HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hey there,

For accessibility purpose I'm using a system wide dark theme (Plata
black compact + dark theme checked).
I usually use plain text email, but sometimes HTML also.
I've a very
important HTML email conversation I have to print/backup.

When doing so... background is white and font is white also...
When using Postbox in WINE, it print out black background with white
font. Wich is not ideal at all.

I can bypass that in Evolution by faking an answer or transfert in text
mode, then print. But it compromise the printed header, which is not
desirable...

Temporarly switching for a bright theme does nothing. It's HTML coded
on mail source -white font when printing-.

This is an ask/ticket/bug report/feature request all in one.

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Julien.

Ubuntu Budgie 18.04
Evolution 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org)

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 04:19 +0200, U.vi via evolution-list wrote:
> I've a very important HTML email conversation I have to print/backup.

        Hi,
I do not know of the use case, but I dare to ask: would the backup of
the email, instead of some PDF, not be better? Unless you really need a
paper copy, the email itself contains much more information about the
data origin than the PDF file. It can be eventually harder to extract
the information from a standalone .mbox file, without proper tooling.

> Temporarly switching for a bright theme does nothing. It's HTML coded
> on mail source -white font when printing-.

Aha, it's very nice from the sender. Depending on how often you receive
such mails, maybe you can save the message, edit the style for
printing, then import the message and print it.

> Evolution 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org)

That version allows to disable colors in HTML mails, using theme colors
like in the Plain Text mode. As you've it in Flatpak, you should run a
terminal in the Evolution sandbox first:

   $ flatpak run ---command=sh org.gnome.Evolution

then change the setting:

   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail preview-unset-html-colors true

I do not know how much it influences print of the message, or if at all.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le mardi 07 avril 2020 à 09:47 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list a
écrit :

> On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 04:19 +0200, U.vi via evolution-list wrote:
> > I've a very important HTML email conversation I have to
> > print/backup.
>
> Hi,
> I do not know of the use case, but I dare to ask: would the backup of
> the email, instead of some PDF, not be better? Unless you really need
> a
> data origin than the PDF file. It can be eventually harder to extract
> the information from a standalone .mbox file, without proper tooling.
>

Well in general things begin with pdf/print, then if going further you
have to provide raw material. With visualy faked pdf you have no
chance.


> > Temporarly switching for a bright theme does nothing. It's HTML
> > coded
> > on mail source -white font when printing-.
>
> Aha, it's very nice from the sender. Depending on how often you
> receive
> such mails, maybe you can save the message, edit the style for
> printing, then import the message and print it.
>

Yes we can always tweak everything but definitly not a regular usage.
Lots of daily emails are prettyfied: commercials but also officials
that you can't cut trought. So nope.


> > Evolution 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org)
>
> That version allows to disable colors in HTML mails, using theme
> colors
> like in the Plain Text mode. As you've it in Flatpak, you should run
> a
> terminal in the Evolution sandbox first:
>
>    $ flatpak run ---command=sh org.gnome.Evolution
>
> then change the setting:
>
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail preview-unset-html-colors
> true
>
> I do not know how much it influences print of the message, or if at
> all.
>

It only affect inbox display. Nothing better when answer, transfer,
print/pdf.

It's pretty surprising and disappointing that such a tool like
Evolution doesn't fully handle black themes/accessibility.
I won't hit you but it really, really deserve an prioritary update and
I pray and cry for it!

Maybe there is a bug/request roadmap somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

> Bye,
> Milan
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le mardi 07 avril 2020 à 09:47 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list a
écrit :

> > Evolution 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org)
>
> That version allows to disable colors in HTML mails, using theme
> colors
> like in the Plain Text mode. As you've it in Flatpak, you should run
> a
> terminal in the Evolution sandbox first:
>
>    $ flatpak run ---command=sh org.gnome.Evolution
>
> then change the setting:
>
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail preview-unset-html-
> colors
> true
>
> I do not know how much it influences print of the message, or if at
> all.
>

In addition to just above : now inbox html are only using backgroung
color theme. So we have black font on black background.

Thanks a lot.

