How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
LinuxMint 19.1 running mate
Evolution 2.38.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1

How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail? Currently, I see it fail the first time I open Evolution and then about every 45 minutes
there after..

Where I'm sitting doesn't seem to make a difference nor does vpn status ( vpn on or off, the timing is about the same )

Thanks.

Mike

Re: How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

Andre Klapper
On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 18:11 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> LinuxMint 19.1 running mate
> Evolution 2.38.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1
>
> How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail? Currently, I
> see it fail the first time I open Evolution and then about every 45
> minutes there after..

Is this about Evolution EWS, or where to use OAuth2?
Also, you did not tell anyone which exact error message you see.
Please include sufficient information.

On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 01:59 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 18:11 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list
> wrote:
>
> LinuxMint 19.1 running mate
> Evolution 2.38.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1
>
> How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail? Currently, I
> see it fail the first time I open Evolution and then about every 45
> minutes there after..
>
> Is this about Evolution EWS, or where to use OAuth2?
> Also, you did not tell anyone which exact error message you see.
> Please include sufficient information.

No .. OAuth2 interactions with Evolution.   EWS isn't installed. I'm
just doing imap to gmail and office365.

When I start Evolution for the day, I get a message along the lines of
"OAuth2 is not supported for <user>".

On the 2nd or 3rd try to retrieve email via clicking "Send/Recieve" I
get a successful connection which will last for approximate 8 hours.
At which point, I get the same error message along with a with a popup
offering to "reconnect".  If I click the reconnect then I get prompted
for login and password after authenticating, I get asked to allow
Evolution to connect to my gmail account.

After reconnecting, it will normally last until I quit for the night
which is normally less than 8 hours later.

I shutdown the computer over night.. and the process starts over in the
morning.

On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 17:51 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 01:59 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 18:11 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> >
> > LinuxMint 19.1 running mate
> > Evolution 2.38.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1

        Hi,
I suppose it's a typo, the version might be 3.xxxx, not 2.xxxx.

> When I start Evolution for the day, I get a message along the lines
> of "OAuth2 is not supported for <user>".

I guess you face issue discussed in this thread:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2018-August/msg00254.html
which contains references to other resources. An evolution-data-server
version 3.28.5 might probably work better, but I guess you have it
installed too, (another) but I do not recall much, it's a long time
ago. The best would be to get to the latest stable version, which is
currently 3.32.2 (with a 3.32.3 release planned just for today), though
I understand it's not possible in all cases (like with Long Term
Support distributions, which do not provide major application (and
library [1]) updates).

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building#Evolution-Data-Server_dependency

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 08:29 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 17:51 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 01:59 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 18:11 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list
> wrote:
>
> LinuxMint 19.1 running mate
> Evolution 2.38.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1
>
> Hi,
> I suppose it's a typo, the version might be 3.xxxx, not 2.xxxx.
>
> When I start Evolution for the day, I get a message along the lines
> of "OAuth2 is not supported for <user>".
>
> I guess you face issue discussed in this thread:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2018-August/msg00254.html
> which contains references to other resources. An evolution-data-server
> version 3.28.5 might probably work better, but I guess you have it
> installed too, (another) but I do not recall much, it's a long time
> ago. The best would be to get to the latest stable version, which is
> currently 3.32.2 (with a 3.32.3 release planned just for today), though
> I understand it's not possible in all cases (like with Long Term
> Support distributions, which do not provide major application (and
> library [1]) updates).

definitely a type-o  Evolution 3.28.5-0unbuntu0.18.04.1

Here is the error message I get on initial bring up of Evolution

   Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

Typically after several attempts it will succeed and then fail again about 8 hours later.

I have verified with the controller of the domain that OAuth2 is definitely on and active.

On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 16:38 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>    Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email address>” does not
> support OAuth 2.0 authentication

        Hi,
that's an error message from evolution(-data-server). I'm not sure
whether you configured the account directly in Evolution, or through
GNOME (or Ubuntu) Online accounts. There had been some race conditions
involved when evolution-source-registry considered what authentication
method respective accounts should use (mostly related to Online
Accounts and Collection accounts (like if you configured Gmail in
Evolution and enabled to add also calendars and contacts at the end)).
This is fixed in more recent versions for sure (otherwise there would
be people complaining).

