it's the one picked
by default, then select it in other folders. Once you make changes into
that view (and save it), then all folders having that view selected
will be shown the same way as you changed it.

You might not want to go through all folders, thus to make it easier
for you, go to
   ~/.config/evolution/mail/views/
and remove from there all custom_view*.xml and current_view*.xml files,
which will "reset" the views in respective folders to the default view,
which is (mostly) the Messages view (special folders like Sent have a
different default view).