How to edit list of applications to open attachments

How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Van Snyder
I can't find anything in the user manual that explains how to edit the
list of applications that could be used to open attachments.

I suspect that's actually the purview of whatever window manager is
running evolution, but it would be helpful to have references that lead
me to details for each one, and some way to find the references.  The
index page for the evolution manual has almost nothing about reading
mail.

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Adam Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 16:14 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> I can't find anything in the user manual that explains how to edit
> the list of applications that could be used to open attachments.

Not the Window Manager; it is XDG + GNOME.

See <http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/node/27>

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Adam Tauno Williams
PLEASE SEND ALL REPLIES TO THE LIST.

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 17:46 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> gvfs-mime isn't installed in Scientific Linux release 6.9
> (Carbon).  I
> use KDE 4.3.4. Starting from the Application Launcher Menu, I found
> Settings -> File Associations -> video -> mp4, for example,
> configured it for mplayer, and clicked "Apply".  Upon restarting
> evolution, nothing was new on the list of applications that could
> open
> an mp4 attachment.
> Do I need to restart KDE too?

You should not have to restart anything - but it may depend on how an
individual application is written.

> In any case, it would be helpful to have a clue in the evolution
> guide. The more detailed the clue, the more useful it is.

But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application association;
a feature provided by the underlying environment.

Take a look at xdg-mime (it should have a man page).  XDG is what lies
beneath both KDE and GNOME [in GNOME's case you'd use gvfs-mime to call
xdg-mime].

Something like -

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
evince.desktop

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 07:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> PLEASE SEND ALL REPLIES TO THE LIST.
>
> On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 17:46 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> > gvfs-mime isn't installed in Scientific Linux release 6.9
> > (Carbon).  I
> > use KDE 4.3.4. Starting from the Application Launcher Menu, I found
> > Settings -> File Associations -> video -> mp4, for example,
> > configured it for mplayer, and clicked "Apply".  Upon restarting
> > evolution, nothing was new on the list of applications that could
> > open
> > an mp4 attachment.
> > Do I need to restart KDE too?
>
> You should not have to restart anything - but it may depend on how an
> individual application is written.
>
> > In any case, it would be helpful to have a clue in the evolution
> > guide. The more detailed the clue, the more useful it is.
>
> But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
> Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
> downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application association;
> a feature provided by the underlying environment.
>
> Take a look at xdg-mime (it should have a man page).  XDG is what lies
> beneath both KDE and GNOME [in GNOME's case you'd use gvfs-mime to call
> xdg-mime].
>
> Something like -
>
> awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
> evince.desktop

gvfs-mime would still be the right app to use, even under KDE.
Evolution is a Gnome application and uses the Gnome libraries. Setting
MIME type using the KDE panel is unlikely to work for Gnome. Similarly,
under KDE one can use gnome-control-center from the Shell to get to the
Gnome settings window.

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Van Snyder
On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 07:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > In any case, it would be helpful to have a clue in the evolution
> > guide. The more detailed the clue, the more useful it is.
>
> But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
> Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
> downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application
> association;
> a feature provided by the underlying environment.

Exactly that kind of clue is what's missing from the Evolution handbook.

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Van Snyder
On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 07:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Take a look at xdg-mime (it should have a man page).  XDG is what lies
> beneath both KDE and GNOME [in GNOME's case you'd use gvfs-mime to
> call
> xdg-mime].
>
> Something like -
>
> awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
> evince.desktop

$ xdb-mime query default video/mp4
mplayer.desktop

But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.

Maybe the problem is that I'm using evolution 2.32.3.  I'm not allowed
to have the root password for my computer without taking about six
months' of cyber-security training, so I can't update it.

I've tried installing applications in my own account, but usually run
afoul of version conflicts that require essentially installing all
of /lib and /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib in my own account.  Then the SA
gets angry at me for using up too much file space in the server.

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 13:37 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> gvfs-mime would still be the right app to use, even under KDE.
> Evolution is a Gnome application and uses the Gnome libraries. Setting
> MIME type using the KDE panel is unlikely to work for Gnome.
> Similarly,
> under KDE one can use gnome-control-center from the Shell to get to
> the
> Gnome settings window.

Unfortunately, gvfs-mime is apparently not included in Scientific Linux
6.9.  There is no file association widget in the gnome settings panel,
perhaps because gvfs-mime isn't installed.  I'll ask my SA to install
it.  He usually balks at installing stuff that's not included in
Scientific Linux.

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 13:03 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 13:37 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > gvfs-mime would still be the right app to use, even under KDE.
> > Evolution is a Gnome application and uses the Gnome libraries. Setting
> > MIME type using the KDE panel is unlikely to work for Gnome.
> > Similarly,
> > under KDE one can use gnome-control-center from the Shell to get to
> > the
> > Gnome settings window.
>
> Unfortunately, gvfs-mime is apparently not included in Scientific Linux
> 6.9.  There is no file association widget in the gnome settings panel,
> perhaps because gvfs-mime isn't installed.  I'll ask my SA to install
> it.  He usually balks at installing stuff that's not included in
> Scientific Linux.