> Bye,
> Milan
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 13:33 +0200, U.vi wrote:
> It only affect inbox display. Nothing better when answer, transfer,
> print/pdf.

        Hi,
right, the option is for display. I do not know what you mean with
'transfer', is it like the 'Forward' function? The 'answer' might be
'Reply', right? Nonetheless, none of the three are handled by the
option.

You should understand that the sender has some intention to present the
content in certain way. That it makes it difficult to read for the
recipients is solely their fault, from my point of view. The mail
reader software can have workarounds to "correct" it, but they'll be
just workarounds of their fault. You bet that every sender uses his/her
own special formatting, which will break the workarounds easily.

Similarly, that the black color works fine for you doesn't mean that it
works fine for others. I just received a message with the text written
in magenta color, all being in italic. It was hard to read for me, but
it seems the sender likes this (for me weird) combination. I think, for
the same reason, that it's good idea to keep the original formatting in
reply/forward, to keep as much of the original information as possible,
not to force user preferences on top of original sender's preferences.
You can always switch to the Plain Text mode in the composer, to get
the formatting lost.

You can use Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages->Plain
Text Mode->Only ever show plain and check also to show suppressed parts
as attachments, thus you can easily reach them if needed. It depends
whether the sender sends an equivalent text plain version with their
fancy HTML content (some do not, for what it worth).

> It's pretty surprising and disappointing that such a tool like
> Evolution doesn't fully handle black themes/accessibility.

I'm sorry to say this, but even it might look simple to some people,
it's obviously a complex task when one knows something about HTML and
CSS. There are too many possibilities to handle.

> ...I pray and cry for it!
>
> Maybe there is a bug/request roadmap somewhere?

I'm not aware of other than the one I referenced earlier and that one
is considered fixed. There might be some similar, though, like to
forward/reply/print to what the user sees (you can switch between HTML
and Plain text parts in the view), but it's more about parts switching,
not about HTML modifications.

You can open a new bug, if you want to not get this forgotten.

By the way, having set black background for printing doesn't sound like
a good idea. That's an argument to *not* derive theme colors for
printing.

On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 19:08 +0200, U.vi wrote:
> In addition to just above : now inbox html are only using backgroung
> color theme. So we have black font on black background.

You see it, it's a complex task. The option worked for me when testing
on messages I had. Your massage may contain something "special". Having
a test message would help to narrow the issue down. Ideally attach one
such message to your bug report, if you'll create one. Make sure the
message will not contain any private information.

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: By the way, Reply to List (Ctrl+L) works better for me on this
mailing list.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le jeudi 07 mai 2020 à 08:55 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list a
écrit :

> On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 13:33 +0200, U.vi wrote:
> > It only affect inbox display. Nothing better when answer, transfer,
> > print/pdf.
>
> Hi,
> right, the option is for display. I do not know what you mean with
> 'transfer', is it like the 'Forward' function? The 'answer' might be
> 'Reply', right? Nonetheless, none of the three are handled by the
> option.
>
> You should understand that the sender has some intention to present
> the
> content in certain way. That it makes it difficult to read for the
> recipients is solely their fault, from my point of view. The mail
> reader software can have workarounds to "correct" it, but they'll be
> just workarounds of their fault. You bet that every sender uses
> his/her
> own special formatting, which will break the workarounds easily.
>
> Similarly, that the black color works fine for you doesn't mean that
> it
> works fine for others. I just received a message with the text
> written
> in magenta color, all being in italic. It was hard to read for me,
> but
> it seems the sender likes this (for me weird) combination. I think,
> for
> the same reason, that it's good idea to keep the original formatting
> in
> reply/forward, to keep as much of the original information as
> possible,
> not to force user preferences on top of original sender's
> preferences.
> You can always switch to the Plain Text mode in the composer, to get
> the formatting lost.

Thanks for your patience.

> You can use Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages->Plain
> Text Mode->Only ever show plain and check also to show suppressed
> parts
> as attachments, thus you can easily reach them if needed. It depends
> whether the sender sends an equivalent text plain version with their
> fancy HTML content (some do not, for what it worth).

