Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

James R. Martin

I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and

extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how to install it?

James

James R. Martin

J. Martin Associates

5185 Tara Ln., Bossier City, LA 71111 - 7810

Phone: (318) 752-4109 Cell Phone: ( 318) 773-9484

e-mail: [hidden email]

Web Site: www.jmartinassocites.net

http://jmartinassociates.dyndns-at-home.com:83/images/nth_theme_business_modern_3dgold_hr.gif

Re: Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 11:11 -0500, James R. Martin wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded
> evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and

So you downloaded a *source code* tarball of Evolution (and source code
needs to get compiled first to be executed as a program).
And just for the records, 3.12.4 is the latest stable Evolution version.

> extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how
> to install it?

If you really want to do this and know what you are doing:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/install-from-source/
But if you have never compiled and installed source code tarballs and
their dependencies, then this is nothing to recommend.

Instead, take the pre-compiled package provided by your distribution and
install that one.

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

James R. Martin

Andre:

Thanks for the reply,  I did install the evolution provided by the distro but have trouble getting it to work with

suddenlink.  I set it for POP

POP (inbound)

IMAP (inbound)

Incoming Mail Server: pop.suddenlink.net
Incoming mail port: 110
Incoming mail port (SSL): 995

Incoming Mail Server: imap.suddenlink.net
Incoming mail port: 143
Incoming mail port (SSL): 993

SMTP (outbound)

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.suddenlink.net
                       Outgoing mail port: 25 or 587

Outgoing mail port (SSL): 465

also tried IMAP it prompt for password but does not connect.  Thunderbird works.

I am running RoboLinux based on Debian in Oracle VM VirtualBox on a Dell Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

machine.  Outlook 2007 is running in windows and works fine but I am planning to change to

Linux and want to use Evolution email, calendar, task and memo.

I am checking everything out before I switch.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Have a great day.

James

James R. Martin

J. Martin Associates

5185 Tara Ln., Bossier City, LA 71111 - 7810

Phone: (318) 752-4109 Cell Phone: ( 318) 773-9484

e-mail: [hidden email]

Web Site: www.jmartinassocites.net

http://jmartinassociates.dyndns-at-home.com:83/images/nth_theme_business_modern_3dgold_hr.gif

On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 11:11 -0500, James R. Martin wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded

> evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and

So you downloaded a *source code* tarball of Evolution (and source code needs to get compiled first to be executed as a program).

And just for the records, 3.12.4 is the latest stable Evolution version.

> extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how

> to install it?

If you really want to do this and know what you are doing:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/install-from-source/

But if you have never compiled and installed source code tarballs and their dependencies, then this is nothing to recommend.

Instead, take the pre-compiled package provided by your distribution and install that one.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

Tim Wescott
On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 12:34 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 11:11 -0500, James R. Martin wrote:
> > I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded
> > evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and
>
> So you downloaded a *source code* tarball of Evolution (and source code
> needs to get compiled first to be executed as a program).
> And just for the records, 3.12.4 is the latest stable Evolution version.
>
> > extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how
> > to install it?
>
> If you really want to do this and know what you are doing:
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/install-from-source/
> But if you have never compiled and installed source code tarballs and
> their dependencies, then this is nothing to recommend.
>
> Instead, take the pre-compiled package provided by your distribution and
> install that one.

Ubuntu decided to disable bogofilter for Evolution in Ubuntu 13.10, and
carried this policy over to 14.04.

So if you want Bogofilter, you must do something outside of Ubuntu's
blessed way.

I just "upgraded" to 14.04, and am faced with becoming a sysadmin to get
Spamassassin working, or to submit to the Apple-like joys of only using
the software that some god-like organization deems is correct for me.  I
don't like either choice.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

Tim Wescott
On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 12:34 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 11:11 -0500, James R. Martin wrote:
> > I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded
> > evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and
>
> So you downloaded a *source code* tarball of Evolution (and source code
> needs to get compiled first to be executed as a program).
> And just for the records, 3.12.4 is the latest stable Evolution version.
>
> > extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how
> > to install it?
>
> If you really want to do this and know what you are doing:
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/install-from-source/
> But if you have never compiled and installed source code tarballs and
> their dependencies, then this is nothing to recommend.
>
> Instead, take the pre-compiled package provided by your distribution and
> install that one.

Sorry for the previous effusion of snark -- I'm really not happy with
Ubuntu at the moment over the whole bogofilter thing.

Can you suggest the least painful way of getting a version of Evolution
working on Ubuntu 14.04 that has a working bogofilter interface?

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
Phone: 503.631.7815
Cell:  503.349.8432

Re: Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

Matthew Barnes
On Mon, 2014-08-11 at 15:15 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Can you suggest the least painful way of getting a version of Evolution
> working on Ubuntu 14.04 that has a working bogofilter interface?

Ubuntu being a Debian-based distribution, you might try grabbing it from
Debian.

https://packages.debian.org/testing/evolution

Matthew Barnes