How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Frank M Waterman
Hello,

I am interested to know how Evolution manages the emoticons that are built into it. They are what I call 'graphical emoticons'. That is, they are colored and have faces which are not the same as an emoticon created using Unicode or ASCII code (I don't think). If one sends an email using .HTML, the emoticon looks like this: :-), but if the sender chooses to use plain text, it looks like this: 😀 (or something close to that).

I have been trying to find some information about these difference on the web, but I fear my ignorance is so great that I don't even know how to phrase the question correctly. Is there someone here who can point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

Frank


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Andre Klapper
Hi Frank,

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 15:48 -0500, Frank M Waterman wrote:

> I am interested to know how Evolution manages the emoticons that are
> built into it. They are what I call 'graphical emoticons'. That is,
> they are colored and have faces which are not the same as an emoticon
> created using Unicode or ASCII code (I don't think). If one sends an
> email using .HTML, the emoticon looks like this:  , but if the sender
> chooses to use plain text, it looks like this: 😀 (or something clos
> e to that).
>
> I have been trying to find some information about these difference on
> the web, but I fear my ignorance is so great that I don't even know
> how to phrase the question correctly. Is there someone here who can
> point me in the right direction, please?

Technically speaking, the list of available emoticon entries (in the
mail composer menu) is hardcoded in a source code file:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/src/e-util/e-emoticon-chooser.c#n36

In plain text mode the corresponding Unicode character is inserted.
Which is the third item in each row in that source code file.

In HTML mode the corresponding icon gets loaded (from the theme your
desktop environment is set to). Which is the second item in each row. 
So for "face-smile" using the Adwaita icon theme,
https://git.gnome.org/browse/adwaita-icon-theme/plain/Adwaita/256x256/emotes/face-smile.png
gets inserted from the list of icons you can see at
https://git.gnome.org/browse/adwaita-icon-theme/tree/Adwaita/256x256/emotes

(Some developer feel free to correct my interpretation of code.)

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Frank M Waterman
Thank you SO much for this succinct explanation, Andre! This is just the sort of information I was looking for to begin my journey with! I appreciate you taking the time VERY much!

Kindest regards,
Frank

On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 00:20 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
Hi Frank,

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 15:48 -0500, Frank M Waterman wrote:
I am interested to know how Evolution manages the emoticons that are built into it. They are what I call 'graphical emoticons'. That is, they are colored and have faces which are not the same as an emoticon created using Unicode or ASCII code (I don't think). If one sends an email using .HTML, the emoticon looks like this:  , but if the sender chooses to use plain text, it looks like this: 😀 (or something clos e to that). I have been trying to find some information about these difference on the web, but I fear my ignorance is so great that I don't even know how to phrase the question correctly. Is there someone here who can point me in the right direction, please?
Technically speaking, the list of available emoticon entries (in the mail composer menu) is hardcoded in a source code file: https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/src/e-util/e-emoticon-chooser.c#n36 In plain text mode the corresponding Unicode character is inserted. Which is the third item in each row in that source code file. In HTML mode the corresponding icon gets loaded (from the theme your desktop environment is set to). Which is the second item in each row.  So for "face-smile" using the Adwaita icon theme, https://git.gnome.org/browse/adwaita-icon-theme/plain/Adwaita/256x256/emotes/face-smile.png gets inserted from the list of icons you can see at https://git.gnome.org/browse/adwaita-icon-theme/tree/Adwaita/256x256/emotes (Some developer feel free to correct my interpretation of code.) Cheers, andre

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Ángel González
In reply to this post by Andre Klapper
This bears the question: In which case are the plain ascii text
emoticons used?
:-)
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 01:22 +0200, Ángel wrote:
> This bears the question: In which case are the plain ascii text
> emoticons used?

        Hi,
surely when Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->General tab
->Automatically insert emoticons is not set, in which case the text is
not changed from what you wrote. Then when the Unicode emoticons are
disabled and you compose Plain Text messages. What happens when you
click on Insert->Emoticon->... depends on the usage of Unicode
emoticons and what format the messages is in.

Even there are several combinations, just play with the two options
(Automatically insert emoticons and Use Unicode characters for
emoticons) and see what it does in respective message format (HTML and
Plain Text).
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list