Mail forwarding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mail forwarding

James Finnall
Hello,

I need to forward HTML messages that contain links or photos in the
message. At present they are being removed from the mail message.  The
recipient needs all of the information for the mail message to be of
any value.  I have located three different types of forwarding in the
preferences.  Attachment, Inline, and Quoted.  None of these however,
will provide me with what I need.  Any suggestions on what else I might
try?

Even my own system will not display it correctly from the Sent folder.
But it is displayed correctly upon arrival so I can view the message
properly.  Just not able to forward the message without it being
corrupted.

Thank you,
James


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 11:45 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> I need to forward HTML messages that contain links or photos in the
> message. At present they are being removed from the mail
> message.  The recipient needs all of the information for the mail
> message to be of any value.  I have located three different types of
> forwarding in the preferences.  Attachment, Inline, and Quoted.  None
> of these however, will provide me with what I need.  Any suggestions
> on what else I might try?

        Hi,
do you mean HTML messages, which have inline photos, that is, the photo
is part of the received message? I do not see any problem with links
(maybe apart they can be wrapped in some cases). The inline images
sound familiar, maybe it had been fixed already, some time ago.
What is your Evolution version, please?
        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: I ignore the later message from you with the same subject, it
looks similar, it is only in HTML, which is "less popular" on this
mailing list (try to avoid HTML messages here, please)


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

James Finnall
Version:  3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

When I forward a message, all that gets brought over is the raw text.
No links, embedded photos or anything html related.  

I used "View Source" on a message from this morning.  The references
were an offsite URL.  Like https://photos.google.com/share/........

There was also an Unsubscribe link that was an offsite URL as well.
That gets removed.  A couple of images to Google Play and Apple App
Store were removed.  They were also offsite URL references.

Since the purpose of the message was to share a photo and all the parts
were removed, then forwarding becomes worthless because the important
parts are not there.

I did not attempt to use the "Attachment" mode.  I need to modify the
Subject line and attachment mode uses the Subject line for the name of
the attachment with no opportunity for me to edit it.  I was not able
to even open the attachment it created.  When I attempted to open the
attachment it ran something called "Account Wizard" and wanted to setup
a mailbox account in Thunderbird.

Thank you for your consideration.
James




-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Crha via evolution-list <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail forwarding
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 18:48:58 +0200

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 11:45 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> I need to forward HTML messages that contain links or photos in the
> message. At present they are being removed from the mail
> message.  The recipient needs all of the information for the mail
> message to be of any value.  I have located three different types of
> forwarding in the preferences.  Attachment, Inline, and Quoted.  None
> of these however, will provide me with what I need.  Any suggestions
> on what else I might try?

        Hi,
do you mean HTML messages, which have inline photos, that is, the photo
is part of the received message? I do not see any problem with links
(maybe apart they can be wrapped in some cases). The inline images
sound familiar, maybe it had been fixed already, some time ago.
What is your Evolution version, please?
        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: I ignore the later message from you with the same subject, it
looks similar, it is only in HTML, which is "less popular" on this
mailing list (try to avoid HTML messages here, please)


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

Adam Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:42 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> Version:  3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 
> When I forward a message, all that gets brought over is the raw
> text. No links, embedded photos or anything html related.  

Is your reply going to plain/text mode?


--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

James Finnall
Not sure what you mean here.  I am doing a "forward" not a "reply".  It
does go to a plain text mode.  If I change it to HTML, the parts are
still removed.
James


-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Tauno Williams <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail forwarding
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 13:43:34 -0400

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:42 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> Version:  3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
> When I forward a message, all that gets brought over is the raw
> text. No links, embedded photos or anything html related.  

Is your reply going to plain/text mode?




_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

James Finnall
In reply to this post by Adam Tauno Williams
Not sure what you mean here.  I am doing a "forward" not a "reply".  It
does go to a plain text mode.  If I change it to HTML, the parts are
still removed.
James

Update:
Just now I attempted to do a "Reply" to the message.  The same effect
was presented.  Just the raw text was copied into the message.  None of
the HTML references were present.  If I switch to HTML mode the items
are still missing.

