Improvements since version 3.18

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Improvements since version 3.18

David Burleigh
I've pretty much given up trying to get any Evolution version above 3.18.5.2 running on my Linux Mint 18.1 system, as the unmet dependencies are so numerous. But I'm still very curious about what I'm missing by not having the latest stable version installed. Is there any documentation anywhere of the improvements added since version 3.18? 

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improvements since version 3.18

Andre Klapper
On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 17:03 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> I've pretty much given up trying to get any Evolution version above
> 3.18.5.2 running on my Linux Mint 18.1 system, as the unmet
> dependencies are so numerous. But I'm still very curious about what
> I'm missing by not having the latest stable version installed. Is
> there any documentation anywhere of the improvements added since
> version 3.18? 

See all the .news files in the "3.19" to "3.24" folders in
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/evolution

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improvements since version 3.18

Milan Crha
On Sat, 2017-06-10 at 00:31 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> See all the .news files in the "3.19" to "3.24" folders in
> ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/evolution

        Hi,
do not forget of evolution-data-server, because evolution it tight to
it. It's basically the main issue with dependencies, because other
system applications also link to the evoltuion-data-server, thus they
require rebuild or update as well. Otherwise dependencies are not that
big issue, because they didn't change significantly for years (it's a
dependency issue from the other side/up-side-down). Users can compile
from source even to a different prefix [1], though it can be tricky for
daily use due to D-Bus services.

Running something like:

   $ git log --pretty=format:"[%h] %s (%an)" EVOLUTION_3_18_5_2.. | wc -l

in the gnome-3-24 checkout gives me 827 general commits, 407 commits in
translations and 48 commits in the help (user documentation). Similarly
in evolution-data-server 378 general commits and 194 commits in
translations. The numbers are raw commits, not necessarily features or
bug fixes.

The web interface, not FTP, for the files can be found here:
https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution-data-server/
https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/

As Andre suggested, the NEWS files are the place to look for divided
changes. You can look on all of them at once here:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-24
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-24

        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improvements since version 3.18

David Burleigh
On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 09:39 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Sat, 2017-06-10 at 00:31 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
See all the .news files in the "3.19" to "3.24" folders in ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/evolution
Hi, do not forget of evolution-data-server, because evolution it tight to it. It's basically the main issue with dependencies, because other system applications also link to the evoltuion-data-server, thus they require rebuild or update as well. Otherwise dependencies are not that big issue, because they didn't change significantly for years (it's a dependency issue from the other side/up-side-down). Users can compile from source even to a different prefix [1], though it can be tricky for daily use due to D-Bus services. Running something like: $ git log --pretty=format:"[%h] %s (%an)" EVOLUTION_3_18_5_2.. | wc -l in the gnome-3-24 checkout gives me 827 general commits, 407 commits in translations and 48 commits in the help (user documentation). Similarly in evolution-data-server 378 general commits and 194 commits in translations. The numbers are raw commits, not necessarily features or bug fixes. The web interface, not FTP, for the files can be found here: https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution-data-server/ https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/ As Andre suggested, the NEWS files are the place to look for divided changes. You can look on all of them at once here: https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-24 https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-24 Bye, Milan [1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Thank you, it was nice to browse through the improvements, but they seem to be out of reach until Linux Mint moves on to a Ubuntu base later than 16.04, unless I abandon Linux Mint and install Debian Stretch instead. I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improvements since version 3.18

Martin Dietze
In reply to this post by Milan Crha
On 12 June 2017 at 09:39, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Otherwise dependencies are not that
> big issue, because they didn't change significantly for years (it's a
> dependency issue from the other side/up-side-down).

So far this has always been an issue for me. I am using Oracle Linux,
which is a fork of RHEL.
The evolution version shipped with my distribution had some serious
gtk-related issues, so I tried to backport the latest-possible
evolution version.
I ended up with evolution 3.20, which is still fairly old.

Here's some examples of related package versions on my box:

gnome-shell-3.14.4-53.el7.x86_64
webkitgtk3-devel-2.4.9-6.el7.x86_64
gtk3-devel-3.14.13-20.el7_3.1.x86_64

I would not mind backporting some referenced libraries, build tools
etc., but dependencies of the newer evolution version went deep into
gnome, so that I would have had to use entirely my own gnome
installation which I did not want (since this usually creates lots of
issues and conflicts with other packages).

I usually use the .src.rpm files for Fedora that I get on rpmfind.net
as a basis, and I may have to adapt this and that. Maybe the
dependencies listed there are not what is actually really needed?

I would really like to have an up-to-date evolution version, but so
far this has been pretty much out of reach for me.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Dietze
1. Vorsitzender
Deutsch-Ukrainischer Kulturverein e.V.
http://www.deutsch-ukrainischer-kulturverein.de/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improvements since version 3.18

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 11:10 +0200, Martin Dietze wrote:
> I usually use the .src.rpm files for Fedora that I get on rpmfind.net
> as a basis, and I may have to adapt this and that. Maybe the
> dependencies listed there are not what is actually really needed?

        Hi,
that 'there' means rpmfind or the .spec file? The .spec file is
correct.

I forgot of one important change when writing the previous post,
the switch to WebKit2 (from WebKit1 usage), which is the reason why you
stopped on 3.20.x, because WebKit2 (Fedora has it packages as
webkitgtk4) is very new (the other main dependencies like glib2 and
gtk3 are not for that latest code). My fault, I'm sorry for confusion.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Loading...