Mail server doesn't show up

12

Mail server doesn't show up

Van Snyder
I added two mail servers for a friend (one at yahoo.com, the other at
gmail.com).  The one for gmail appears in the left panel.  The one for
yahoo does not.  Everything in its preferences section looks fine.  Any
ideas?

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 19:29 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I added two mail servers for a friend (one at yahoo.com, the other at
> gmail.com).  The one for gmail appears in the left panel.  The one for
> yahoo does not.  Everything in its preferences section looks fine.  Any
> ideas?

How about stating which version of Evolution your friend has, and what
kind of accounts these are?

Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Siv
I have the same issue with 3 accounts appearing and in the settings but
one not showing in the pane down the left side. This was true under
Mint 18.3 and the older version of Evo. I upgraded to Mint 19 recently
and am now on Evo 3.28.1-2 and the issue is still there.

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Pete Biggs
On Sat, 2018-07-07 at 14:15 +0000, Siv wrote:
> I have the same issue with 3 accounts appearing and in the settings but
> one not showing in the pane down the left side. This was true under
> Mint 18.3 and the older version of Evo. I upgraded to Mint 19 recently
> and am now on Evo 3.28.1-2 and the issue is still there.

So, to reiterate Patrick, what sort of accounts are they? IMAP, POP,
something else?

Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Siv

Pete,
One EWS account and 2 IMAP accounts, it is one of the IMAP accounts
that does not display.

Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Van Snyder
On Sat, 2018-07-07 at 14:15 +0000, Siv wrote:

> I have the same issue with 3 accounts appearing and in the settings but
> one not showing in the pane down the left side. This was true under
> Mint 18.3 and the older version of Evo. I upgraded to Mint 19 recently
> and am now on Evo 3.28.1-2 and the issue is still there.

The gmail account is imap.  It works.  The setup wizard chose pop3 for
the yahoo account.  I pushed the button to check for authentication, and
it didn't respond.  So I tried imap (and changed the server address to
imap.yahoo.com) and it responded quickly.  But the account still didn't
appear in the left panel.

When I push the button to send queued mail and refresh inboxes, it shows
both the yahoo and gmail accounts in the progress window.

I think the evolution version is fairly old -- it's whatever is bundled
with Scientific Linux 6.9.

Is there a work-around?

> poc

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Pete Biggs

> The gmail account is imap.  It works.  The setup wizard chose pop3 for
> the yahoo account.  I pushed the button to check for authentication, and
> it didn't respond.  So I tried imap (and changed the server address to
> imap.yahoo.com) and it responded quickly.  But the account still didn't
> appear in the left panel.
>
> When I push the button to send queued mail and refresh inboxes, it shows
> both the yahoo and gmail accounts in the progress window.

POP accounts don't have their own entry in the side bar. POP as a
protocol sucks mail from a server and the mail actually resides on your
local machine - with IMAP the mail stays on the server.  Consequently a
POP account (in fact all POP accounts) mail is in the "On This
Computer" folders.

As for changing the server type - it usually doesn't work well once
things are setup. Try deleting the account and starting again.  You
might do well to shutdown Evolution to let things catch up - you may
have to go further (like logging out) since there are some background
processes that may need to re-read the configuration.

> I think the evolution version is fairly old -- it's whatever is bundled
> with Scientific Linux 6.9.

Unfortunately there are so many different Linux versions and distros
out there that giving the distro info doesn't mean much to most people.

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

> Pete,
> One EWS account and 2 IMAP accounts, it is one of the IMAP accounts
> that does not display.

A basic question, are all the accounts enabled in Edit->Preferences?
(It's possible to accidentally click on the Enabled tick box and the
account disappears from the list.)

On Sat, 2018-07-07 at 20:06 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I think the evolution version is fairly old -- it's whatever is bundled
> with Scientific Linux 6.9.

See Help->About.

Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Siv

There are 5 things in the list, the 3 email accounts which are all
ticked and "Search Folders" and "On This Computer" which are both
unticked.

Siv
Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Siv

Actually reading the above made me double check the account types and
actually I lied, the account that is missing is a POP3 account (I had
it set up as IMAP originally when it was under Windows 10 and when I
switched to Linux Mint I must have selected POP3) so that would explain
why I can't see it, as under Outlook on Windows, the account does have
its own tree in the left-hand panel. I hadn't realised what the purpose
of "On This Computer" was. Outlook creates a tree for the pop3 account
as well as having "Personal Folders" which I assume is the same as "On
This PC".

How does this work if you have multiple POP3 accounts do they all
appear as one amorphous mass in "On This PC"? I would think it makes
more sense for Evo to do it the same as Outlook as it's less confusing?

Siv

On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 11:43 +0000, Siv wrote:
> How does this work if you have multiple POP3 accounts do they all
> appear as one amorphous mass in "On This PC"? I would think it makes
> more sense for Evo to do it the same as Outlook as it's less confusing?

It's easy to set up filters to do this for you.

See Help->Separating POP mail for more than one account.

On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 11:20 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Pete,
> > One EWS account and 2 IMAP accounts, it is one of the IMAP accounts
> > that does not display.
> >

> A basic question, are all the accounts enabled in Edit->Preferences?
> (It's possible to accidentally click on the Enabled tick box and the
> account disappears from the list.)

They're both enabled.

> P.

