Losing settings

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
1. When I update new settings in Calendar etc they are lost when I shut down evolution and restart it.
How can I save settings permanently please?
2. Every time I start or refresh Evolution it re-downloads all messages etc, which takes a long time.
Why cannot Evolution just update the NEW messages only (like in Thunderbird etc)?
Thank you for the wonderful Evolution. (3.22.6 version in MX Linux)

Re: Losing settings

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 08:48 +1000, Theo Bao via evolution-list wrote:
> 1. When I update new settings in Calendar etc they are lost when I
> shut down evolution and restart it.
> How can I save settings permanently please?

Please provide a specific example.

> 2. Every time I start or refresh Evolution it re-downloads all
> messages etc, which takes a long time.

Which kind of email account (POP, IMAP, etc) is that about?
What does "re-download" mean? Even without opening a message?

> Why cannot Evolution just update the NEW messages only (like in
> Thunderbird etc)?

Hard to say without more information. Could be that your mail server is
broken, or that your Evolution settings could be changed.

> Thank you for the wonderful Evolution. (3.22.6 version in MX Linux)

Just for the records, that version is many years old.

Re: Losing settings

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 08:48 +1000, Theo Bao via evolution-list wrote:
> 1. When I update new settings in Calendar etc they are lost when I shut
> down evolution and restart it.
> How can I save settings permanently please?
> 2. Every time I start or refresh Evolution it re-downloads all messages
> etc, which takes a long time.
> Why cannot Evolution just update the NEW messages only (like in
> Thunderbird etc)?

That's very suspicious. It makes me wonder if there's something wrong
with your setup. Have you changed the default location for Evolution?
Is your home directory writeable? Are there any relevant entries in the
system log?

Maybe try running Evo from the command line and looking at the terminal
output.

Re: Losing settings

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi and thank you for replying.
I have reinstalled EVO as a Flatpak usinf latest version.
It appears to be ok now.
My previous version was form Debian repo version 2.33.xx

--
___

Confidentiality: The contents of this email and accompanying material is intended for the exclusive use of the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. If you are not the addressee please do not copy, act on, or distribute this email. If you have received this email in error, please inform us immediately by return email and delete all material pertaining to this email. The unauthorised use of this email may result in liability for breach of confidentiality privilege or copyright.

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 12:43 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 08:48 +1000, Theo Bao via evolution-list wrote:
1. When I update new settings in Calendar etc they are lost when I shut
down evolution and restart it.
How can I save settings permanently please?
2. Every time I start or refresh Evolution it re-downloads all messages
etc, which takes a long time.
Why cannot Evolution just update the NEW messages only (like in
Thunderbird etc)?

That's very suspicious. It makes me wonder if there's something wrong
with your setup. Have you changed the default location for Evolution?
Is your home directory writeable? Are there any relevant entries in the
system log?

Maybe try running Evo from the command line and looking at the terminal
output.

Re: Losing settings

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 11:45 +1000, Theo Bao via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi and thank you for replying.I have reinstalled EVO as a Flatpak usinf latest version.It appears to be ok now.My previous version was form Debian repo version 2.33.xx

OK, but note that Flatpak versions run in a sandbox and may have
problems communicating with the rest of your desktop, i.e. they are
isolated from the rest of the Gnome environment.

Re: Losing settings

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 11:45 +1000, Theo Bao via evolution-list wrote:
> My previous version was form Debian repo version 2.33.xx

That is impossible as 2.33.x never existed. Also, please avoid top-
posting and reply below any relevant quotes.

Thanks!,