Keep getting "Empty cache file" errors.

Monish Rai
Hi All,

Evolution Version: 3.22.6

I keep getting error messages like below:

Empty cache file: /home/mrai/.cache/evolution/mail/1527135157.19520.2@mrai-linux-oracle/folders/Trash/cur/26/482530
Execution of filter 'Patch' failed: Empty cache file: /home/mrai/.cache/evolution/mail/1527135157.19520.2@mrai-linux-oracle/folders/Trash/cur/26/482530

The Filter called Patch is like below:
Find items which match: (specific header) Reply-To contains [hidden email].
Move to folder some-account/Trash

Thanks.

Re: Keep getting "Empty cache file" errors.

Milan Crha
On Fri, 2018-06-01 at 08:30 -0600, Monish Rai wrote:
> Evolution Version: 3.22.6
>
> I keep getting error messages like below:
> Execution of filter 'Patch' failed: Empty cache file: /home/...

        Hi,
there had been done (sadly several) changes around this in the past,
some after 3.22.x series. I suggest to update to the latest stable,
which is 3.28.x series. One workaround could be to limit concurrent
connections to 1 in account Properties, but it didn't always help (if I
recall correctly) and it has a downside of slower responses on user
actions which involve message download, folder update, saving changes
to the server and so on.

Re: Keep getting "Empty cache file" errors.

Monish Rai
Hi Milan,

On Oracle Linux 7.5 (which is the latest release), 3.22.6 is the latest version of evolution in the yum repo.

What process should I follow to upgrade to 3.28.x safely.

Thanks.

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 23:49 -0600, Monish Rai wrote:
> What process should I follow to upgrade to 3.28.x safely.

        Hi,
such questions come often here and they usually end in something like:
- ask your distribution maintainers to update the stack to latest stable
- ask your distribution to backport relevant patches
- use distribution which provides latest stable
- build yourself (least preferred, because it means something like [1]).

I can add to the list also the Flatpak build [2], which has its
downsides as well.

The [1] also contains sort of explanation why it's not trivial for the
distributions to update only evolution.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak

Re: Keep getting "Empty cache file" errors.

> On Oracle Linux 7.5 (which is the latest release), 3.22.6 is the
> latest version of evolution in the yum repo.
>
> What process should I follow to upgrade to 3.28.x safely.

Oracle Linux is a RHEL clone so unless RH upgrades Evolution, Oracle
Linux will stay at that version.  As Milan said upgrading Evolution,
and it's backend components, is not a trivail thing and since the whole
point of enterprise distros like RHEL/CentOS/SL/Oracle is to maintain a
stable, known, consistent code base for its life time, it is not likely
that they will upgrade Evo.

BTW, have you looked through the list archives.  There have been
threads on this error in the past and some of it may contain ideas to
help the situation.  Specifically some people have improved things by
changing the number of concurrent IMAP connections to 1, but it's not a
fix in all cases. It looks like there were some threads around Aug 2016
and Jan/April 2015.