Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Evolution version: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Greetings,

I've noticed that the side bar in the mail view in my instance of
Evolution has inconsistent usage of the icons available.

The images can be found here: https://pasteboard.co/IaSTsPk.png

Notice a couple of things immediately:

1. The archive folder doesn't use a filing cabinet (even though
Evolution recognizes this folder as my archive).

2. The current folder indicators (the region above the folder tree in
the sidebar) are very inconsistent in the usage of icons and the size
of the icons. Some icons aren't used and some are 32x32 (maybe?) while
others are 16x16.

I can't find discussion of it on GitLab, so I thought I'd check here to
see if plans to fix it are already in the works.

Thanks!
Jason Franklin

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

On Fri, 2019-04-19 at 13:06 -0400, Jason Franklin wrote:

> Evolution version: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
>
> I've noticed that the side bar in the mail view in my instance of
> Evolution has inconsistent usage of the icons available.
>
> The images can be found here: https://pasteboard.co/IaSTsPk.png
>
> Notice a couple of things immediately:
>
> 1. The archive folder doesn't use a filing cabinet (even though
> Evolution recognizes this folder as my archive).

If the icon theme offers a "filing cabinet" (no idea), feel free to
file an enhancement request:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

> 2. The current folder indicators (the region above the folder tree in
> the sidebar) are very inconsistent in the usage of icons

Feel free to file an enhancement request:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

> and the size of the icons. Some icons aren't used and some are 32x32
> (maybe?) while others are 16x16.

Does the size problem also happen when using the default (Adwaita) icon
theme? If it does not then feel free to file a bug in the issue tracker
of your distribution which provides that icon theme.

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

It does:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/blob/master/data/icons/hicolor_actions_16x16_mail-archive.png

> Does the size problem also happen when using the default (Adwaita) icon
> theme? If it does not then feel free to file a bug in the issue tracker
> of your distribution which provides that icon theme.

I'm not sure how to answer this.  How could I check the default icon
theme?  I searched the help to no avail.

Looks like there are two enhancement requests to file:

1. Use the proper icon for the archive folder in the side bar.
2. Fix the size and usage of icons in the current folder indicator.

Just to be clear: Do I file these with the Evolution project on GitLab,
or with the issue tracker for Ubuntu?  You mention my distribution's
issue tracker.  Just trying to get my next action right.

Thanks,
Jason Franklin

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Sorry.  It looks like part of the quoted text in my last reply was cut
off.

On Fri, 2019-04-19 at 15:30 -0400, Jason Franklin wrote:
> How could I check the default icon theme?

Since you are using Ubuntu, first of all install the icon theme,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/adwaita-icon-theme.

Then ensure that your window manager/desktop environment session does
use the icon theme.

It depends on your window manager or desktop environment how to do this.

Assuming you should use a common window manager and no desktop
environment at all, $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini probably
gtk-icon-theme-name=Adwaita does the job. I suspect the icon them is
just called "Adwaita".

On my Arch Linux install, running openbox it's

$ grep gtk-icon-theme-name= $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
gtk-icon-theme-name=Sardi-Mono-Papirus-Colora-Havelock

IOW another theme.

> Do I file these with the Evolution project on GitLab,
> or with the issue tracker for Ubuntu?

It depends. Without further investigation, it's impossible to answer
that question.

If you are using the Unity or GNOME desktop environment, or what ever
should be the default for your Ubuntu (flavour) release, there should be
a settings dialog to chose the desired icon theme.

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Ralf and Andre,

I was able to experiment with the Adwaita icon theme.

I discovered three things:

1. The archive folder also does not use a filing cabinet under
   Adwaita.
2. The current folder indicator does not make consistent
   use of icons under Adwaita.
3. The size of the current folder indicator icons IS consistent
   under Adwaita.

I filed issues regarding #1 and #2 on GitLab.  How to proceed with #3?

Thanks,
Jason Franklin

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Ángel González
On 2019-04-19 at 20:48 -0400, Jason Franklin wrote:
> Ralf and Andre,
>
> I was able to experiment with the Adwaita icon theme.
>
> I discovered three things:
(...)
> 3. The size of the current folder indicator icons IS consistent
>    under Adwaita.
>
> I filed issues regarding #1 and #2 on GitLab.  How to proceed with #3?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Franklin

Which icon theme were you using before? What formats and sizes does it
provide for those "bad icons" ?

My guess is that you were using a theme that did not provide both 16x16
and 32x32 for some icons, so it used what was available, and thus should
be fixed at the icon theme. OTOH, perhaps there was a better approach
that evolution should have used.

Kind regards

Re: Inconsistent use of icons in mail side bar

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Angel,

> Which icon theme were you using before? What formats and sizes does it
> provide for those "bad icons" ?
>
> My guess is that you were using a theme that did not provide both 16x16
> and 32x32 for some icons, so it used what was available, and thus should
> be fixed at the icon theme. OTOH, perhaps there was a better approach
> that evolution should have used.

I was using the "Ubuntu-mono-dark" theme.  I am not sure how to check
what size of icons are available in this icon theme.

The size problem did not occur with the Adwaita theme.

Best,
Jason Franklin