Locale lost, flatpak version

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Suddenly, my evolution GUI is in English. I think this coincides with
an upgrade.

Other GTK programs, such as synaptic, or the gnome control center,
aren't affected.

I'm using the Flatpak version, 3.36.0 (by Flathub.org).

desktop ~ $ flatpak config
languages: *unset* (default: de)

desktop ~ $ flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

(process:27): Gtk-WARNING **: 02:41:11.623: Locale not supported by C
library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
(...)

desktop ~ $ echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8

The message (above) looks like the German locale isn't installed. Can
it be missing in the Flatpak package?

Setting "languages", with "flatpak config --set languages de_DE.UTF-8",
doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Volker

Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 02:57 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> The message (above) looks like the German locale isn't installed. Can
> it be missing in the Flatpak package?

        Hi,
I believe it is in Flatpak itself. I doubt you can revert update in
flatpak (I'm not using it that much to know, I'm sorry). There had been
some locale-specific issue reported in flatpak too, try to search the
Internet (I'd use the working as "flatpak" and the actual error
message) , though I didn't follow that closely. Maybe they've been
fixed, maybe not; maybe they cured on their own (possibly after another
update).

Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Thomas Mittelstaedt

Am 30.03.2020 02:57 schrieb Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:

Hi!

Suddenly, my evolution GUI is in English. I think this coincides with
an upgrade.

Other GTK programs, such as synaptic, or the gnome control center,
aren't affected.

I'm using the Flatpak version, 3.36.0 (by Flathub.org).

maybe, the following helps:

https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1751#issuecomment-399082832

"It turns out that org.gnome.Platform.Locale was not installed. Manually installing it solves the problem. My flatpak.json looks like this:"

desktop ~ $ flatpak config
languages: *unset* (default: de)

desktop ~ $ flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

(process:27): Gtk-WARNING **: 02:41:11.623: Locale not supported by C
library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
(...)

desktop ~ $ echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8

The message (above) looks like the German locale isn't installed. Can
it be missing in the Flatpak package?

Setting "languages", with "flatpak config --set languages de_DE.UTF-8",
doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Volker

Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 21:19 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Am 30.03.2020 02:57 schrieb Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Suddenly, my evolution GUI is in English. I think this coincides with
> > an upgrade.
> >
> > Other GTK programs, such as synaptic, or the gnome control center,
> > aren't affected.
> >
> > I'm using the Flatpak version, 3.36.0 (by Flathub.org).
> >

> maybe, the following helps:
>
> https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1751#issuecomment-399082832
>

> "It turns out that org.gnome.Platform.Locale was not installed. Manually installing it solves the problem. My flatpak.json looks like this:"

[...]

Please stop posting to the list in HTML, or at least add a plaintext
option.

Thank you.

(SOLVED) Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Volker Wysk
Hi there!

Am Montag, den 30.03.2020, 21:19 +0200 schrieb tmstaedt@t-
mittelstaedt.de:

> Am 30.03.2020 02:57 schrieb Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Suddenly, my evolution GUI is in English. I think this coincides
> > with
> > an upgrade.
> >
> > Other GTK programs, such as synaptic, or the gnome control center,
> > aren't affected.
> >
> > I'm using the Flatpak version, 3.36.0 (by Flathub.org).
> >

> maybe, the following helps:
>
> https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1751#issuecomment-399082832
>

> "It turns out that org.gnome.Platform.Locale was not installed.
> Manually installing it solves the problem. My flatpak.json looks like
> this:"

I have been able to get the German localisation back. I've done this:

    sudo flatpak install org.gnome.Platform.Locale

and have chosen this:

    runtime/org.gnome.Platform.Locale/x86_64/3.34

In other words, I've downgraded org.gnome.Platform.Locale from 3.36 to
3.34.

I don't really understand what this means. It's guesswork.

Thanks for your help!

Volker

Re: (SOLVED) Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Thomas Mittelstaedt
You could file an issue at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new. That's a link from the evolution flathub page. GNOME 3.36 is pretty fresh, so you may have discovered a problem.

Am 31.03.2020 18:00 schrieb Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:

Hi there!

Am Montag, den 30.03.2020, 21:19 +0200 schrieb tmstaedt@t-
mittelstaedt.de:

> Am 30.03.2020 02:57 schrieb Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Suddenly, my evolution GUI is in English. I think this coincides
> > with
> > an upgrade.
> >
> > Other GTK programs, such as synaptic, or the gnome control center,
> > aren't affected.
> >
> > I'm using the Flatpak version, 3.36.0 (by Flathub.org).
> >

> maybe, the following helps:
>
> https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1751#issuecomment-399082832
>

> "It turns out that org.gnome.Platform.Locale was not installed.
> Manually installing it solves the problem. My flatpak.json looks like
> this:"

I have been able to get the German localisation back. I've done this:

    sudo flatpak install org.gnome.Platform.Locale

and have chosen this:

    runtime/org.gnome.Platform.Locale/x86_64/3.34

In other words, I've downgraded org.gnome.Platform.Locale from 3.36 to
3.34.

I don't really understand what this means. It's guesswork.

Thanks for your help!

Volker

Re: (SOLVED) Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 18:52 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> You could file an issue at
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new. That's a link
> from the evolution flathub page. GNOME 3.36 is pretty fresh, so you
> may have discovered a problem.

tmstaedt: Please fix your email client to include a plain text version,
and please do not top-post. Thanks.

Re: (SOLVED) Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Volker Wysk
Am Dienstag, den 31.03.2020, 18:52 +0200 schrieb tmstaedt@t-
mittelstaedt.de:
> You could file an issue at
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new. That's a link
> from the evolution flathub page. GNOME 3.36 is pretty fresh, so you
> may have discovered a problem.

Done.

Volker

Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

Thomas Mittelstaedt
Test: sending response in plain text attachment, since Gmail app on Android always sends as HTML.

Editor.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: (SOLVED) Re: Locale lost, flatpak version

On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 18:52 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> You could file an issue at
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new. That's a link
> from the evolution flathub page.

        Hi,
just a little correction: the link you gave manages Evolution as the
project, which doesn't provide Flathub.org binaries, that is hosted on
Flathub itself, but, more importantly, the problem reported was on the
GNOME Platform package, with which Evolution itself has absolutely
nothing to do, it only uses it, just like any/many other GNOME
application/s provided on Flathub.org (and eventually elsewhere). In
other words: flatpak issues should be filled in flatpak issue tracker,
Evolution issues should be filled in the Evolution issue tracker (or
eventually in the related subpart of it). From the ops information: the
fix was done by absolutely no change on the Evolution side.

On Wed, 2020-04-01 at 09:03 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Test: sending response in plain text attachment, "Python filesince Gmail app on Android always sends as HTML.

Sending an attachment is not the same as using multipart/alternative.
I have Evo configured to show text/plain when available, but in this
case it showed the HTML by default, since that was the only option for
the body of the message.

I don't know how to achieve this using the Android Gmail app, but I
know that the web version of Gmail does work when you set the default
style to 'TT'.

The attachment showed as "Python file", though I was able to read it
inline as text. However this is less than ideal.