Mail filter actions not applied properly (Assign, Color, forward).

Mail filter actions not applied properly (Assign, Color, forward).

Gaya
Hello,

I got a couple of problems with the mail filter. They might not be
related, but I'll state them below.
This is with the default evolution on Linux Mint 20, 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 ,
but has been there with older version on ubuntu 18.04.

I'm using this together with exchange but this seems to apply to IMAP
accounts as well.

1) When using more than one Action one action seems to not apply. The
order does not play a role, so I guess the actions have a priority
maybe.
Here I am assigning a color and move the mail from the incoming
drectory to another directory. The moving happens always fine, the
color is not assigned though.
If I manually move the mail back to incoming and re-run the filter, the
mail gets moved and the color is assigned.

So only the automated action does not work.
The description of the mail filter is as:

group_ticket (enabled, for account [hidden email])
   If all the following conditions are met
      Sender contains [hidden email]
      Recipients contains [hidden email]
   Then
      Assign Color [#00ff00]
      Move to Folder [hidden email]/group_ticket

While the log, enabled according to
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html.en
shows:
2020-11-09 12:12:10 - Applied filter "group_ticket" to message from
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> - "C3:P3 -
ticket123 - user2"
   Message source '04626bb5f2261319e29e551472b0aa3268e5f5de' does match
requested source '04626bb5f2261319e29e551472b0aa3268e5f5de'
   Header 'From' value ' <[hidden email]>' does match
'[hidden email]'
   Header 'To' value ' <[hidden email]>' does match
'[hidden email]'
   Finished test of message
uid:AAMkAGU1ZTRiZWZiLTU2N2YtNDgBi04MTRjLWM5NGY1NmE5NDdiNgBGAAAAAAA8yS7s
IIbdSLGXuyOi0qBqBwD62kfhvwC/S7J7ukSNK0BVAAAACE+BAABNep1ucgLnSIEaPJAntZ8
fAAGbvsU/AAA= subject:'C3:P3 - ticket123 - user2' from '[hidden email]
: Incoming' as MATCHED
   Filter 'group_ticket' matched

Action: Set color to #0000ffff0000
Action: Move to folder
folder://04626bb5f2261319e29e551472b0aa3268e5f5de/group_ticket
Action: Stopped processing
Stopped processing per request

2) Above problem applies for other actions as well like forwarding
messages and playing sounds, both seem to never be executed despite
matching, automatically or manually running the filters (CTRL+Y).
I tested though with only playing sound and can see that it doesn't
work at all, hence no sound it played.
Same log as above, no moving of messages:
2020-11-05 11:25:34 - Applied filter "important mails" to message from
My Boss Man <[hidden email]> - "Office move 28th and 29th November"
   Message source '04626bb5f2261319e29e551472b0aa3268e5f5de' does match
requested source '04626bb5f2261319e29e551472b0aa3268e5f5de'
   Header 'From' value ' My Boss Man <[hidden email]>' does not match
'[hidden email]'
   Header 'From' value ' My Boss Man <[hidden email]>' does match
'[hidden email]'
   Finished test of message
uid:AAMkAGU1ZTRiZWZiLTU2N2YtNDgzBi04MTRjLWM5NGY1NmE5NDdiNgBGAAAAAAA8yS7
sIIbdSLGXuyOi0qBqBwD62kfhvwC/S7J7ukSNK0BVAAAACE+BAABNep1ucgLnSIEaPJAntZ
8fAAGbvptWAAA= subject:'Office move 28th and 29th November' from
'[hidden email] : Incoming' as MATCHED
   Filter 'important mails' matched

Action: Set color to #f5f579790000
Action: Play sound

Behaviour is a little different:
Sometimes the color is not changed, but mostly it works.
The sound is never played.

In both cases 1) and 2) I can see that the filter is matching and the
actions that are supposed to apply, but the actions that are actually
executed are not logged.
How can I enable them? Or troubleshoot above problems of course.

BR

Gaya

Re: Mail filter actions not applied properly (Assign, Color, forward).

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-11-09 at 17:05 +0100, Gaya wrote:
> 1) When using more than one Action one action seems to not apply. The
> order does not play a role, so I guess the actions have a priority
> maybe.
> Here I am assigning a color and move the mail from the incoming
> drectory to another directory.

The order of filters plays a big role and explains what you're seeing.
See https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters.html

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Mail filter actions not applied properly (Assign, Color, forward).

On Mon, 2020-11-09 at 17:05 +0100, Gaya wrote:
> Sometimes the color is not changed, but mostly it works.

        Hi,
the color is a very specific thing of Evolution, it's not saved
anywhere but on the local machine, it doesn't have a server-side
counter part. Using Labels can help, because it has a server-side
counter part and you can even search with them. I do not say using
Color but not Label is wrong, it's fine to use it and it should work. I
also do not say the Labels will fix it. I agree with you that there is
a bug somewhere, especially when it mostly misbehaves only when the
filter rule is applied to truly new messages.

> The sound is never played.

See this thread:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-August/msg00004.html

Re: Mail filter actions not applied properly (Assign, Color, forward).

Gaya
Hi Milan,

honestly, I wasn't aware of your mentioned thread (well spotted!). Obviously, I am of course, but when I created it, I used an alias mail address in my mailserver and received a warning message. It was not the address I registered with and then I forgot about it until my next vacation ;)
I'll check on how to reply to it and do exactly that.

Regarding the color: I didn't care much for color vs label. I tested the label now and left it for a few hours to see that it does work fine. Even better I must say as I didn't consider this being a server setting. I can see the label color on other machines now too (good thing for me).

There seems to be a bug with the automatic color assignment color at least, if the labeling works fine this way.

Gaya

**Warning** This email contains suspicious content. Please take care to proceed.