P.S.: Searching on Google with "evolution Data source does not support
OAuth 2.0 authentication" gives some results. I didn't look at them,
but, sometimes, one can reach related information easier this way, than
asking. Sometimes.

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 13:44 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 16:38 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>
>    Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email address>” does not
> support OAuth 2.0 authentication
>
> Hi,
> that's an error message from evolution(-data-server). I'm not sure
> whether you configured the account directly in Evolution, or through
> GNOME (or Ubuntu) Online accounts. There had been some race
> conditions
> involved when evolution-source-registry considered what
> authentication
> method respective accounts should use (mostly related to Online
> Accounts and Collection accounts (like if you configured Gmail in
> Evolution and enabled to add also calendars and contacts at the
> end)).

I configured Oauth2 in Google Cloud Platform Console (created the
token/key pair ).

Then I configured Evolution to us Oauth2 for both sending/receiving
email with StartTLS after connecting set.  Everything was running
smoothly, minus the daily headache of the initial connection in the
morning and then again about 8 hours later.  (this account is still on
pop with login/password).

So since 14/6/19, I haven't been able to connect with Oauth2.  When I
do get an error message it is the "Failed to authenticate: Data source
“<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication" message.

I saw some issues in Bugzilla that suggested it might be related to bug
in the version I'm using so I built the 3.30 version of the flatpak
based on the info on the Evolution-flatpak page.  Same failure to
connect but NO error messages or dialogs.

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=19.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=tessa
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="19.1 (Tessa)"
Linux 4.15.0-52-generic x86_64

Same architecture and kernel versions on both boxes.

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 12:22 -0500, Japhering wrote:
> I configured Oauth2 in Google Cloud Platform Console (created the
> token/key pair ).

Hmm, I meant where you configured the Google (IMAP/SMTP) account,
whether directly in Evolution, or in some 3rd-party software. Evolution
itself asks for the token when the account is created, if the account
is configured in Evolution directly.

> Then I configured Evolution to us Oauth2 for both sending/receiving
> email with StartTLS after connecting set.

The setting for Gmail is:
   Server: imap.gmail.com
   Port: 993
   Encryption: TLS on a dedicated port
   Authentication: OAuth2 (Google)

With this it works properly for me, at least.

> So since 14/6/19, I haven't been able to connect with Oauth2.  When I
> do get an error message it is the "Failed to authenticate: Data
> source
> “<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication" message.

Could you search in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ for all .source files
which contain the email address from the error message, and see what
value a Method key of an [Authentication] section of those files is set
to, please? It might be like this:

   [Authentication]
   Host=imap.gmail.com
   Method=Google
   Port=993
   User=<email-address>

where the 'Method=Google' means "OAuth2 against a Google server".
Having the account configured with GNOME Online Accounts, it would be
'Method=OAuth2'. There are some restrictions on the OAuth2 for accounts
configured in Evolution, it requires evolution-data-server to be
compiled with that enabled. When it is, a web page with login to the
Google server is shown when the token expires.

Any changes in those underlying files might be done when the
evolution-source-registry process is not running, which can be tricky
to achieve in certain situations (under certain desktop environments).
You can run that process from a terminal too, maybe it writes something
interesting there.

> I saw some issues in Bugzilla that suggested it might be related to
> bug in the version I'm using so I built the 3.30 version of the
> flatpak based on the info on the Evolution-flatpak page.

Current stable series is 3.32. Why did you build 3.30? At least the
steps described here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak
are referring to Evolution 3.32 series. You do not need to compile it,
though, as you can get quite recent version from Flathub too.

> Same failure to connect but NO error messages or dialogs.

You can verify you run correct version in Help->About of the Evolution.
Maybe, the page mentions 3.30 of the GNOME Platform/SDK, but it doesn't
claim what version of Evolution it actually builds, which may be
confusing.

P.S.: Feel free to reply only to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution), I am
subscribed and I do reply to your messages through the list, not to you
directly, too.

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 12:22 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> I configured Oauth2 in Google Cloud Platform Console (created the
> token/key pair ).
>
> Then I configured Evolution to us Oauth2

How exactly? Steps welcome.

