Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Bjørn T Johansen
After upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2 on my Arch distro yesterday, there are some strangeness occuring:

- Error everytime I open Evolution, "Failed to connect.." to different folders and contac lists (using EWS)
- I have an IMAP account (Dovecot), where sometimes when I now recieve a new email, I get a notification for the new email but the new email is missing in action. When I go the folder where this new email arrived, I get the notification again (everytime I enter that folder actually) but no email. When I close Evolution and open it again, then the email appear..
- The same account, I can choose "Mark all messages as read" on a folder and nothing seems to happen. But next time I look, then suddenly all messages have been marked a read...

Not sure if this is the new version of Evolution or if it's an Arch issue but perhaps there is a way to find out?


Regards,

BTJ

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bjørn T Johansen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 08:55 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> After upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2 on my Arch distro yesterday,

        Hi,
I'm getting dislike Arch. You surely do not have 3.24.2, that had not
been released yet. The way the Arch maintainer does his/her duty leads
only to confusion for users and nothing else. It's a very wrong
approach, from my point of view. The packager should use
-DVERSION_SUBSTRING="+gitXXXXXX", eventually
-DVERSION_COMMENT="+gitXXXXXX", (though none of this is shown in
Help->About (I'm changing it for the next release), only in
`evolution --version`) during the build (pass to cmake command) and
skip the commit where the version is bumped just after the previous
release, then everything will make sense and not be confusing. I know
it's not your fault, I'm just saying this here publicly (even this is
not the right mailing list to deal with this issue, I'm sorry).

> - Error everytime I open Evolution, "Failed to connect.." to
> different folders and contac lists (using EWS)

Does it say also why it failed to connect there? Do you configure the
account in evolution, or in GNOME Online Accounts? What if you remove
that EWS account (not only disable) and then recreate it from scratch,
will it help?

> - I have an IMAP account (Dovecot)...

Maybe you face (with both IMAP issues) something similar to:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1440068
It's still under investigation.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:15:39 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
>I'm getting dislike Arch. You surely do not have 3.24.2, that had not
>been released yet.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53840

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 11:03 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:15:39 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > I'm getting dislike Arch. You surely do not have 3.24.2, that had
> > not been released yet.
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53840

        Hi,
thanks for filling it upstream, Ralf, I appreciate it.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Bjørn T Johansen
In reply to this post by Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 09:15 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 08:55 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > After upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2 on my Arch distro yesterday, 
>
> Hi,
> I'm getting dislike Arch. You surely do not have 3.24.2, that had not
> been released yet. The way the Arch maintainer does his/her duty leads
> only to confusion for users and nothing else. It's a very wrong
> approach, from my point of view. The packager should use
> -DVERSION_SUBSTRING="+gitXXXXXX", eventually
> -DVERSION_COMMENT="+gitXXXXXX", (though none of this is shown in
> Help->About (I'm changing it for the next release), only in
> `evolution --version`) during the build (pass to cmake command) and
> skip the commit where the version is bumped just after the previous
> release, then everything will make sense and not be confusing. I know
> it's not your fault, I'm just saying this here publicly (even this is
> not the right mailing list to deal with this issue, I'm sorry).

Understand your frustration.. But I see an issue has been created for this..

>
> > - Error everytime I open Evolution, "Failed to connect.." to
> > different folders and contac lists (using EWS)
>
> Does it say also why it failed to connect there? Do you configure the
> account in evolution, or in GNOME Online Accounts? What if you remove
> that EWS account (not only disable) and then recreate it from scratch,
> will it help?

It says: "Failed to connect address book.." and the name of the address book. And the error message says: "No response: Cancelled"
I configured the account using Evolution.
Will try to recreate the account later..

>
> > - I have an IMAP account (Dovecot)...
>
> Maybe you face (with both IMAP issues) something similar to:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1440068
> It's still under investigation.
>

Yes, that sounds similar. But I also have a problem that I do not see new recieved email for a folder until I restart Evolution, this happens
sometimes..


BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 13:17 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> It says: "Failed to connect address book.." and the name of the
> address book. And the error message says: "No response: Cancelled"

        Hi,
I see, maybe it's related to this one:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781590


> Yes, that sounds similar. But I also have a problem that I do not see
> new recieved email for a folder until I restart Evolution, this
> happens sometimes..

It can be slightly different outcome with the same cause. But I'm not
sure either, thus it requires more investigation. I didn't get it with
my accounts at least, which makes it harder to investigate for me.

        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 15:22 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 13:17 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > It says: "Failed to connect address book.." and the name of the
> > address book. And the error message says: "No response: Cancelled"
>
> I see, maybe it's related to this one:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781590

        Hi,
if, by any chance, you use libsoup 2.58.0, then please downgrade to
2.56.0. I've been able to reproduce these errors with 2.58.0, but after
downgrade it's all fine as before. I updated the above bug accordingly
and moved it to libsoup.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

Bjørn T Johansen
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 17:24 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 15:22 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 13:17 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > > It says: "Failed to connect address book.." and the name of the
> > > address book. And the error message says: "No response: Cancelled"
> >
> > I see, maybe it's related to this one:
> > https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781590
>
> Hi,
> if, by any chance, you use libsoup 2.58.0, then please downgrade to
> 2.56.0. I've been able to reproduce these errors with 2.58.0, but after
> downgrade it's all fine as before. I updated the above bug accordingly
> and moved it to libsoup.
> Bye,
> Milan

Yes, downgrading to 2.56.0 fixes these address book errors... 

BTJ

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

oSIRus
In reply to this post by Bjørn T Johansen
I get exactly the same behaviour, also IMAP with Dovecot on my end.

Evolution 3.24.2
Loading...