Maildir account broken by update?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maildir account broken by update?

fabien
Dear all,

I'm running Evolution 3.12.9 in Debian (Jessie) to display emails from
an IMAP, POP and MailDir accounts. This is the last version in Jessie,
namely 3.12.9~git20141130.241663-1.
Earlier today a bunch of packages got updated (without any problem,
apparently).

However, when starting Evolution afterwards, the emails related to the
MailDir account could no longer be displayed.

In my preferences/Account/Receiving email page, the directory is now set
to (None) instead of my MailDir folder, and setting it back doesn't
help : opening the page again shows it's back to (None).

Making Evolution re-create a new folders.db didn't help.

Also, trying to create a new MailDir account yields the same problem
than the initial MailDir account. It seems impossible to set the
Directory to something else than (None)...

Any idea?

Best regards,
Fabien



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maildir account broken by update?

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 22:45 +0200, fabien wrote:

> I'm running Evolution 3.12.9 in Debian (Jessie) to display emails from
> an IMAP, POP and MailDir accounts. This is the last version in Jessie,
> namely 3.12.9~git20141130.241663-1.
> Earlier today a bunch of packages got updated (without any problem,
> apparently).
>
> However, when starting Evolution afterwards, the emails related to the
> MailDir account could no longer be displayed.
>
> In my preferences/Account/Receiving email page, the directory is now set
> to (None) instead of my MailDir folder, and setting it back doesn't
> help : opening the page again shows it's back to (None).

According to the user documentation, account data is stored under
~/.config/evolution/sources/
Are that folder (plus your MailDir folder itself) writable?

> Making Evolution re-create a new folders.db didn't help.
>
> Also, trying to create a new MailDir account yields the same problem
> than the initial MailDir account. It seems impossible to set the
> Directory to something else than (None)...
>
> Any idea?

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maildir account broken by update?

fabien
On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 23:11 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 22:45 +0200, fabien wrote:
> > I'm running Evolution 3.12.9 in Debian (Jessie) to display emails from
> > an IMAP, POP and MailDir accounts. This is the last version in Jessie,
> > namely 3.12.9~git20141130.241663-1.
> > Earlier today a bunch of packages got updated (without any problem,
> > apparently).
> >
> > However, when starting Evolution afterwards, the emails related to the
> > MailDir account could no longer be displayed.
> >
> > In my preferences/Account/Receiving email page, the directory is now set
> > to (None) instead of my MailDir folder, and setting it back doesn't
> > help : opening the page again shows it's back to (None).
>
> According to the user documentation, account data is stored under
> ~/.config/evolution/sources/
> Are that folder (plus your MailDir folder itself) writable?
>

Yes they are. Sorry I forgot to mention I made these tests also.
Fabien

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maildir account broken by update?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 00:10 +0200, fabien wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 23:11 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 22:45 +0200, fabien wrote:
> > > However, when starting Evolution afterwards, the emails related
> > > to the MailDir account could no longer be displayed.

        Hi,
do you know what had been updated, please? Was even evolution or
evolution-data-server packages updated too? Does it help to downgrade
it/them?

> > > In my preferences/Account/Receiving email page, the directory is
> > > now set to (None) instead of my MailDir folder, and setting it
> > > back doesn't help : opening the page again shows it's back to
> > > (None).

I think there was some UI glitch which showed the path as None even it
had been properly set in the background, but it's a long time since
3.12.9 (the current stable series is 3.28, if you wonder), thus I can
be wrong.

> > According to the user documentation, account data is stored under
> > ~/.config/evolution/sources/
> > Are that folder (plus your MailDir folder itself) writable?
> >
>
> Yes they are. Sorry I forgot to mention I made these tests also.

It's the path in the corresponding .source file which matters the most.
When you run evolution from a terminal, does it show anything? I mean
like a runtime warning, not anything with enabled debugging. You can
try to right-click the folder name in the left folder tree and pick
Refresh there, even couple times, if it's available in your version.
Also, checking content of the newly created folders.db file may give
you a chance to see whether evolution(-data-server) found the mails. If
it's there, then you might have set some filter in the Evolution view
for that folder. And as there had been another glitch in the past,
which made it look like the folder has no filter, but it had been
filtered anyway, I suggest to do some filter, like "Subject contains
a", and then clear it.

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list