> for both sending/receiving
> email with StartTLS after connecting set.  Everything was running
> smoothly, minus the daily headache of the initial connection in the
> morning and then again about 8 hours later.  (this account is still on
> pop with login/password).
>
> So since 14/6/19, I haven't been able to connect with Oauth2.  When I
> do get an error message it is the "Failed to authenticate: Data source
> “<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication" message.
>
> I saw some issues in Bugzilla

Link welcome.

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 19:55 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 12:22 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>
> I configured Oauth2 in Google Cloud Platform Console (created the
> token/key pair ).
>
> Hmm, I meant where you configured the Google (IMAP/SMTP) account,
> whether directly in Evolution, or in some 3rd-party software.
> Evolution
> itself asks for the token when the account is created, if the account
> is configured in Evolution directly.

Directly in Evolution

> Then I configured Evolution to us Oauth2 for both sending/receiving
> email with StartTLS after connecting set.
>
> The setting for Gmail is:
>    Server: imap.gmail.com
>    Port: 993
>    Encryption: TLS on a dedicated port
>    Authentication: OAuth2 (Google)
>
> With this it works properly for me, at least.

Mine reads the same and doesn't work :-(

> So since 14/6/19, I haven't been able to connect with Oauth2.  When I
> do get an error message it is the "Failed to authenticate: Data
> source
> “<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication" message.
>
> Could you search in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ for all .source
> files
> which contain the email address from the error message, and see what
> value a Method key of an [Authentication] section of those files is
> set
> to, please? It might be like this:
>
>    [Authentication]
>    Host=imap.gmail.com
>    Method=Google
>    Port=993
>    User=<email-address>

I currently have 3 of about 60 *.source files that contain authentication sections that look just like that.

This morning, since this machine has been through a series of updates without reloading Mint 17.x -> 18.x -> 19.1, I created an evolution backup and uninstalled evolution, then reinstalled and loaded from the
backup.

The interesting thing is now I have 1 *.source file that has an Auth section for my gmail account, but doesn't have one for my G-Suite account. Yet, either way .. using 0auth2 fails with the same error.

Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

> where the 'Method=Google' means "OAuth2 against a Google server".
> Having the account configured with GNOME Online Accounts, it would be
> 'Method=OAuth2'. There are some restrictions on the OAuth2 for
> accounts
> configured in Evolution, it requires evolution-data-server to be
> compiled with that enabled. When it is, a web page with login to the
> Google server is shown when the token expires.

Is there any easy way to tell if my currently installed version of data-server was built with it enabled ?

> Any changes in those underlying files might be done when the
> evolution-source-registry process is not running, which can be tricky
> to achieve in certain situations (under certain desktop
> environments).
> You can run that process from a terminal too, maybe it writes
> something
> interesting there.
>

> I saw some issues in Bugzilla that suggested it might be related to
> bug in the version I'm using so I built the 3.30 version of the
> flatpak based on the info on the Evolution-flatpak page.
>
> Current stable series is 3.32. Why did you build 3.30? At least the
> steps described here:
> are referring to Evolution 3.32 series. You do not need to compile
> it,
> though, as you can get quite recent version from Flathub too.

I say 3.30, because a) that is the version listed in the commands listed on the evolution-flatpak page and b) in the json file used
by the flatpak system "runtime-version" : "3.30".

So I might just be confused by the current evolution version being listed as 3.32, but the runtimes being 3.30. or the docs are out of
sync.

> Same failure to connect but NO error messages or dialogs.
>
> You can verify you run correct version in Help->About of the
> Evolution.
> Maybe, the page mentions 3.30 of the GNOME Platform/SDK, but it
> doesn't
> claim what version of Evolution it actually builds, which may be
> confusing.

About says 3.32.4 (flatpak gitc51c64f).

Interesting, when I first start the flatpak, I get the

Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

message, but once I close the message dialog, I never get it again. So short of paying attention to the connection icon next to each account, there is no indication that anything is not working.

> P.S.: Feel free to reply only to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution), I am
> subscribed and I do reply to your messages through the list, not to
> you
> directly, too.