The most recent version of Scientific Linux is 7.3, which you might be
able to convince your sysadmin to install.

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 12:57 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> $ xdb-mime query default video/mp4
> mplayer.desktop

It's xdg. Not xdb.

> But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.

Does the file /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop (or wherever your
distribution puts .desktop files) actually exist on your machine?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 12:50 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 07:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > In any case, it would be helpful to have a clue in the evolution
> > > guide. The more detailed the clue, the more useful it is.
> >
> > But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
> > Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
> > downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application
> > association;
> > a feature provided by the underlying environment.
>
> Exactly that kind of clue is what's missing from the Evolution
> handbook.

In recent user help versions (not six year old versions),
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/default-browser.html
links to the desktop environment help to explain how to change which
web browser to open when clicking on links in Evolution.

Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.
Because it should be in desktop environment user docs, not in Evolution
user docs. Plus I'd expect your distro / sysadmin to set up and/or
document such underlying stuff anyway...

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 12:21 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> > > But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
> > > Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
> > > downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application
> > > association;
> > > a feature provided by the underlying environment.
> >
> > Exactly that kind of clue is what's missing from the Evolution
> > handbook.
>
> In recent user help versions (not six year old versions),
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/default-browser.html
> links to the desktop environment help to explain how to change which
> web browser to open when clicking on links in Evolution.

That points to a Gnome page which tells you to open the Activities
dialogue and select a browser. Unfortunately that is not applicable if
the user is running KDE, and I for one can't see a way to get to it
from gnome-control-center, so manually editing a config file seems to
be the only way to do it.

> Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.
> Because it should be in desktop environment user docs, not in Evolution
> user docs. Plus I'd expect your distro / sysadmin to set up and/or
> document such underlying stuff anyway...

Indeed, that's both the positive and the negative aspect of the whole
concept of a "desktop environment". If you're in the "wrong"
environment, things don't work smoothly. I use a number of Gnome apps
including Evolution under KDE because a) they are often more functional
than the KDE equivalents, and b) I really detest the Gnome desktop as
such (IMHO its UI is inadequate). No doubt some people use KDE apps
under Gnome and have the opposite view. The attempt to unify desktop
settings via XDG is laudable but seems to be focussed on the lowest
common denominator rather than the highest user accessibility. Anyway,
I'm wandering off topic so I'll stop.

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Adam Tauno Williams
> > Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.

+1

> Indeed, that's both the positive and the negative aspect of the whole
> concept of a "desktop environment". If you're in the "wrong"
> environment, things don't work smoothly.

Incorrect.  Both KDE and GNOME use XDG to solve this problem; what
works in one works in the other.
Unless (a) you are specifically using an app that goes-its-own-way or
(b) your distribution screwed it up.

The days of interoperability problems are 99.44% over; again, unless
someone screwed it up [a good argument for staying with a main-stream
distribution].

I use the underlying tools to script my configuration/preferences -
they work.

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 12:16 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.
> Does the file /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop (or wherever
> your distribution puts .desktop files) actually exist on your
> machine?

Better - what is the default handler for the MIME-type of the
attachment?

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default video/mp4
org.gnome.Totem.desktop
awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default video/webm
org.gnome.Totem.desktop

If you save the attachment and attempt to open it from the command
line, what happens?

awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-open ./Videos/VID_20160903_224422774.mp4

It should open in your player.  You should be able to open ANYTHING
your desktop can open using xdg-open.

What is the MIME-type of the attachment?  Perhaps the sender is messing
up the attachment?

Aside: I do with XDG's tools provided what GVFS tools profile [from the
underlying XDG library] - which is a way to not only show the DEFAULT
but to query ALL the applications that claim they know about a
specified file-type.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
openSUSE, a LINUX desktop for humans who need to get work done.

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 06:56 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> > > Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.
>
> +1
>
> > Indeed, that's both the positive and the negative aspect of the whole
> > concept of a "desktop environment". If you're in the "wrong"
> > environment, things don't work smoothly.
>
> Incorrect.  Both KDE and GNOME use XDG to solve this problem; what
> works in one works in the other.
> Unless (a) you are specifically using an app that goes-its-own-way or
> (b) your distribution screwed it up.

The app in question is Evolution 3.22.6. My distro is Fedora 25,
updated from the stable repos this morning, and running with the latest
stable KDE/Plasma desktop:

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
opera.desktop
$ xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler
$

So no URL handler and the browser is Opera. Opening the KDE Settings
panel shows the same thing. However if I use gnome-control-center to
check the defaults, the browser is Firefox, not Opera, and indeed
Firefox is what opens when I click on a link in Evolution. In fact
Opera is not even offered as an option.