James


-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Tauno Williams <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail forwarding
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 13:43:34 -0400

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:42 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> Version:  3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
> When I forward a message, all that gets brought over is the raw
> text. No links, embedded photos or anything html related.  

Is your reply going to plain/text mode?




_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:56 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> It does go to a plain text mode.  If I change it to HTML, the parts
> are still removed.

        Hi,
that is correct behavior. When you convert the HTML message to the
Plain Text, then many things are removed from the message. Turning such
modified message from Plain Text to the HTML doesn't magically recover
the dropped formatting and such.

As users are asked whether they really want to lose formatting before
the convert from HTML to Plain Text is done and you didn't indicate
you've been asked for it, I support you answered once and checked "Do
not show again" in that dialog. Verify in Edit->Preferences->Composer
Preferences->Confirmations tab that the option "Before composer format
changes from HTML to Plain Text" is checked.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

James Finnall
Thank you Milan,
The option was not checked.
When I checked the box, I was presented with a dialog regarding
removing the HTML codes.  I didn't think it meant the message content
items though.  I just thought it was formatting codes.
That seems to have resolved the problem.
Thank you,
James


-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Crha via evolution-list <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail forwarding
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 07:50:08 +0200

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:56 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> It does go to a plain text mode.  If I change it to HTML, the parts
> are still removed.

        Hi,
that is correct behavior. When you convert the HTML message to the
Plain Text, then many things are removed from the message. Turning such
modified message from Plain Text to the HTML doesn't magically recover
the dropped formatting and such.

As users are asked whether they really want to lose formatting before
the convert from HTML to Plain Text is done and you didn't indicate
you've been asked for it, I support you answered once and checked "Do
not show again" in that dialog. Verify in Edit->Preferences->Composer
Preferences->Confirmations tab that the option "Before composer format
changes from HTML to Plain Text" is checked.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

James Finnall
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
The option to not show again does not function in the normal manner.
When I went to forward something it was back to where it was before.  I
checked the options and the box was cleared again.  So checking the box
not to show again does not remember what I selected, it actually
CHANGES what I selected for the next message because it modifies the
config and does not display again forcing plain text on all future
messages.

So I am forced to respond to the dialog every time I reply or forward
an html message.  Not what I desire to do.  I do not want it to ask me
every time but it should NOT change my config.

James


-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Crha via evolution-list <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Mail forwarding
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 07:50:08 +0200

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 13:56 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> It does go to a plain text mode.  If I change it to HTML, the parts
> are still removed.

        Hi,
that is correct behavior. When you convert the HTML message to the
Plain Text, then many things are removed from the message. Turning such
modified message from Plain Text to the HTML doesn't magically recover
the dropped formatting and such.

As users are asked whether they really want to lose formatting before
the convert from HTML to Plain Text is done and you didn't indicate
you've been asked for it, I support you answered once and checked "Do
not show again" in that dialog. Verify in Edit->Preferences->Composer
Preferences->Confirmations tab that the option "Before composer format
changes from HTML to Plain Text" is checked.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by James Finnall

> When I checked the box, I was presented with a dialog regarding
> removing the HTML codes.  I didn't think it meant the message content
> items though.  I just thought it was formatting codes.
>

Plain Text is just that - plain text, no HTML, no formatting. The links
to external images are HTML, so removing HTML will remove the links.
Once they are removed they are lost so switching back to HTML
afterwards can not restore the missing links.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mail forwarding

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by James Finnall
On Fri, 2019-05-10 at 08:57 -0400, James Finnall wrote:
> The option to not show again does not function in the normal manner.
> When I went to forward something it was back to where it was before.  I
> checked the options and the box was cleared again.  So checking the box
> not to show again does not remember what I selected, it actually
> CHANGES what I selected for the next message because it modifies the
> config and does not display again forcing plain text on all future
> messages.

It doesn't say "do you want to remember this setting and not ask again"
it says "do you want to be asked again".

>
> So I am forced to respond to the dialog every time I reply or forward
> an html message.  Not what I desire to do.  I do not want it to ask me
> every time but it should NOT change my config.
>

Edit -> Preferences -> Composer Preferences -> "Format messages in HTML"

That is where you permanently change the default format.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list