My apologies, I thought I hit group reply. And today, I noticed that clicking group reply does both directly to you and to the list. learned
something new

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:27 AM Milan Crha via evolution-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 16:38 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>    Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email address>” does not
> support OAuth 2.0 authentication

        Hi,
that's an error message from evolution(-data-server). I'm not sure
whether you configured the account directly in Evolution, or through
GNOME (or Ubuntu) Online accounts. There had been some race conditions
involved when evolution-source-registry considered what authentication
method respective accounts should use (mostly related to Online
Accounts and Collection accounts (like if you configured Gmail in
Evolution and enabled to add also calendars and contacts at the end)).
This is fixed in more recent versions for sure (otherwise there would
be people complaining).

P.S.: Searching on Google with "evolution Data source does not support
OAuth 2.0 authentication" gives some results. I didn't look at them,
but, sometimes, one can reach related information easier this way, than
asking. Sometimes.

Re: How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 09:38 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> The interesting thing is now I have 1 *.source file that has an Auth
> section for my gmail account, but doesn't have one for my G-Suite
> account. Yet, either way .. using 0auth2 fails with the same error.

        Hi,
just in case, the flatpak version doesn't save its data into ~/.config,
the flatpak version runs as a sandbox, not talking to the installed
evolution/evolution-data-server at all.

> Is there any easy way to tell if my currently installed version of
> data-server was built with it enabled ?

I'm afraid not from the outside. One can run a little test program to
figure it out, but it's not needed. The flatpak version does have it
enabled.

> So I might just be confused by the current evolution version being
> listed as 3.32, but the runtimes being 3.30. or the docs are out of
> sync.

I see. The "runtime-version" means "what libraries are needed to build
& run the software being built". It doesn't say what is built inside.
There are also "branch": "gnome-3-32" in the .json file, which say what
software is built. In any case, the best is the Help->About.

I do not understand why the flatpak evolution would claim the error.
Not being it the flatpak version I'd suggest to run the
evolution-source-registry from the command line with debugging on [1],
but the flatpak version has everything fresh. I'm out of idea (unless,
I do not know, you accidentally ran the system evolution, instead of
the flatpak evolution, or when the claim comes from other application
than from evolution itself, still being it the host system application,
not the flatpak one).

> My apologies, I thought I hit group reply. And today, I noticed that
> clicking group reply does both directly to you and to the list.
> learned something new

No problem. Check the "Un-needed button" thread here, which contains
more information about the Group reply button.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#Evolution_Source_Registry

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 19:13 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 09:38 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
>
> The interesting thing is now I have 1 *.source file that has an Auth
> section for my gmail account, but doesn't have one for my G-Suite
> account. Yet, either way .. using 0auth2 fails with the same error.
>
> Hi,
> just in case, the flatpak version doesn't save its data into
> ~/.config,
> the flatpak version runs as a sandbox, not talking to the installed
> evolution/evolution-data-server at all.
>

> Is there any easy way to tell if my currently installed version of
> data-server was built with it enabled ?
>
> I'm afraid not from the outside. One can run a little test program to
> figure it out, but it's not needed. The flatpak version does have it
> enabled.
>

> So I might just be confused by the current evolution version being
> listed as 3.32, but the runtimes being 3.30. or the docs are out of
> sync.
>
> I see. The "runtime-version" means "what libraries are needed to
> build
> & run the software being built". It doesn't say what is built inside.
> There are also "branch": "gnome-3-32" in the .json file, which say
> what
> software is built. In any case, the best is the Help->About.
>
> I do not understand why the flatpak evolution would claim the error.
> Not being it the flatpak version I'd suggest to run the
> evolution-source-registry from the command line with debugging on
> [1],
> but the flatpak version has everything fresh. I'm out of idea
> (unless,
> I do not know, you accidentally ran the system evolution, instead of
> the flatpak evolution, or when the claim comes from other application
> than from evolution itself, still being it the host system
> application,
> not the flatpak one).

I took another machine and loaded it up with  Linux Mint 19.1
based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Linux 4.15.0-52-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP

I purposedly did not install the Evolution system build.

Then I installed the flatpak version.

I start the flatpak and have it load an Evolution backup as a starting
point.  The load succeeds with no messages in the terminal window where
I started the flatpak on the command line.

Shutdown Evolution.  Upon restart the flatpak version comes up and
pitches the following error.

