How to do Migration to Evolution 3.18.5.2 from Outlook 2010

How to do Migration to Evolution 3.18.5.2 from Outlook 2010

adg adg82439
Hi,

I want to migrate my Phone data, i.e. Mails, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Pictures, Notes,
from my local Windows 7 with Outlook 2010
to Evolution 3.18.5.2 on kubuntu 16.04

On windows pc,  Outlook 2010 is locally installed without Exchange Server.
All outlook data, Mails, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, is stored in three big pst files an pc harddisk.

I use an Nokia 808 Symbian¬≥ Smartphone and sync all,
Mails, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks,Pictures, Notes
with windows 7 outlook 2010 locally by NokiaSuite over USB-Cable or Bluetooth.

I tried syncevolution on linux pc to test syncing with the phone before transfer data but didn't get something worked.

I tried for calendar some pst-read programs to import the local pst file into evolution,
but the calendar was a mess, some was fine and a lot of appointments are scheduled completely wrong.

Some  how to do Manuals are very old and resulted in 404 pages.

Later I will switch to a newer Generation Phone.  I am not sure IOS or Android or smth. else.

It is important to me to have an easy to use sync from phone to then linux pc
for calendar, tasks, Pictures, Notes and contacts as well as mail accounts.

I appreciate for any help

regards

Re: How to do Migration to Evolution 3.18.5.2 from Outlook 2010

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 11:54 +0000, adg adg82439 wrote:
> It is important to me to have an easy to use sync from phone to then
> linux pc for calendar, tasks, Pictures, Notes and contacts as well as
> mail accounts.

        Hi,
I'd say either use some public server to copy your data to it, or
configure an instance on your machine (which is not trivial,
unfortunately), then configure Outlook or the Phone to connect to there
and copy there all you need to have there.

For contacts, events, tasks and memos (notes) I'd suggest DAViCal, it
knows all the four and the documentation to setup it is very well
written, easy to follow [1].

For the mail part, the best would be an IMAP server, anything like
dovecot, cyrus or courier. I think dovecot is the easiest to setup and
it's available in most distributions, but it depends on the actual
point of view.

As you synchronize the devices in offline, it might be a little
challenge to achieve the same in Linux. The easiest might be to use
some public server and connect to it from all the devices you care of.
But it's not the same as having the data on your machine only, thus no
other can look at it (if you are interested in such kind of privacy).
You mentioned syncevolution, which might do it too, though I never
tried to configure it myself, thus I cannot help with it.

Maybe others on the list have better experience and knowledge in this
area.

[1] https://www.davical.org/

Re: How to do Migration to Evolution 3.18.5.2 from Outlook 2010

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 06:43 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd say either use some public server to copy your data to it, or
> configure an instance on your machine (which is not trivial,
> unfortunately), then configure Outlook or the Phone to connect to
> there
> and copy there all you need to have there.
>
> For contacts, events, tasks and memos (notes) I'd suggest DAViCal, it
> knows all the four and the documentation to setup it is very well
> written, easy to follow [1].

Should that be mentioned on
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/import-apps-outlook.html ?

> You mentioned syncevolution, which might do it too, though I never
> tried to configure it myself, thus I cannot help with it.

If there are any improvements to
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/sync-with-other-devices.html
please share.

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/