How to install a version of Evolution newer that the one in my distribution

How to install a version of Evolution newer that the one in my distribution

I have Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 that came with my Xubuntu
18.04 distribution. I've seen that there is new stable release
(Evolution 3.36)and I'd like to switch to it but I'm not sure about how
to safely do it. I image that I have to back up my current installation
and unistal 3.28 before install the 3.36 version. Account settings
aside (IMAP anyway) I've not very much but I've some (a lot) mails
saved in local folders. How can I ensure that this mail wont disappear
after 3.28 unistall?
regards
Alessia

Re: How to install a version of Evolution newer that the one in my distribution

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 16:51 +0200, Alessia via evolution-list wrote:
> I have Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 that came with my Xubuntu
> 18.04 distribution. I've seen that there is new stable release
> (Evolution 3.36)and I'd like to switch to it but I'm not sure about
> how to safely do it.

You either upgrade your distribution, or you take a look at Flatpak.

> How can I ensure that this mail wont disappear after 3.28 unistall?

Uninstalling does not delete user data.

Re: How to install a version of Evolution newer that the one in my distribution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thank you.

Il giorno lun, 30/03/2020 alle 16.54 +0200, Andre Klapper ha scritto:
> Hi,
>

> You either upgrade your distribution, or you take a look at Flatpak.

I'm waiting for the next Xubuntu LTS release to upgrade,I guess there
will be the newest release (by then) of Evolution in it. I've never
used Flatpack but if, with it, Evolution works well I can try it.

> > How can I ensure that this mail wont disappear after 3.28 unistall?
>
> Uninstalling does not delete user data.
>

> Cheers,
> andre

Thanks
Alessia

> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: How to install a version of Evolution newer that the one in my distribution

aguador
El lun, 30-03-2020 a las 17:09 +0200, Alessia via evolution-list
escribió:

> Thank you.
>
> Il giorno lun, 30/03/2020 alle 16.54 +0200, Andre Klapper ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >

> > You either upgrade your distribution, or you take a look at
> > Flatpak.
>
> I'm waiting for the next Xubuntu LTS release to upgrade,I guess there
> will be the newest release (by then) of Evolution in it. I've never
> used Flatpack but if, with it, Evolution works well I can try it.
> > > How can I ensure that this mail wont disappear after 3.28
> > > unistall?
> >
> > Uninstalling does not delete user data.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > andre
>
> Thanks
> Alessia
> > --

I am not a *buntu user, but I assume that the Ubuntu PPA would provide
a good alternative:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution

Both 3.34 and 3.36 have little tweaks that I like over 3.32.

Best,
Roy