Invoking filters automatically

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I want to congratulate everyone of this great tool that
helps me stay productive during the day, and keep up with tons of
emails and appointments.

I have a list of filters like so:
Move to Folder / Personal / Github (enabled, for account
[hidden email])
   If all the following conditions are met
      Date received is before 3 days ago
      Sender contains [hidden email]
   Then
      Move to Folder [hidden email]/Automated Emails/Github

The objective of this filter is move old emails to a folder, but I want
them to stay on inbox for a while, so I can read them without going
through the folders, but evolution only processes emails with the "new"
flag.
So my solution right now is to select all messages and run apply
filters. Altough this works its kinda tedious and I always keep
forgetting to do this, so my Inbox gets cluttered real fast.

So is there a way to invoke the filters automatically?
Can It been from the command line even ?

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares

Re: Invoking filters automatically

Pete Biggs

> The objective of this filter is move old emails to a folder, but I want
> them to stay on inbox for a while, so I can read them without going
> through the folders, but evolution only processes emails with the "new"
> flag.
> So my solution right now is to select all messages and run apply
> filters. Altough this works its kinda tedious and I always keep
> forgetting to do this, so my Inbox gets cluttered real fast.
>
> So is there a way to invoke the filters automatically?

No, filters can only be applied to new mail. I can think of lots of
reasons why filters shouldn't be periodically applied - like when a
filter says 'copy' you will end up with a copy of the email every time
the filter is automatically run.  Also if you filter on content, every
single mail will have to be downloaded, which might be a problem for
large mailboxes.  I know *you* don't do this in your filters, but it
has the potential to cause more problems than it solves.

There are other options though. You can only show the last 5 days
messages in the folder - the messages are still there, but it can
declutter the folder.  Or you could leave the messages where they are
and use a search folder to only show you the messages you want to see
(basically the inverse of your filter).

Re: Invoking filters automatically

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello Pete,

Thank you for your answer.

I know there are reasons that filters should not run automatically, the
points you made make all the sense, but there are some expections:

Since I do select all on inbox and do apply filters, everything works,
for me, its the a manual process that could be made on a cron job.
Doing manually also contemplates the danger of a copy for example, I do
not do copyies over folders, I use labels for that.
When cailling automatically, you could specifiy the filters you want to
run, a think you cannot do right now.

A search folder would not work, i will not categorize my email, and I
will keep my inbox cluttered, and for me that is essential to have,
since I use my email on mobile and other clients, so having a clean
inbox is a must.

So if there is not a way to to this, I may look into other
alternatives, if there is please send me your recomendations.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares