Linux Mint, Flatpak Evolution and LibreOffice

Linux Mint, Flatpak Evolution and LibreOffice

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=19.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=tricia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="19.3 (Tricia)"

Flatpak 1.8.2
Flatpak-Builder 1.0.11

Evolution 3.38.2 (flatpak git5224ef6)

LibreOffice  7.0.1.2

Ok.. I had everything working with LibreOffice 6.4.6.   LibreOffice components would launch correctly from the flatpak build of
Evolution  ( meaning  the button associated with attachments  offering save or open with default application ).

Then  everything updated,  which broke the launching of "default applications" .   I'm thinking the update  of LibreOffice from 6.x to
7.x  didn't set up the defaults correctly, but Evolution is the only thing not launching LibreOffice,  which makes me wonder if
something in the flatpak environment is the problem.

Suggestions on where to look first ?

I'm also presuming that if I have multiple flatpak  items  ( Evolution and LibreOffice ),  they each  get their own environments, correct?

Thanks
MIke

Re: Linux Mint, Flatpak Evolution and LibreOffice

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 12:32 -0500, Japhering, Anonymous via evolution-
list wrote:
> Suggestions on where to look first ?

        Hi,
it's done through portals. Evo only tells GLib to launch default
application and it can, eventually, open a dialog with a question which
application should be used, usually when there are more registered for
the same MIME type. Thus you might check what applications are
registered what the actual MIME type of the attachment (the Content-
Type header of the attachment, if it is set there properly; it doesn't
need to be, the actual MIME type can be guessed from the content of
that attachment). You might make sure the correct application is
registered for the respective MIME/content type.

I do not recall exact commands, but if you search this message list
archive for xdg-open, then you'll find some threads discussing this in
detail.

> I'm also presuming that if I have multiple flatpak  items  (
> Evolution and LibreOffice ),  they each  get their own environments,
> correct?

Correct, each Flatpak application runs in its own sandbox. They can
talk to the outer world, using the portals or their own (usually D-Bus)
API.