Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?

Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

RE: Evolution 3.22.6 (Linux/Xfce Desktop): Can I rearrange the context menu?

Query: Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?

For example: In Thunderbird there is a convenient Delete button when a message is highlighted.

In Evolution, when I highlight an email for deletion I must right click on it, and then the context menu comes up. I have to momentarily search for the Delete option. It would be easier (quicker) if I can either color the Delete option (which I can’t find how to do) or simply place the Delete option at the top of the context box as it’s the most common item I use.

Thanks.

Re: Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:02 -0400, Tom Lands via evolution-list wrote:
> RE: Evolution 3.22.6 (Linux/Xfce Desktop): Can I rearrange the
> context menu?

Since version 3.34, see "Help > Contents > Common Other Questions and
Problems > Customizing tool bar and menu items". Raw file:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/raw/master/help/C/customize-ui-items.page

> For example: In Thunderbird there is a convenient Delete button when
> a message is highlighted.

Same in Evolution's tool bar. :)

> In Evolution, when I highlight an email for deletion I must right
> click on it, and then the context menu comes up.

No, you can also use the Delete button in the main toolbar and you can
also press the Delete button on your keyboard.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:02 -0400, Tom Lands via evolution-list wrote:

> RE: Evolution 3.22.6 (Linux/Xfce Desktop): Can I rearrange the context menu?
>

> Query: Is there a way to rearrange the context menu when I right click?
>

> For example: In Thunderbird there is a convenient Delete button when a
> message is highlighted.
>

> In Evolution, when I highlight an email for deletion I must right click
> on it, and then the context menu comes up. I have to momentarily search
> for the Delete option. It would be easier (quicker) if I can either
> color the Delete option (which I can’t find how to do) or simply place
> the Delete option at the top of the context box as it’s the most common
> item I use.

3.22 is several years out of date, but in current versions (3.36, 3.38)
you can either hit Ctrl-D, or click on the Trash can icon at the top of
the window. I think the same is true for 3.22 but don't remember.

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 11:29 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > In Evolution, when I highlight an email for deletion I must right
> > click on it, and then the context menu comes up.
>
> No, you can also use the Delete button in the main toolbar and you can
> also press the Delete button on your keyboard.

Hi,

"deleting" a message by keeping it, so that it is still available by the
"show deleted messages" option and the virtual trash folder, is probably
what the original poster is looking for, but I dislike the term
"deletion" for Evolution's behaviour, since Evolution actually doesn't
delete mails this way.

In the computer realm "moving to trash" is usually distinguished from
"deletion", a deletion sometimes even is a "shredding", but at least a
"deletion" isn't archiving documents in a trash bin.

Regards,
Ralf