Mail port changed

Van Snyder
I have Evolution 3.28.5 (3.28.5-8.el7)  on Scientific Linux 7.10
(essentially the same as CentOS 7.10).

I set up accounts for imap on port 993. They kept getting "socket timed
out." So I checked the settings. They've back to POP on port 143. I
changed them back to 993 and then checked. They always go back to 143.
Except for one account, which keeps on working. The "Mail Accounts" tab
on the "Preferences" page shows "imapx" for all of them.

I tried re-installing evolution, but the same result ensues.

Re: Mail port changed

Pete Biggs
On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 12:11 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I have Evolution 3.28.5 (3.28.5-8.el7)  on Scientific Linux 7.10
> (essentially the same as CentOS 7.10).
>
> I set up accounts for imap on port 993. They kept getting "socket timed
> out." So I checked the settings. They've back to POP on port 143. I
> changed them back to 993 and then checked. They always go back to 143.

No, IMAP *is* port 143.  POP3 is port 110. Port 993 is IMAPS - i.e. SSL
connections to an IMAP server - you need to set the security/encryption
on the account to use "SSL on a dedicated port" and then it will set
the port to 993.

STARTTLS is different - it connects using the standard unencrpyted IMAP
port (143) and then switches to an encrypted connection once the
initial handshake is done.

> I tried re-installing evolution, but the same result ensues.

Re-installing really doesn't help - it is rare that any issues are to
do with corrupted installs. Virtually all problems are down to a user's
configuration and that is not affected if you delete or reinstall an
application.

Re: Mail port changed

On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 12:11 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I tried re-installing evolution, but the same result ensues.

Linux isn't Windows. 99.99% of the time this is pointless. All user
configuration data is preserved when you reinstall so you aren't
changing anything unless the original installation was actually broken,
which is extremely unlikely if your package system is working properly.