How to archive to year-named subfolder of archive folder?

How to archive to year-named subfolder of archive folder?

J.B. Nicholson
I'm running Evolution version 3.36.4-2 on Debian GNU/Linux 64-bit
bullseye with some sid packages installed.

My account's Archives folder has subfolders named after a year
(Archives/2019, Archives/2020, etc.)

On Thunderbird, one can archive a message to the year-named subfolder
which matches the current year.

So far I've got the archive folder pointing to the 2020 subfolder just
to get the archiver to deposit the email in the correct place. It would
be mildly more convenient to work like Thunderbird does in this
respect.

Can this be set up in this way on Evolution? If so, how does one set
this up in Evolution to behave like Thunderbird?

Thanks.

Re: How to archive to year-named subfolder of archive folder?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-09-20 at 23:41 -0500, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> On Thunderbird, one can archive a message to the year-named subfolder
> which matches the current year.

        Hi,
out of interest, does it match the current year (aka the year the
Archive operation was initiated in), or a year from the Date header,
+/- converted to the local time zone? It would be weird to have
archived message from 2015 in folder 2020, only because the Archive
function was initiated in year 2020.

> Can this be set up in this way on Evolution? If so, how does one set
> this up in Evolution to behave like Thunderbird?

It cannot be done in Evolution, other than by manually changing the
archive folder each year. Feel free to file a feature request at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> out of interest, does it match the current year (aka the year the
> Archive operation was initiated in), or a year from the Date header,
> +/- converted to the local time zone? It would be weird to have
> archived message from 2015 in folder 2020, only because the Archive
> function was initiated in year 2020.

Yes; you're quite right on both counts. In fact, Thunderbird (version 68.12.0
(64-bit) at least where I just tested this) does the latter. Here's how I tested
that: I pressed "a" (Archive shortcut key) on a message sent in the year 2009 (per
its Date header) from the 2009 archive folder and that message stayed in the 2009
archive folder. I moved that message to my 2020 archive folder, went to the 2020
archive folder, and pressed "a" on it again. The message moved back to the 2009 folder.

Re: How to archive to year-named subfolder of archive folder?

Ángel González
On 2020-09-22 at 20:21 -0500, J.B. Nicholson wrote:

> Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > out of interest, does it match the current year (aka the year the
> > Archive operation was initiated in), or a year from the Date
> > header,
> > +/- converted to the local time zone? It would be weird to have
> > archived message from 2015 in folder 2020, only because the Archive
> > function was initiated in year 2020.
>
> Yes; you're quite right on both counts. In fact, Thunderbird (version
> 68.12.0
> (64-bit) at least where I just tested this) does the latter. Here's
> how I tested
> that: I pressed "a" (Archive shortcut key) on a message sent in the
> year 2009 (per
> its Date header) from the 2009 archive folder and that message stayed
> in the 2009
> archive folder. I moved that message to my 2020 archive folder, went
> to the 2020
> archive folder, and pressed "a" on it again. The message moved back
> to the 2009 folder.

I think such feature would require an Archive folder supporting
placeholders. Someone might want to use "Old-%Y", other "Archive/%Y",
some "Archive/%m-%Y" yet other "Archive/%Y-%m" .

As such, allowing a modifier so that it refers to the current or the
Received:/Date: timestamp, seems a little adjustment.

Best regards