   (evolution.bin:57): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: <time>: Failed to add
   service 'Sendmail'(sendmail): No provider available for protocol
   "sendmail"

In the error window with in Evolution shows

   Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

for each account trying to use OAuth2.  Once cleared the messages never
reappear, yet the status icon in the account pane shows the connection
arrows with the red error indicator.

Both accounts are setup with

   Receiving Email:
      Server:  imap.gmail.com  Port:993
      Encryption method:  TLS on a dedicated port

   Sending Email:
      Server:   smtp.gmail.com  Port: 587
      Encryption method:  STARTLS after connecting

Neither is successful at authenticating with the Gmail servers.

On Thu, 2019-06-27 at 11:09 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> Then I installed the flatpak version.

        Hi,
I tried on a Fedora 30 machine, which runs GNOME, and installed
Evolution Flatpak version from Flathub. I configured a new account
there, instead of using any backup. I did not left checked to add also
Calendars and Contacts for the Gmail account. I also opened Seahorse
and deleted the OAuth2 token from there (on the host machine). Then I
ran Evolution from Flatpak (it says in Help->About: 3.32.3 (flatpak
git)). I've been asked to login to the Google site to get the OAuth2
token. This worked flawlessly. I saw my mail messages from Gmail. After
that I closed Evolution and ran it again (flatpak run
org.gnome.Evolution) and I've not been asked to re-renter my OAuth2
token, neither I saw any error in the GUI, the account successfully
connected to the server.

> Shutdown Evolution.  Upon restart the flatpak version comes up and
> pitches the following error.
>
>    (evolution.bin:57): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: <time>: Failed to add
>    service 'Sendmail'(sendmail): No provider available for protocol
>    "sendmail"

That's (more or less) correct, the Flatpak version doesn't have access
to the host system sendmail, thus it is disabled in the code.

> In the error window with in Evolution shows
>
>    Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication
>
> for each account trying to use OAuth2.

For each mail account, or others?

> Both accounts are setup with
>
>    Receiving Email:
>       Server:  imap.gmail.com  Port:993
>       Encryption method:  TLS on a dedicated port

I have the same.

>    Sending Email:
>       Server:   smtp.gmail.com  Port: 587
>       Encryption method:  STARTLS after connecting

I use port 465 and "TLS on a dedicated port", which had been auto-
selected by the configuration lookup. This may not have any impact,
because it's used only when sending messages, not when receiving them.
The authentication type says "OAuth2 (Google)" for both parts of the
mail account. The "gmail.com" in the addresses (for both IMAP and SMTP)
can be changed to "googlemail.com" and it should work too.

> Neither is successful at authenticating with the Gmail servers.

Works fine for me. I also tried with the added Calendar and Contacts
(at the end of the New Mail Wizard) and it works fine too.

I didn't have it running for several hours, of course, I simply tried
to close evolution and run it again, which I understood as being one of
the ways to reproduce the error message for you.

This might be a stupid question, and I apologize for it: did you
install the Flatpak version from Flathub or from anywhere else? I did
use the Flathub version myself and I suppose you did too.

The main difference I can see, apart of using different distribution,
is that I configured the account from scratch, while you used some
backup. Could you try with a fresh account instead, please? I do not
see anything else different, especially when you use the same Flathub
version as I do.

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 12:38 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-06-27 at 11:09 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list
> wrote:
>
> Then I installed the flatpak version.
>
> Hi,
> I tried on a Fedora 30 machine, which runs GNOME, and installed
> Evolution Flatpak version from Flathub. I configured a new account
> there, instead of using any backup. I did not left checked to add
> also
> Calendars and Contacts for the Gmail account. I also opened Seahorse
> and deleted the OAuth2 token from there (on the host machine). Then I
> ran Evolution from Flatpak (it says in Help->About: 3.32.3 (flatpak
> git)). I've been asked to login to the Google site to get the OAuth2
> token. This worked flawlessly. I saw my mail messages from Gmail.
> After
> that I closed Evolution and ran it again (flatpak run
> org.gnome.Evolution) and I've not been asked to re-renter my OAuth2
> token, neither I saw any error in the GUI, the account successfully
> connected to the server.
>