This option doesn't exist here. I run 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org).
There is
very few options about HTML behavior but nothing about Plain Text
Mode... Checked also on various menu. It's french version.

> > It's pretty surprising and disappointing that such a tool like
> > Evolution doesn't fully handle black themes/accessibility.
>
> I'm sorry to say this, but even it might look simple to some people,
> it's obviously a complex task when one knows something about HTML and
> CSS. There are too many possibilities to handle.

Yes, I had a significant background on HTML/CSS but had to quit just
when HTML5 pop out, because brain damage. I totally figure out what you
say.

But you'r telling me that you cannot overide fancying with
conditionnal events about standardised background & font, wich sound
weird to me.

It would be great to have a button to break formating and
switch black <> white <> normal as sender, for inbox and edition
windows.
Because no need to wait to be disabled to have seeing issues nor italic
magenta trouble.
I'm not in anymore, just simple thoughts.

Thank you.

> Bye,
> Milan
>
> P.S.: By the way, Reply to List (Ctrl+L) works better for me on this
> mailing list.
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 19:05 +0200, U.vi via evolution-list wrote:
> This option doesn't exist here. I run 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org).
> There is very few options about HTML behavior but nothing about Plain
> Text Mode... Checked also on various menu. It's french version.

        Hi,
when you open menu Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages
tab, then at the bottom is a section called "Plain Text Mode". The
first option in that section says "Show suppressed HTML parts as
attachments". The second is a combo with a list of "HTML modes", one of
them being "Only ever show plain text". You can try the other options
as well. I do not know how those are called in French. You can try to
run Evolution in the default (English) translation with:

   $ LANG=C.utf8 flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

> >
> But you'r telling me that you cannot overide fancying with
> conditionnal events about standardised background & font, wich sound
> weird to me.

No, it's not accurate. I said that the code tries as much as it can and
that it works on the messages I tried with. Your message uses something
the code doesn't know about, for some reason. That means, the code
should be extended. I need a test message to see how to extend it.

> It would be great to have a button to break formating and
> switch black <> white <> normal as sender, for inbox and edition
> windows.

The option is there, at least for the preview panel, only not
accessible in the GUI, because it's kind of experimental. See the
gsettings reference mentioned earlier in this thread.

        Bye,
        Milan


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le lundi 11 mai 2020 à 09:39 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list a
écrit :

> On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 19:05 +0200, U.vi via evolution-list wrote:
> > This option doesn't exist here. I run 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org).
> > There is very few options about HTML behavior but nothing about
> > Plain
> > Text Mode... Checked also on various menu. It's french version.
>
> Hi,
> when you open menu Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->HTML Messages
> tab, then at the bottom is a section called "Plain Text Mode". The
> first option in that section says "Show suppressed HTML parts as
> attachments". The second is a combo with a list of "HTML modes", one
> of
> them being "Only ever show plain text". You can try the other options
> as well. I do not know how those are called in French.
Hi, thanks a lot. Please see screen capture. Does it really look like
it should? Is there really not a missing part? Nowhere is "plain text"
or translated, mentionned.
Only General and Load distant content, wich
"could" be a revamping but much more like a downgraded alteration.

Nowhere else in any menu is "Show suppressed HTML parts as attachments"
or the like.

> You can try to
> run Evolution in the default (English) translation with:
>
>    $ LANG=C.utf8 flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

I would like to try but don't know how to reverse here?

> > But you'r telling me that you cannot overide fancying with
> > conditionnal events about standardised background & font, wich
> > sound
> > weird to me.
>
> No, it's not accurate. I said that the code tries as much as it can
> and
> that it works on the messages I tried with. Your message uses
> something
> the code doesn't know about, for some reason. That means, the code
> should be extended. I need a test message to see how to extend it.
I see. I'll surely do that later, as for now it's hard for me to trace
back the origin of the world I'm sorry (end of lockdown today and so
on).

> > It would be great to have a button to break formating and
> > switch black <> white <> normal as sender, for inbox and edition
> > windows.
>
> The option is there, at least for the preview panel, only not
> accessible in the GUI, because it's kind of experimental. See the
> gsettings reference mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sweet, thanks!