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

> Actually reading the above made me double check the account types and
> actually I lied, the account that is missing is a POP3 account (I had
> it set up as IMAP originally when it was under Windows 10 and when I
> switched to Linux Mint I must have selected POP3) so that would explain
> why I can't see it, as under Outlook on Windows, the account does have
> its own tree in the left-hand panel. I hadn't realised what the purpose
> of "On This Computer" was. Outlook creates a tree for the pop3 account
> as well as having "Personal Folders" which I assume is the same as "On
> This PC".
>
> How does this work if you have multiple POP3 accounts do they all
> appear as one amorphous mass in "On This PC"? I would think it makes
> more sense for Evo to do it the same as Outlook as it's less confusing?

POP means "post office protocol". The concept behind it is that it
works like the post office: you have a mailbox in the post office that
all your mail is delivered into and you retrieve it from there. That's
all it does. You can go and get your mail and parcels from USPS or UPS
or whoever but they all end up in the same place - your hands! (It's a
30 year old protocol, give me some slack!)

That is why Evolution puts everything into your Inbox "On this
Computer" ready for you to sort through (either physically or
automatically).  All Outlook is doing is automatically sorting it
whether you want it to or not.

POP3 features / Re: Mail server doesn't show up

RFC 1939  - POP3 says there is the DELE command, with which a client
can decide to leave the email on the server or delete it.

Greetings
  Дилян

Siv

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Siv

> POP means "post office protocol". The concept behind it is that it
> works like the post office: you have a mailbox in the post office
> that
> all your mail is delivered into and you retrieve it from there.
> That's
> all it does. You can go and get your mail and parcels from USPS or
> UPS
> or whoever but they all end up in the same place - your hands! (It's
> 30 year old protocol, give me some slack!)
>
> That is why Evolution puts everything into your Inbox "On this
> Computer" ready for you to sort through (either physically or
> automatically).  All Outlook is doing is automatically sorting it
> whether you want it to or not.
>
> P.

Pete,

Thanks for the explanation, given that I only have 1 POP3 account I
will just treat "On this computer" as that account. I may redo the
account as IMAP like it was originally as I am not sure why I selected
the POP3 version when I switched to Linux. Particularly as the
filtering idea sounds a bit complex.

Siv

Re: POP3 features / Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Please excuse me for re-ordering the post so it's better to reply to.
(Please don't top post to this list)

> > POP means "post office protocol". The concept behind it is that it
> > works like the post office: you have a mailbox in the post office that
> > all your mail is delivered into and you retrieve it from there. That's
> > all it does. You can go and get your mail and parcels from USPS or UPS
> > or whoever but they all end up in the same place - your hands! (It's a
> > 30 year old protocol, give me some slack!)
> >
> > That is why Evolution puts everything into your Inbox "On this
> > Computer" ready for you to sort through (either physically or
> > automatically).  All Outlook is doing is automatically sorting it
> > whether you want it to or not.
> >
> RFC 1939  - POP3 says there is the DELE command, with which a client
> can decide to leave the email on the server or delete it.

Yes, I know, but that is, to be honest, and I hope you don't mind me
saying, a bizarre response to my post. I was very careful NOT to make
any comment on the benefits or otherwise of the protocol. It was merely
an explanation and background as to why Evolution delivers POP mail to
a particular mailbox.

It is up to the user to decide what is best for them. If they asked
"should I use POP or IMAP", then I could give them the pros and cons of
each, which would no doubt include a discussion of how POP by default
removes mail when it is retrieved, but POP3 has extended the protocol
to allow mail to stay on the server and be subsequently deleted - and
it would also include my opinion that for a novice user who has no
specific requirements, IMAP is invariably the route to go - POP3 has
its place for some people.

Re: POP3 features / Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Adam Tauno Williams
On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 21:33 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> each, which would no doubt include a discussion of how POP by default
> removes mail when it is retrieved, but POP3 has extended the protocol
> to allow mail to stay on the server and be subsequently deleted - and
> it would also include my opinion that for a novice user who has no
> specific requirements, IMAP is invariably the route to go - POP3 has
> its place for some people.

I would only add to "POP3 has its place for some people" that most of
the time those "some people" are still wrong.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 20:18 +0000, Siv wrote:

> Pete,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, given that I only have 1 POP3 account I
> will just treat "On this computer" as that account. I may redo the
> account as IMAP like it was originally as I am not sure why I selected
> the POP3 version when I switched to Linux. Particularly as the
> filtering idea sounds a bit complex.

I also appreciate the explanation.

It is unhelpful that evolution by default chose pop3 for
[hidden email].  (I don't know which version because it's not my
computer, it's a 90 minute drive to visit it, and the owner isn't home
anyway.  I can ask her for the version when she gets home next week, if
it's actually interesting.)

I don't know what the newest version does.  I hope it either offers a
menu or radio button, or maybe a "query servers for server types"
button.

If a service offers both imap and pop protocols, it seems to me that
imap is definitely to be preferred.

Re: Mail server doesn't show up

Pete Biggs

> It is unhelpful that evolution by default chose pop3 for
> [hidden email].

I've just tried to configure a yahoo account and it does it as IMAP on
the version I use (3.28.3).  I don't know why it chose to use POP for
you - I didn't think that POP was the default for anything!

> I don't know what the newest version does.  I hope it either offers a
> menu or radio button, or maybe a "query servers for server types"
> button.

Again, this is on the latest stable version, but when you enter the
account identity on the configuration pages there is a tick box at the
bottom that controls if it tries to look up what to do for that
particular email address. (It's a standard DNS lookup feature that most
mail providers implement.)  I think on previous versions it was a
button that allowed you to skip the lookups.  If you don't let it
automatically choose the account type you get a config page with a
drop-down to choose what to use.

> If a service offers both imap and pop protocols, it seems to me that
> imap is definitely to be preferred.

IMAP is the default AFAICS.

12