> Shutdown Evolution.  Upon restart the flatpak version comes up and
> pitches the following error.
>
>    (evolution.bin:57): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: <time>: Failed to
> add
>    service 'Sendmail'(sendmail): No provider available for protocol
>    "sendmail"
>
> That's (more or less) correct, the Flatpak version doesn't have
> access
> to the host system sendmail, thus it is disabled in the code.
>

> In the error window with in Evolution shows
>
>    Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication
>
> for each account trying to use OAuth2.
>
> For each mail account, or others?
>

> Both accounts are setup with
>
>    Receiving Email:
>       Server:  imap.gmail.com  Port:993
>       Encryption method:  TLS on a dedicated port
>
> I have the same.
>

>    Sending Email:
>       Server:   smtp.gmail.com  Port: 587
>       Encryption method:  STARTLS after connecting
>
> I use port 465 and "TLS on a dedicated port", which had been auto-
> selected by the configuration lookup. This may not have any impact,
> because it's used only when sending messages, not when receiving
> them.
> The authentication type says "OAuth2 (Google)" for both parts of the
> mail account. The "gmail.com" in the addresses (for both IMAP and
> SMTP)
> can be changed to "googlemail.com" and it should work too.

I've tried both ports and both methods .. neither of which worked

> Neither is successful at authenticating with the Gmail servers.
>
> Works fine for me. I also tried with the added Calendar and Contacts
> (at the end of the New Mail Wizard) and it works fine too.
>
> I didn't have it running for several hours, of course, I simply tried
> to close evolution and run it again, which I understood as being one
> of
> the ways to reproduce the error message for you.
>
> This might be a stupid question, and I apologize for it: did you
> install the Flatpak version from Flathub or from anywhere else? I did
> use the Flathub version myself and I suppose you did too.

Yes, from flathub.

> The main difference I can see, apart of using different distribution,
> is that I configured the account from scratch, while you used some
> backup. Could you try with a fresh account instead, please? I do not
> see anything else different, especially when you use the same Flathub
> version as I do.

Ok.. I'll scratch one machine and rebuild flatpak and NOT import data.
It will be a day or two.

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 23:30 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> Ok.. I'll scratch one machine and rebuild flatpak and NOT import
> data. It will be a day or two.

        Hi,
you do not need to rebuild Flatpak, especially when you download data
from the Flathub. You even do not need to reinstall it, just remove the
old account(s) and create a new from scratch. I'd also check in
seahorse what passwords/credentials are saved there and eventually
remove those related to evolution-data-server (some might be related to
'Google' and your Gmail address).

Make sure that 'ps ax | grep evolution' doesn't mention any process
from '/app/...' - those are those ran from Flatpak. Kill them with
'kill -TERM $PID' or any higher force (like -9 instead of -TERM), in
case they won't want to go away. It'll make sure that the next time you
run the Flatpak evolution it'll restart the background services too.

Re: How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 19:55 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> Current stable series is 3.32. Why did you build 3.30? At least the
> steps described here:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak
> are referring to Evolution 3.32 series. You do not need to compile
> it,though, as you can get quite recent version from Flathub too.

Ok, dumped the accounts I imported from a backup into the flatpak
version.  Then I recreated the 2 Google accounts one freebie account
and one G-Suite account.

Everything seems to be working without issues.

Next question, is there anyway to move my filter rules and signatures
from the non-flatpak version to the flatpak version?

Thanks for all the help with the all the issues I was having with
native and flatpak versions of eovlution when using Oauth2.

On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 17:01 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list wrote:
> Next question, is there anyway to move my filter rules and signatures
> from the non-flatpak version to the flatpak version?

        Hi,
the main problem with the filters is that they reference account UIDs,
like when you copy/move messages with them, or when you check whether
they are from particular account. These UIDs are unique identifiers,
which also means that when you recreated the account the UID changed.

I can point you to the actual files to copy to the Flatpak version
(including those for the signatures, which do not suffer of the UIDs
issue), if you'd like to, but you might need to re-edit all the filters
to make sure they reference correct accounts (even if the UI will look
like having set correct account it can be just a default value, not the
actual value being set, which is now non-existent). It's a manual work,
there's nothing automatic to do it.