So something is inconsistent. Since the underlying XDG tool is
supposedly what offers compatibility, I assume it must be Gnome.

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Van Snyder
On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 12:21 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> > > But it isn't Evolution that controls that - as it is not Internet
> > > Explorer in Windows which controls what app handles something
> > > downloaded.  That is determine by MIME-type to application
> > > association;
> > > a feature provided by the underlying environment.
> >
> > Exactly that kind of clue is what's missing from the Evolution
> > handbook.
>
> In recent user help versions (not six year old versions),
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/default-browser.html
> links to the desktop environment help to explain how to change which
> web browser to open when clicking on links in Evolution.
>
> Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.
> Because it should be in desktop environment user docs, not in Evolution
> user docs.

Evolution docs shouldn't say how each desktop environment specifies
these associations.  But it should say "Your desktop environment
specifies these associations."

> Plus I'd expect your distro / sysadmin to set up and/or
> document such underlying stuff anyway...

I'm sure it's there somewhere.  It only took me a week of searching and
about ten e-mail messages to find it.

> andre

Re: How to edit list of applications to open attachments

Andre Klapper
On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 11:52 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> Evolution docs shouldn't say how each desktop environment specifies
> these associations.  But it should say "Your desktop environment
> specifies these associations."

I see. Makes sense! :)
Do you have a specific page (in the recent user docs) in mind where
you'd have expected such info? I'd be happy to add that sentence.

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 07:05 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > But evolution still doesn't offer mplayer for mp4 attachments.

I have the same problem.

> > Does the file /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop (or wherever
> > your distribution puts .desktop files) actually exist on your
> > machine?

ll /usr/share/kde4/apps/kappfinder/apps/Multimedia/mplayer.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5391 Oct  2 2009 /usr/share/kde4/apps/kappfinder/apps/Multimedia/mplayer.desktop

so I can't edit it.

After 47 lines of GenericName[*]= with UTF-8 names:

Exec=gmplayer %U
Icon=video
MimeType=video/x-ms-asf;video/mpeg;video/quicktime;video/x-flic;video/x-msvideo;

gmplayer is a soft link to mplayer.

Notice that video/mp4 isn't in the MimeType list.  Does KDE care?  Does
Evolution care?

After about 47 more lines of Name[*]= with UTF-8 names

Type=Application
X-KDE-Protocols=http

> Better - what is the default handler for the MIME-type of the
> attachment?

> awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-mime query default video/mp4

mplayer

> If you save the attachment and attempt to open it from the command
> line, what happens?
>
> awilliam@beast01:~> xdg-open ./Videos/VID_20160903_224422774.mp4

It opens with mplayer.

> What is the MIME-type of the attachment?  Perhaps the sender is
> messing up the attachment?

video/mp4

I doubt that every sender is messing up every mp4 attachment.

The Evolution I'm using is an antique: 2.34.3.  My KDE is 4.3.4.  Those
are what's supplied with Scientific Linux 6.9.  I'm not trusted with the
root password for my computer until I take six months of cyber-security
training (our organization gets about a million break-in attempts per
day).  That's not included in my work authorization memo.  So I can't
install anything newer.  My SA is negotiating with the powers-that-be to
install Scientific Linux 7.3.  When I ask him how to change file
association settings he refers me to the Gnome control center.  There's
no file associations widget, perhaps because gvfs-mime isn't installed,
and it isn't available from any Scientific Linux repository so my SA
can't install it.  There's a file associations widget in the KDE
settings panel, and it apparently has convinced xdg-mime that
video/mp4's app is mplayer.

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 21:01 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 11:52 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> > Evolution docs shouldn't say how each desktop environment specifies
> > these associations.  But it should say "Your desktop environment
> > specifies these associations."
>
> I see. Makes sense! :)
> Do you have a specific page (in the recent user docs) in mind where
> you'd have expected such info? I'd be happy to add that sentence.

In my documentation for Evolution 2.32.3, subclause 2.1.7 "Working with
Attachments and HTML Mail" seems like a good place to add a subclause
2.1.7.3 (or maybe 2.1.7.2) "Specifying file associations to open
attachments".

> andre

Thanks,
Van

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 12:18 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 21:01 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 11:52 -0700, W Van Snyder wrote:
> > > Evolution docs shouldn't say how each desktop environment specifies
> > > these associations.  But it should say "Your desktop environment
> > > specifies these associations."
> >
> > I see. Makes sense! :)
> > Do you have a specific page (in the recent user docs) in mind where
> > you'd have expected such info? I'd be happy to add that sentence.
>
> In my documentation for Evolution 2.32.3, subclause 2.1.7 "Working
> with
> Attachments and HTML Mail" seems like a good place to add a subclause
> 2.1.7.3 (or maybe 2.1.7.2) "Specifying file associations to open
> attachments".

Thanks. I filed https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=783363

As usual, patches welcome. :)

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/