Bye.
J.
> Bye,
> Milan
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

GNOMEVOLUTION-FLOU2.jpg (49K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Pete Biggs

> Hi, thanks a lot. Please see screen capture. Does it really look like
> it should? Is there really not a missing part? Nowhere is "plain text"
> or translated, mentionned.
> Only General and Load distant content, wich
> "could" be a revamping but much more like a downgraded alteration.
>
> Nowhere else in any menu is "Show suppressed HTML parts as attachments"
> or the like.

It's below the bit you've shown - underneath the two boxes of
whitelists. (Expand the window or scroll up the contents)

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le mardi 12 mai 2020 à 17:34 +0100, Pete Biggs a écrit :

> > Hi, thanks a lot. Please see screen capture. Does it really look
> > like
> > it should? Is there really not a missing part? Nowhere is "plain
> > text"
> > or translated, mentionned.
> > Only General and Load distant content, wich
> > "could" be a revamping but much more like a downgraded alteration.
> >
> > Nowhere else in any menu is "Show suppressed HTML parts as
> > attachments"
> > or the like.
>
> It's below the bit you've shown - underneath the two boxes of
> whitelists. (Expand the window or scroll up the contents)
>
> P.

No I can't do anything more. Whitelists boxes are fixed so huge, can be
an issu.

I run on 17" 1280x1024 (yep) to "accessibly focus the seeing", never
have an insolvable size issu, but this one. And I smoothly use all sort
of applications even A/V editing (have been a 12 years pro on various
config so I'm aware about sizing also).

Is it really useful to force
display 15 whitelist ID ??
Can I CLI hack this to reduce this display ?

Thanks.

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Pete Biggs

> No I can't do anything more. Whitelists boxes are fixed so huge, can be
> an issu.
>
> I run on 17" 1280x1024 (yep) to "accessibly focus the seeing", never
> have an insolvable size issu, but this one. And I smoothly use all sort
> of applications even A/V editing (have been a 12 years pro on various
> config so I'm aware about sizing also).
>
> Is it really useful to force
> display 15 whitelist ID ??
> Can I CLI hack this to reduce this display ?
>
I can reduce the size of the window so that the bottom bit below the
whitelists isn't showing and can use the scroll wheel to move things so
they can be seen.  I can see though that there are no scrollbars at the
side on your image.

Also the whitelist on mine only shows 6-7 entries. The rest are
scrollable.

Actually, I've just found out what your problem is - you need to enable
the "Prefer Plain Text" plugin and those entries at the bottom will
appear.

Perhaps your underlying problem is that the Flatpack version doesn't
include the plugins.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTML to PDF in accessibility mode

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le mardi 12 mai 2020 à 19:19 +0100, Pete Biggs a écrit :

> > No I can't do anything more. Whitelists boxes are fixed so huge,
> > can be
> > an issu.
> >
> > I run on 17" 1280x1024 (yep) to "accessibly focus the seeing",
> > never
> > have an insolvable size issu, but this one. And I smoothly use all
> > sort
> > of applications even A/V editing (have been a 12 years pro on
> > various
> > config so I'm aware about sizing also).
> >
> > Is it really useful to force
> > display 15 whitelist ID ??
> > Can I CLI hack this to reduce this display ?
> >
> I can reduce the size of the window so that the bottom bit below the
> whitelists isn't showing and can use the scroll wheel to move things
> so
> they can be seen.  I can see though that there are no scrollbars at
> the
> side on your image.
>
> Also the whitelist on mine only shows 6-7 entries. The rest are
> scrollable.
>
> Actually, I've just found out what your problem is - you need to
> enable
> the "Prefer Plain Text" plugin and those entries at the bottom will
> appear.
>
> Perhaps your underlying problem is that the Flatpack version doesn't
> include the plugins.
>
> P.
>

What! Wowww! Thanks a lot Pete!
Yes flatpack embed the thing but was the only one unchecked.
Its an instant relief, thanks for your patience, truely appreciate!

Later I'll dig into the primary issu about pdf.

Thank you!
J.

>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list